Early antlerless season 9/11-9/19

WNYTRPR

23 minutes ago, G-Man said:

The best part of that is 10 % of the hunters take 90% of the game... being a bad hunter doesn't help so the 90% complaint is probably true

Judging by the group that I know hunts, this is true .

I am guilty of letting many doe walk when I could have easily harvested .

Edited by WNYTRPR

The late season is with a muzzleloader. I am fine with that season IMO because cold weather sets in and reduces herd stress with lower hunters out. I wish they'd shorten regular, make it split (if needed as noted), and later after T-Day.

EAB isn't rock solid biology IMO or hunter management. None of that crap makes a difference on a macro level when small private parcels are the lay of the land and most people sit in a stand not disrupting their grounds. Fix access above all else.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, phade said:

The late season is with a muzzleloader. I am fine with that season IMO because cold weather sets in and reduces herd stress with lower hunters out. I wish they'd shorten regular, make it split (if needed as noted), and later after T-Day.

EAB isn't rock solid biology IMO or hunter management. None of that crap makes a difference on a macro level when small private parcels are the lay of the land and most people sit in a stand not disrupting their grounds. Fix access above all else.

x2

2 hours ago, WNYTRPR said:

Judging by the group that I know hunts, this is true .

I am guilty of letting many doe walk when I could have easily harvested .

grampy said it well though too, not everyone needs more than one deer. My dad is in this boat. Just him and my mom left and he'd obviously rather harvest a buck. Me? I could use 3 or 4 haha.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Donate them

That's just not me, and hopefully others can respect that. If I'm going to take a life it's for me and my family. Sure I might give some cuts or sausage to friends and extended family, but that's about it. I don't have issue with those who donate, just as I hope others understand that it's not for me to shoot and donate.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

That's just not me, and hopefully others can respect that. If I'm going to take a life it's for me and my family. Sure I might give some cuts or sausage to friends and extended family, but that's about it. I don't have issue with those who donate, just as I hope others understand that it's not for me to shoot and donate.

"Just not you"...I don't understand. If it's not wasted, helps achieve management goals and isn't costing you anything, what's the negative?

• Like 1

I got a great feeling donating about 30 pounds to a family from Moog’s church . Honestly it seemed they needed the meat, where for me it’s just a benefit from a hobby , that I try to eat up before the next season .

• Like 4

5 hours ago, wolc123 said:

It had been a few years since we ate any doe meat, but the last one that we just started on a few weeks ago is pretty good.  It had been in the freezer and vacuum sealed since November 2019.  

We have been cooking the roasts in the crock pot, and even my daughters are really liking them. There is only one of them roasts left in the freezer now. That gives me incentive to get out there early.  

I have a busy afternoon planned: checking the zeros on 3 guns, trimming some shooting lanes, and planting a couple of wheat/white clover plots.  

I'm just curious why you think a buck tastes better then a doe?

44 minutes ago, Belo said:

You buy the tags ,put the time in ,and use your equipment to harvest ,it’s your choice what you do with it ,nobody else’s.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

I'm just curious why you think a buck tastes better then a doe?

My issue with does, is that it takes me a lot of extra effort trimming fat, compared to bucks.   Because of that, it takes me about an hour and a half longer, on average, to process a doe.   

As long as I put in the time to do that fat trimming, then I think does taste as good or even slightly better than bucks of the same age.  Our girls definitely seem to like them better.

Because my time is always limited, I prefer the killing and processing bucks.  Since they are not on the table for the special September gun season, I will gladly "settle" for a doe.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see some people eluding to "well if hunters would shoot more does during the normal season we wouldn't have to do it." First off you're assuming that the NYS DEC has a clue about those deer numbers in the first place. I hunt 800 acres of leased land in 8f as well as some state land and I can tell you nowhere I've been is over run by does. And if the places that are overpopulated are private, this again solves no issue as the public can't access it anyhow. We need to start a program like other states have that allow parcels to be "leased" by the state for hunter access. How did the Dec come to this conclusion of overpopulation? If it's a matter of "people letting does go" then what is this going to change? The same people that don't, still won't and vice versa. I have zero faith in NY giving any sound advice about deer numbers. As far as the state is concerned, no deer is the best number. Also, isn't it funny how the state can't get crossbow into the archery season but can toss a whole separate gun season in the off season at the drop of a hat?

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Some of you tastebud extraordinnaires kill me. I would love to prepare venison dishes from 6 different sex/age class deer and see you tell the difference. You wouldn't. If you're tasting that much of a difference then it's a meat "care" or preparation issue. IMO. I've killed a lot of deer in this state from all over and have never noticed a distinct difference in flavor/taste of different age classes or sex. With the only exception being fawns are typically more tender in certain cuts...

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

"Just not you"...I don't understand. If it's not wasted, helps achieve management goals and isn't costing you anything, what's the negative?

It's not a negative. It's just something I choose not to do. The same as some pass yearling bucks, some don't shoot buttons, some wont shoot a doe with fawns etc. 

The actual harvesting an animal is very far down on my list of reasons that I hunt. I eat everything I hunt, and that includes squirrel. We fry up bluegills etc. 

To shoot and donate is not something I like to do. Again, not casting any stones at those who do.

12 hours ago, chrisw said:

I see some people eluding to "well if hunters would shoot more does during the normal season we wouldn't have to do it." First off you're assuming that the NYS DEC has a clue about those deer numbers in the first place. I hunt 800 acres of leased land in 8f as well as some state land and I can tell you nowhere I've been is over run by does. And if the places that are overpopulated are private, this again solves no issue as the public can't access it anyhow. We need to start a program like other states have that allow parcels to be "leased" by the state for hunter access. How did the Dec come to this conclusion of overpopulation? If it's a matter of "people letting does go" then what is this going to change? The same people that don't, still won't and vice versa. I have zero faith in NY giving any sound advice about deer numbers. As far as the state is concerned, no deer is the best number. Also, isn't it funny how the state can't get crossbow into the archery season but can toss a whole separate gun season in the off season at the drop of a hat?

100. An extra week in mosquito weather that requires a hunter to muck up his grounds a few weeks before bow opener and rush to process his kill isn't going to all the sudden get him to shoot a doe, when the same hunter wasn't doing so until post rut anyhow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I wouldn’t have an issue. Kill a doe on random Stateland early to get it out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You know what's kind of funny though. I've spent plenty of seasons passing dozens and dozens of doe. Then I've decided it's time to fill the freezer or this particular season I'll tag a doe early and all the sudden they're gone. It's like seeing turkey in the fall and deer in the spring. I swear somehow they know haha

• Like 2