Broadhead tuning question

onlybrowning

I recently got a new Bowtech Solution and a new arrow setup and am fine tuning it for the season. I am shooting 30" draw, 71lbs with Sirius Vulcan 250 spine arrows cut 30.5" carbon to carbon, with 200 grain Grizzlystik Samurai broadheads for a total arrow weight of 652 grains. They are 4 fletch if it matters. My broadheads and field points are hitting the same spot, which is really great. However, I can see the arrow flying nock left. A shot through my crude paper tuning setup confirms this. I am concerned if I go messing with my rest or nock point to address this, I will lose the "tune" of the broadheads and field points impacting the same. This is my first experience with tuning broadheads so I thought I'd ask the opinion of others here. Thanks for any input on this. 

2 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

You need to tune the nock left out of it.  You want the best arrow flight, even if it means moving your sights for broadheads.  There's no reason your FP and BH should hit the same spot.  It's a different arrow with the BH on and that's the one you're going to hunt with.  

A properly tuned bow will have the broadhead and FP , always hit together. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, onlybrowning said:

I’ve shot it out to 40 and they are hitting the same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are hitting  the same spot at 40yds then it's not likely that far out of tune. Not enough to worry about.

Typically an out of tune bow and or arrow will have different point of impacts between a field point and broadhead equipped arrow.

When the arrow  flies  crooked it gives the broadhead an opportunity to steer the arrow .. When flying perfectly straight , not so much..

If you like to tinker , go ahead and try to perfect it . Otherwise enjoy. You or the deer will never know the difference..imho.

Have you had someone else shoot your bow through paper ? You may be tourqing the bow that can also cause your arrow to make contact with your cables.....make sure when paper tuning to do it at atleast 10ft ...also do a walk back tune start at 10 yards and go back to 25 and see if you can group arrows...if you can then it may just be you are shooting such a heavy arrow it takes time to correct itself hence paper tuning it at 10 or 12ft

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

If you are hitting  the same spot at 40yds then it's not likely that far out of tune. Not enough to worry about.
Typically an out of tune bow and or arrow will have different point of impacts between a field point and broadhead equipped arrow.
 When the arrow  flies  crooked it gives the broadhead an opportunity to steer the arrow .. When flying perfectly straight , not so much..
If you like to tinker , go ahead and try to perfect it . Otherwise enjoy. You or the deer will never know the difference..imho.

I don’t necessarily mind tinkering…but we are getting close to go time.

I don’t believe there is rest contact.

5 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

That makes zero sense, as they are aerodynamically a different arrow.  

Lets agree to diasgree,

But no matter what broadhead you put in the front of the arrow, if the bow is in perfect tune and you replace the human error by using the hooter shooter, the BH & FP will group perfectly together.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, onlybrowning said:

I don’t necessarily mind tinkering…but we are getting close to go time.

I don’t believe there is rest contact.

You could put lipstick on the rest and shoot an arrow to see if there is contact on fletching. 

Sometimes if you are feeling at shot you are experiencing nock left, it could also be fletching hitting the cables if you are right handed.

Edited by suburbanfarmer

7 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Lets agree to diasgree,

But no matter what broadhead you put in the front of the arrow, if the bow is in perfect tune and you replace the human error by using the hooter shooter, the BH & FP will group perfectly together.

I hear you, but people aren't hooter shooters so the idea that the BH & FP will group the same ends up being theory not reality.  If it were absolutely true then why do people put on their BH and test them?  Often they do NOT fly the same.  Whether that is human error or the bow out of tune, it doesn't matter.  It needs to be addressed.

I'm not saying that FP and BH shooting together at 40 is a big issue, but it doesn't sound like perfect arrow flight.  

3 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I hear you, but people aren't hooter shooters so the idea that the BH & FP will group the same ends up being theory not reality.  If it were absolutely true then why do people put on their BH and test them?  Often they do NOT fly the same.  Whether that is human error or the bow out of tune, it doesn't matter.  It needs to be addressed.

I'm not saying that FP and BH shooting together at 40 is a big issue, but it doesn't sound like perfect arrow flight.  

I feel if the OP can group them good to 40yds than at this time with season approaching, why change things..IMHO

3 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I also have to disagree with you on BH flight. A perfectly tuned bow should shoot a bareshaft, bh and fp into the same spot. If you have perfect arrow flight having a bh on the front should make no difference.

To the op,our eyes can deceive us on arrow flight as well. If you have a somewhat newer phone you can make a slow motion recording of your shots and that will tell you if something is happening that shouldn't. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I also have to disagree with you on BH flight. A perfectly tuned bow should shoot a bareshaft, bh and fp into the same spot. If you have perfect arrow flight having a bh on the front should make no difference.

I understand the concept.  The OP doesn't have perfect arrow flight.  You guys can imagine "perfect" all you want.  If it were really true you would tune your bow with FP, screw on your BH and hunt without shooting them.  In the real world you check anyway in case the BH exposes an issue. The statement is true in a vacuum.  That's why you qualify it with lots of IF and SHOULD.  All I'm saying is that you need to prove it by shooting the BH too.

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I understand the concept.  The OP doesn't have perfect arrow flight.  You guys can imagine "perfect" all you want.  If it were really true you would tune your bow with FP, screw on your BH and hunt without shooting them.  In the real world you check anyway in case the BH exposes an issue. The statement is true in a vacuum.  That's why you qualify it with lots of IF and SHOULD.  All I'm saying is that you need to prove it by shooting the BH too.

Agreed. The bh will show if the bow is 100% tuned or not. It is a better tuning tool than paper in my opinion.

I still think he may have perfect arrow flight. I can't imagine a scenario where your arrows kick and still have the same poi at 40 yds with fieldpoints and broadheads. Any kick will make the Bh plane much more than the fieldpoint. I think his eyes are betraying him. Light and shadow can make you see things. 

The other possibility is that I know nothing, haha.

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 2

Agreed. The bh will show if the bow is 100% tuned or not. It is a better tuning tool than paper in my opinion.
I still think he may have perfect arrow flight. I can't imagine a scenario where your arrows kick and still have the same poi at 40 yds with fieldpoints and broadheads. Any kick will make the Bh plane much more than the fieldpoint. I think his eyes are betraying him. Light and shadow can make you see things. 
The other possibility is that I know nothing, haha.

I hope it’s my eyes deceiving me! But…the paper showed a left tear. I’m starting to think it is poor, but consistent form lol.

I am hoping to video it and post it as well as soon as I can.

• Like 2