Cap and Ball Revolvers

Splitear

18 minutes ago, Splitear said:

I’m really thinking my next firearm purchase will be and black powder cap and ball revolver. Does anyone have experience with them and have a recommendation of a good one to start with?

I had several over the yrs. Bought them cheap and resold. Had fun shooting them. It was almost therapeutic loading, shooting, cleaning, repeat. Mine were repos of original pistols. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mowin said:

I had several over the yrs. Bought them cheap and resold. Had fun shooting them. It was almost therapeutic loading, shooting, cleaning, repeat. Mine were repos of original pistols. 

That’s exactly the reason I want one.  I love the process, and even enjoy the cleaning. I’m probably looking at a reproduction, maybe an 1851 Navy. 

5 minutes ago, Splitear said:

That’s exactly the reason I want one.  I love the process, and even enjoy the cleaning. I’m probably looking at a reproduction, maybe an 1851 Navy. 

It's intoxicating actually. 

I'm almost regretting selling, except for the triple ROI.  Lol. 

• Like 1

I have a PIetta reproduction of a Remington 1858 New Model Army.  I swear, cap and ball revolvers are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  I chose the 1858 because it has the top strap on the frame, similar to a modern revolver.  That makes for a stronger frame, which means I can load 34 grains of T7 and a conical without blowing the thing apart.  

My original plan was to try to kill a deer with it.  But I shot it over a chronograph, calculated the KE at 20 yards, and rethought that idea.  

I can't speak for the 1851 Navy, but I really like the New Model Army.  The Colt Navy is probably my next gun purchase though.  At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter what you get because you are going to want more of them.  

SIDE NOTE: Keep in mind, an unloaded BP pistol is not a firearm in NY.  That means the guy at the sporting goods store will hand you the gun and tell you to have a nice day.  But to add it to your permit, which you need to do before simultaneously possessing the means to load and fire it (thanks, NY), you may need some paperwork from the store showing the make/model/serial number/etc.  Wherever you buy, just try to get as much of that paperwork as you can so you don't run into issues at the permit office.  The folks in the Erie Office had no idea what it was that I was trying to do or why I didn't have the usual paperwork showing a clear NICS check.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I have a PIetta reproduction of a Remington 1858 New Model Army.  I swear, cap and ball revolvers are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  I chose the 1858 because it has the top strap on the frame, similar to a modern revolver.  That makes for a stronger frame, which means I can load 34 grains of T7 and a conical without blowing the thing apart.  

My original plan was to try to kill a deer with it.  But I shot it over a chronograph, calculated the KE at 20 yards, and rethought that idea.  

I can't speak for the 1851 Navy, but I really like the New Model Army.  The Colt Navy is probably my next gun purchase though.  At the end of the day though, it doesn't really matter what you get because you are going to want more of them.  

SIDE NOTE: Keep in mind, an unloaded BP pistol is not a firearm in NY.  That means the guy at the sporting goods store will hand you the gun and tell you to have a nice day.  But to add it to your permit, which you need to do before simultaneously possessing the means to load and fire it (thanks, NY), you may need some paperwork from the store showing the make/model/serial number/etc.  Wherever you buy, just try to get as much of that paperwork as you can so you don't run into issues at the permit office.  The folks in the Erie Office had no idea what it was that I was trying to do or why I didn't have the usual paperwork showing a clear NICS check.  

WOW Thanks for the sidenote I had no idea about that,I'm looking for a .54 cal trapper cap and ball pistol to go with my rifle.

@rachunter: I bought my Pietta at Cabelas and just left with the gun and the receipt from the cash register.  I went to the Erie County Permit Office to have it added to my permit and they had no idea what to do.  They were also very concerned that I possessed the gun without it being on my permit.  

I wound up having to go back to Cabelas a few days later to get the purchase paperwork they usually give with a modern handgun purchase.  Where it says "NICS check," they just wrote "N/A."  

I took that back to the office and they were very concerned about why no NICS check was performed.  Finally, two supervisors later, they understood what I was trying to do and added it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caveman said:

I’m going to keep my eye out at the auction and try to pick one up from there. They can run the paperwork there so I can get it added home hopefully without much hassle. Thanks for the advice. 

40 minutes ago, hunter said:

I think you can only hunt with single shot ml pistols that are on your permit. and limits on caliber.

During ML season, you can only hunt with single shots.  You can use a Cap and ball revolver during regular firearms season though.  

Not to my knowledge, but keep in mind BP out of such a short barrel doesn't generate a ton of velocity, which in turn translates to a fairly low KE and killing power.  I calculated the average KE of a .44 round ball out of my 1858 to be about 350 ft/lbs at hunting distances.  That gave me ethical concerns, so I'd say bigger is better.   

You can buy a black powder revolver (like a bp rifle) online and have it legally delivered to your door. Usually. Depends on vendor. Once you own the components you need to have it registered on your permit. 

Brick and mortar stores in NY will usually have a store policy that you must have a NYS pistol permit in order to buy one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:09 AM, Daveboone said:

You can buy a black powder revolver (like a bp rifle) online and have it legally delivered to your door. Usually. Depends on vendor. Once you own the components you need to have it registered on your permit. 

Brick and mortar stores in NY will usually have a store policy that you must have a NYS pistol permit in order to buy one.

So how would you go about getting it added to your permit? I assumed that an FFL transfer was the only way, but I have done 0 research....

On 8/29/2021 at 10:27 AM, Nomad said:

My understanding is , in NYS you can buy one with no permit . You can not ever load it , or even have the components to load it without it being on your permit .

What I was informed about ML pistols/revolvers: No permit needed to own or even carry. Once you have BP along with the pistol/revolver, you need a permit. Along referring to having in possession and not necessary already loaded. If you already have an existing permit it's easy to add-on in your county.

16 hours ago, Splitear said:

So how would you go about getting it added to your permit? I assumed that an FFL transfer was the only way, but I have done 0 research....

Just call your local permit office and ask them. I am guessing that you just take the serial # and model # information in once you recieve it and they add it (maybe the reciept?)

Pretty sure there is no need for FFL involvement with just the BP pistol, either to purchase or ship. Some online sellers don't know each states laws, so they default to requiring a FFL. To carry or possess one along with BP will require the pistol be added to your permit, as stated above. Because of the type of pistol it is, there weren't any questions or further background checks done on me before simply being added to permit.

• 3 months later...

DSCN0058.thumb.jpeg.428f198188f66015c20edb2595418fd2.jpeg

This is the first pistol I made. I engraved No.1 on the barrel which was accepted by the county clerk for registration, explaining that I made it and it did not come from someone, or vendor was a problem though and after quite a bit of back and forth I gave her the company where I bought the barrel. I have since made a handfull more of them with zero problems registering them. As big a PIA the NY permit system is, our county is very good about it.

Robby

• Like 4