Who is going out for early doe season?

Arcade Hunter

29 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Oct first bow opener is too early for me unless it gets cold early which lately it hasn't. Nothing worse than sitting in a stand being eaten by bugs and having to butcher a deer as soon as you get it home. But I like cold that's just me

That’s how I learned to but her a deer shot my first doe with a bow 70 degrees out went don’t to a neighbor and he told us how to do it, and I’ve never brought an upstate deer to a butcher to date

on Long Island too many ticks is goes right to my butcher $60 done 

• Like 1

It caught me by surprise, but I am planning on it.  Hopefully, I can check the zero on my shotguns and ML tomorrow after work.  I mowed a path back to the range this afternoon.  I saw a nice fat doe on my way back in.  She was not the least but scared of me on the tractor.

I will load the guns and gear in my pickup and head back there tommorow.  I will take a chainsaw and pole saw and trim some shooting lanes around blinds on my way back and put chairs up in my new elevated box blinds. 

The long range forecast is for rain every day next week, so I got to get the range work done now, while it is plenty dry enough to get back there with my 2wd pickup.

I will probably hunt 9f with my shotgun on both Saturday mornings and afternoons (the extra 1/2 hour before sunrise and after sunset will be nice on the field edges), and both Sunday afternoons. 

I would be thankful to fill one dmp on those 6 hunts, half of which will be at my place, on the NW corner of 9f, and the other half at my folks place on the SE corner.  There seems to be plenty of antlerless deer at each spot, so I feel obligated to do my part and assist one or two on the trip to deer heaven.

I am not too concerned with the warm temperatures, because my deer fridge is ready to go.  There were no bugs whatsoever out tonight, when I was back there mowing.

• Like 1

i thought for sure the 7F or 7J areas would be on the early list.  I have a spot in 7J that would be perfect for an early doe.  But they werent included.  Which is odd to me because every year they dont give out their allotment of doe permits and can always get two more on nov 1 that are leftover.  

7J has more doe permits avail than any other and only has a 10% success rate.  Wonder why they didnt include it? 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Too warm for me with too much else going on. On top of that I would be concerned for getting my deer processed quickly enough in temps that are still summerlike...jeesh, less than two weeks away.

I would love to have a late season (like the southern tier holiday hunt) where I am, but it isnt wise...the deer are yarding up by then.

• Like 1

Tough to find a processor, and you need to be prepared to butcher it yourself in a timely manner if you shoot one. Also, it burns a DMP - not that they are hard to acquire for the open WMA - but I'd rather shoot my doe during muzzleloader and leave them alone to nurture fawns during the early season.

Have DMP's for 8J - Unsure if I'll be out or not.  Seeing lots of does with their fawns feeding in fields in the AM and PM ; not sure if they're still nursing, but seems a bit early to harvest a doe.

Not too worried about processing - if I do get one, most likely it would get broken down pretty quickly  into tenderloins / Backstraps that can be aged in the fridge, and the majority of the remaining into grind for homemade sausage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

They can survive on their own at this point. 

Yea, realize that - it just messes with my mind when I take a doe in December that hasn't gone dry yet.  I suspect there's a bunch more in that condition in September.

Got a prime spot in 4-J's Pine Bush. But won't go there until late October. Lot's of deer in there. Ticks too, but Sawyers keeps them at bay. Half hour drive from there to the farm to butcher. And a long drag from my spots to my truck no matter what. If I kill a deer in The Pine Bush, it will be a decent buck! Getting a doe is much easier up on the hill. If I were younger, and hungry'er I'd go for an early doe. But I'm not anymore.

• Like 1