If the law was you can only own one gun what would it be ?

phantom

If the stipulation calls for one caliber-gauge I would lean toward at high quality pump action 12 ga shotgun. Not the best for every single situation but the huge variety of ammo types available it could handle just about any kind of hunting or self defense.

If a single firearm with the ability to change barrels were allowed the Thompson Center Encore single shot would be the one I would chose. A barrel is made to cover just about any type of caliber or gauge for hunting or shooting.  These are high quality firearms, I have hunted with single shots for a long time and never felt hampered. 

Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I was not talking about Afghanistan.  What are their gun laws?

I was talking about the U.S.

If germans had guns back before Hitler came into power it would not have made a difference,they wanted him in power. 

So your arguments are all over the place.

Yea ok tell that to the 6 million jews  that got put in ovens me thinks guns would have helped No!  At least they take a few nazi scum  with them that way fighting back .

If I could only have one gun....hmmm. I'd have to go WAY back to when I really did have just one gun. That gun did everything for me. Birds, small game, turkeys, deer, targets, home defence, though there was no need for that back then.

Ithaca Modle 37 in 16g.

I still have that gun. And she still gets out for squirrels at least once a year. Action is still flawless. And it would probably be the very last gun I'd part with.

Now....lets get this thread back on target fella's. Whadayasay???

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

The fantasy of acting like the Taliban is your best argument for guns?

…Recall that the Afghan army was trained and heavily armed and didn’t put up a fight. You think you would’ve done more with your AR? 

At least I wouldn't be  raped or tortured  or be  burned alive you do realized that is what they do over there  rather go out fighting  and have a chance .

Personally for me in this hypo, I’m assuming I get one barrel.

I’d have to go 870 pump smoothie with the appropriate chokes.

Jack of all trades and time tested. Not a sexy choice, but sometimes you got to pick getting the job done vs sexy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Try looking at America's love of firearms the way Germans love beer.  What would happen in Germany if the government started controlling beer with the intention of eliminating it and locking up people who drink it?

(Damn.  Another General Chit Chat post gone political.  Can't seem to avoid it.)

Go in the corner for 10 minutes lol

28 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Somebody tell me how only allowing reputable gun owners to have only one gun, solves any of the gun problems we have in this country.  What would be the reason for this?

Don't know but i have heard politicians saying they  want laws like this i think they think it makes it harder for criminals to steal or some crazy argument  like that I heard some clown on cnn saying  or maybe it was so they can confiscate them that much more easier probably . You know they get you a little at a time . Like they been doing with the covid19 first it was 1 week  then it was months of lock downs and masks and passports now . 

The fact we are discussing having only one firearm because the government dictates it, vs having only one because we choose to have only one, indicates a lack of resistance to government over reach.

If you have to choose only one for your own benefit, that's fine.

To accept only having one for the government's benefit, is submissive.

As more time goes by, I am more inclined to be thinking of choosing one of my muzzleloaders. Most likely my flinter in .54 cal. If things were so screwy you only had one gun, chances are getting ammo for even that would be dicey. No problems with that for me. Worse case, all the ingredients for my powder at Walmart (yep, been there done that) and flint...well, I am a crappy knapper, but no one regulates rocks! Now, currently blackpowder firearms do not even fall under the category of modern arms, you can buy them on line, no registration. IF that is still the situation, then my decision is just as easy. 

I still have my ML, so I add a 20 gauge Ithaca 37 with a slug bbl and ventilated rib varichoke for all small game hunting, etc. Tough call on that one though....it may be replaced by a Colt 1911 .45 with a .22 conversion kit.

30 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The fact we are discussing having only one firearm because the government dictates it, vs having only one because we choose to have only one, indicates a lack of resistance to government over reach.

If you have to choose only one for your own benefit, that's fine.

To accept only having one for the government's benefit, is submissive.

Yea well besides that  what if there some end of days scenario where you have to leave your house on foot in a rush  and only have time or room in your pack  to hold one firearm that you will be using for everything for a while . Never mind the gov for a moment Keep it none political .

Unfortunately, over in some European countries, they are only allowed or can only afford to own one firearm.

To get around this, Most choose a rifle platform that has barrel/caliber changing capabilities.

So my choice would be my Blaser R8 rifle with as many barrels I could afford.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yea well besides that  what if there some end of days scenario where you have to leave your house on foot in a rush  and only have time or room in your pack  to hold one firearm that you will be using for everything for a while . Never mind the gov for a moment Keep it none political .

In that case a 12 gauge pump over my shoulder with a sling, a black synthetic VEPR semi auto in .308 in my hands, a Glock 21 .45 on my side, a Ruger Police Service Six .357 on my chest and a Kel-Tec P3-AT in my pocket.  But I wouldn't be leaving alone and I would arm the others with me in a similar fashion.  One man alone with one gun isn't going to survive when confronted by multiple men with multiple guns.  Might as well just stay home.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

So in other words, which gun you be your most versatile hunter?

• Haha 1

I guess it's back to the corner of the world I made to avoid the dictatorship of loud fingered jagoffs who just can't STFU with mudding everything up arguing politics. This whole country makes me sad these days, the left are still the left and the right ( at least many on here ) is turning into the left by acting the same way and throwing temper tantrums if you don't do everything just their way.

SMH.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I guess it's back to the corner of the world I made to avoid the dictatorship of loud fingered jagoffs who just can't STFU with mudding everything up arguing politics. This whole country makes me sad these days, the left are still the left and the right ( at least many on here ) is turning into the left by acting the same way and throwing temper tantrums if you don't do everything just their way.

SMH.

I’m in agreement .

A thread about guns on a hunting forum, doesn’t require being posted in the political area , yet the same couple of guys ( who we all know will show up ) ruin it . Every. Damn . Time . It’s almost like they’re plants from PETA sent to sabotage the forum .

Well the sil and I had an enjoyable time , shooting ARs, 9mm and a .22 rifle this morning , now I’m going to float in the pool . 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m in agreement .

A thread about guns on a hunting forum, doesn’t require being posted in the political area , yet the same couple of guys ( who we all know will show up ) ruin it . Every. Damn . Time . It’s almost like they’re plants from PETA sent to sabotage the forum .

Well the sil and I had an enjoyable time , shooting ARs, 9mm and a .22 rifle this morning , now I’m going to float in the pool . 

Grouse and bowman.  And I’d bet if grouse was removed from the forum things would go back to quasi normal.  I’ll be labeled a anti first amendment fascist nazi communist dictator for saying that, but F it lol.  Im a couple moscow mules deep. 

i had enjoyable day outdoors today too.  Hit the surf with my son and caught a couple nice jacks. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

SMH.

Everybody's right! And Everybody else is Wrong!!! 

Sad times now days. We're not Americans anymore. We are a bunch of bickering, politically tied nobody's, who refuse to see, we are ALL worse off divided. United We Stand Divided We Fall. Where have I heard that before??? No political party is right ALL the time! All have their idiots! All have their ones who want to work For The People! Though those are becoming more and more rare. Too many are just blinded by what they refuse to see.

I come here to sometimes get away from all the noise of everyday life. Sort of like going to the woods, but not quite. Lately though, the volume here is turned up so loud, by a few who would rather argue politics, and call each other silly names. That I wonder if just going to the woods more, would be better time spent. I know it will be for me. If anything, just follow the damned forum rules, and bicker till the cows come home in the Political Section!!! But few listen anymore. And fewer yet follow any set rules. It's all about "MY" point of view, and to hell with everyone else's. So there....I just gave mine. 

• Like 8