Early antlerless season 9/11-9/19

WNYTRPR

44 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

He eats the balls and well... let's face it ,not much for balls on them does.

No "surf and turf" with the does, lacking the oysters:

I guess I will have to settle for just the fillet mignon for lunch this month.

20210903_121147.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

I will put this in both of the threads here on the September doe season - you will need to burn one of this year's tags for the appropriate WMU, as last year's expired on July 30th. Just an FYI for those who might be wondering.

I still haven’t gone for my doe tags….good reminder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest curiosity about a gun season occurring before bow season is the question of will the deer go into their survival mode early because of it. Part of that "survival mode" is nocturnal activity. This is something that I have noted in our area every gun season. The deer take on a completely different attitude after opening day. Will this now impact bow seasons? We'll see.

All i can say is after regular gun i see more deer about week after during muzzel season then the rest of the year,,,, dont think it will have an effect in a week or so they will be back to normal but some people will think that every deer is hiding under a rock until next spring

• Like 1

Don't think "early gun season" is going to get much play. 

1) Not many applied to 'said' sections to get those dmp's as they give them away like candy with leftovers in those sections come November 1. Why burn a first choice now

2) No processors open i know of and nobody wants to butcher a deer in hot'ish temps

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

1) Not many applied to 'said' sections to get those dmp's as they give them away like candy with leftovers in those sections come November 1. Why burn a first choice now

2) No processors open i know of and nobody wants to butcher a deer in hot'ish temps

Yes we can guess, but soon we will know, one way or another. I know that all through the crossbow arguments, everybody talked about all the old guys who want to hunt during the warmer weather. Well, now in those chosen areas they can. Is that argument really true? Well I guess now we will put it to the test.

18 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I am planning on going out in the morning... Ill give you a first hand observation. (you know where I will be).  I am mentally prepared to break down a deer tomorrow.  I do not think it is going to be as busy as a lot of folks think either.

• Like 3

Just now, Arcade Hunter said:

I am planning on going out in the morning... Ill give you a first hand observation. (you know where I will be).  I am mentally prepared to break down a deer tomorrow.  I do not think it is going to be as busy as a lot of folks think either.

.... for a doe, I shouldn't have to go in too far.... I know where some beds are

Unfortunately, I think lots of people will hunt. Some will see a giant buck and can't resist. This opens the door to more poaching.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doc said:

My biggest curiosity about a gun season occurring before bow season is the question of will the deer go into their survival mode early because of it. Part of that "survival mode" is nocturnal activity. This is something that I have noted in our area every gun season. The deer take on a completely different attitude after opening day. Will this now impact bow seasons? We'll see.

There is 2 weeks or more between this and bow.. deer return to normal activity within 8 days  14 is more than enough ,it's also why many muzzleloaders success is high as most gun hunters seem.to be done after Thanksgiving weekend as well

No reason to burn 1st choice as they are easy given 2nd choice , and yes private land in most areas isn't hunted now. So I don't see much increase.. they would of been better making a shoot 3 doe now and we give you a buck tag now.. then you would see the population drop quickly

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, G-Man said:

There is 2 weeks or more between this and bow.. deer return to normal activity within 8 days  14 is more than enough ,it's also why many muzzleloaders success is high as most gun hunters seem.to be done after Thanksgiving weekend as well

It is probably more likely that deer get back to diurnal activity after gun season is the shortage of food leaves them little choice at that time of year. I don't know about anyone else, but Actual gun hunting days seem to be pretty darn quiet after opening weekend, and the only deer moving at all are those that are kicked up by other gun hunters still-hunting.

Well anyway, we will see this year. There won't be any guessing after we actually see what happens, one way or another.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

anyone smashing a fawn with spots for a taxi bill? lol 

No, but if one hangs around after I anchor its mama with a shoulder blade shot, I will definitely shoot one for the liver and the rest of that "melt in your mouth tender" meat.  As long as I have a tag, a good safe shot, and a slug left in my gun, I will use it.

The best thing about shooting a fawn in warm weather is that they can be processed immediately without aging to let rigor mortis pass.  

I also like the idea of keeping the pair together in "deer heaven" (mankind's food supply).  I have two dmp's available and I am willing to do my part in trying to fill them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I was just over at Stewart for a Hike and saw a good 6 Trucks pulled off of Rt. 208 and the Camo Clad Guys are sitting around and scanning the Front Corn Fields very close to the Big White Farmer  House.

It will be busy over there  for no deer .  Been walking and have only seen 4 deer . Lol . Wonder if they are opening the gates  to let them drive in .  How they going to stop the hikers and bikers this weekend .