Who is going out for early doe season?

Arcade Hunter

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

To all those worried processing, you do realize that for many years CT opens 9/15, NJ opens early. KY opens 9/4 and many states open in August. Things will be OK.

I don't think it's about OK or not, it is about effort/time/prep. I can't say I'd be super excited to process a doe in these conditions personally. There is more work in it IMO - I can shoot a doe on Sunday in say Nov or Dec and not absolutely need to process it right away and take care of it after work on Monday evening.

I'll just call it what it is, if this were a bow season for buck or doe....I'd shoot a buck and gladly deal with it. But that's because I'm willing to call in tomorrow to process a buck overnight if I shot one. Also, my boss would be happy cause I'm probably not missing as much time at work in a few months, lol. Doe opps are just too plentiful in season to take them at convenient times for me - bucks, not so much.

I took several does over the years and 2 does last year, so it is not like I have a problem with taking does. But I pass on does with young fawns. I am not ruling out hunting this early season, but it I'm not excited about the prospect. Now, if a chance at a buck in velvet was on the cards, that would be different.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here is why I’m not hunting the early doe season. I live in 8g I have places I can hunt. But I’m not going to. I don’t butcher my own deer so I would have to find someone with a cooler to do it. the 10-day forecast goes out to 9-11 and it will be 75 on that day so far that more than likely will change.

Here’s what I would wreck amend if you don’t have a place to hunt in these WMU’s that have the September season don’t go there looking for a place to hunt you won’t find one. 8G dose have a big track of state and federal land at the far west end the state land will be open but the federal may not be.

7 minutes ago, Chef said:

I will be out in 3r the question is bow or Xbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been asking myself the same thing. Recurve or rifle? Rifle would be public land recurve right out back. 

Work will probably dictate what happens. Hope to put one in the fridge and go from there. 

I didn't have enough daylight to finish up everything I wanted to yesterday.  I did manage to get in my last two wheat/clover foodplots, and to check the zero on one shotgun and my inline ML 

The single shot from the shotgun hit right about where I wanted it to (2" high at 50 yards).  I had to fire two at that range from the ML to get it dialed in.  It is good now (1" high at 50 yards with 100 gr 777 and a 240 gr XTP bullet.

I am up north for the long holiday weekend now (working on securing 3 more packs of bass for the freezer), but I will try to trim some shooting lanes after work on Tuesday.  Hopefully, I can get the big 9f doe, that I have been seeing every time I have been out back, next Saturday morning.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to some slug gun doe hunting this weekend.  I will have to see how deep woods off works as a cover scent. It will be my first time hunting in a t-shirt.  I got to remember the orange hat.

I may try out both of the new blinds that I put up this year.  I only have room for one big doe in my deer fridge, so I will may skip Sunday at my folks house, if I get one at our house on Saturday.

I got some shooting lanes trimmed by the one here on Monday afternoon, and I put a chair in it.  I also trimmed shooting lanes around my other blinds here and made sure all the chairs and structures are good.  I should be able to spend about two hours early and two hours late up in them on Saturday.

I will be taking this new, ridiculously comfortable chair, over to the one at my folks place on Sunday.  That's only if I come up empty at home though, because otherwise, I wont need it until crossbow opens in early November.  I don't want the squirrels (it is loaded with them over there), chewing up the cushions.

On second thought, I am heading over there Sunday, even if I do have one in my deer fridge from home on Saturday.  I will target a button buck then.  Those can be processed right away, without hanging until rigor mortis passes, as is best with older deer.  I will bring along my slug gun for them and my pellet gun for the pesky squirrels.

I am hoping for some fresh tenderloins for lunch and a neck roast in the crock pot soon.  Hopefully, my old 1960's deer fridge still works.  I have not needed it in about 4 years.  The hanging weather in our insulated garage has been almost perfect by the time I got my first deer, in early November, for at least that long.

20210823_173457.jpg

Edited by wolc123

I wasn’t planning on hunting it… but today I was easily convinced to take a day off and hit up some public land with a buddy.  Best case scenario we score a doe to quickly process.  Worst case scenario it winds up being a scouting trip and a day off work. 

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

So here is how I see my day and the problems that will occur. 

Headed to public land by myself Saturday from 6 to 10 a.m. the weather should be from 51-60. I plan on calling it a day at about 8:30 but if I have some luck at 8ish after gutting and dragging over a mile it will be at least low 60s. After that even if I skin right away and start butchering the meat, it obviously has been through some stress. 

I have friends that should be able to come help out and drag but I don't plan on hopefully. I planned on getting a couple days in this coming week but do to weather I think Saturday morning will be the only day I give it a go.

• Like 1

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the new early doe season.  It's hard to argue against the benefit to hunter retention.  It's also difficult for me not to think of the amount of pressure NY's hunting season already put on the deer herd - prior to this new early season even - and just look at how different things are now than when I was a kid.  I rarely see deer from my car anymore.  As a kid growing up on the Tug Hill Plateau we couldn't drive 10 miles without locking the brakes up three times for deer crossing the road.

More selfishly I like being one of the first few in the woods on the bow season opener.  So I'm glad I don't hunt a zone affected by the new seasons.  Bow is difficult enough.  I can't imagine trying to bow hunt wary deer that aren't hardly moving at all while the woods are still green.  Ugh.

9 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Wolc..Your chair looks identical to the one I have in my tower stand...Got it at a yard sale for 8 bucks....

Wow, that is to the penny what I paid for this one at a barn sale up in Alex bay a few weeks ago.  It is the most comfortable swivel office chair that I have ever tried. The arm rests are great and the height adjust works very well. 

This is the first one that I did not garbage pick.  Folks are always putting them out by the road.  The old guy, who runs a perpetual barn sale up there, was asking $ 10.  I knew I needed it after I sat on it, but the best he would do on price was $ 8.  He said it belonged to his son, and that he would not let him go any lower.

The only issue with it is that one of the wheel casters does not match.  That will be hidden from the deer by the 3 ft barnwood wall around my blind, so it should not matter.  

• Like 1

If my WMU had the early season, I'd probably look for a youth or first time hunter to take out. 

Not worried at all about spooking the deer with a few gun shots. Always take a couple youths during the youth season, and never seen a change in pattern after a couple deer are taken. 

Good luck to all headed out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I get two or three does on cam in front of a stand every morning and am quite tempted to try it Saturday but the temps are a real concern. Do I really want to break down a deer in my hot garage and have that carcass in my garbage with temps in the 80s for three days

I will be throwing any carcasses and butchering remains on my "coyote" pile if I connect.  Of course they will be "off-limits" until October.