Youth and Veteran weekend Northern zone Duck Hunting

billey100

I just thought I would throw this out here in case there is a chance that someone else falls into this scenario.  My son turned 12 in April, has his lifetime license and is set to duck hunt this fall.  While we live in the Southern zone I am planning to take him for the youth weekend 9/17 and 9/18 in the Northern zone.  On that note I am also a veteran, which happens to now have a special weekend in that same zone, same weekend.

Long story short it's not spelled out in the regs but after several calls to that zone and Albany we need a third party non-gun mentor to come with us.  The theory being that if I am shooting and he is shooting I can't focus on safety for him.  Totally understandable just wanted to pass it along that it's an odd scenario that they haven't accounted for in spelling out that weekend in technical words.  Would hate for someone to get pinched for hunting just the two of you when you are both legally hunting.

• Like 1