1st Doe Mount

Pav2704

I thought I would try doing my own mount this year and figured I would use the doe I shot during the last week of rifle upstate. I have to say after it is finished, the taxidermy guys definately deserve every cent they charge. I didn't realize how tedious and difficult the fleshing actually was!! I had to do a neck mount because I cut the cape to short. I watched a video on caping a deer after I did it. lol All in all, it's not perfect by any means, but looks pretty good for a first attemt. I will definately try it again next year.

post-1950-0-76255100-1332614794_thumb.jp

post-1950-0-23684800-1332614811_thumb.jp

post-1950-0-80619100-1332614820_thumb.jp

post-1950-0-09579500-1332614833_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks awesome. Wonder how it will hold up though, ( no offence) i just have seen work done by professionals and have seen them basically fall right apart and lose color and fade and just not look too good after awhile. But still, amazing job for your first mount, deffinatly a good looking mount.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job, and very cool of you to take on a new challenge!

I'd imagine that's gonna get real addicting! Might want to keep an eye out for some roadkill to practice on this summer.

Looking forward to your next piece.

Thanks again guys!

Bigamefish, I got a tanning kit from McKenzies. It was actually pretty simple to do.

Here are the instructions from McKenzies:

http://www.mckenziesp.com/KB/HTML%20KB/mckenzietan/mckenzietaninst.asp

Wooly... its funny that you mention practicing with roadkill because I witnessed a doe that was hit by a car a little passed my daughters school. The guy must of had some damage to his car, not really sure because he didnt stop. Anyway I had to call the DEC because the doe broke both hind legs and bedded down a few feet in from the road. As I was looking at her I noticed that she was COVERED in TICS. Never saw that many before. Secondly, the DEC used a head shot to put the doe down. Not something I want to see again.

Definately need to keep practicing though. Skinning the head, especially around the tear ducts is tough and thinning the lips is a lot of work. But I definately look foward to doing it again this year.