Who is going out for early doe season?

Arcade Hunter

12 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I will be throwing any carcasses and butchering remains on my "coyote" pile if I connect.  Of course they will be "off-limits" until October. 

Why even write this?  If you’re gonna do something illegal, like you’re alluding to with the quotation marks, don't talk about it.  

I will be throwing any carcasses and butchering remains on my "coyote" pile if I connect.  Of course they will be "off-limits" until October. 

Wow for such a devoutly religious man you seem to have no issue breaking the law if it suits your own agenda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got this email yesterday, which I'll admit is a step for the DEC. Normally they put these things out for public comment and then just do whatever the hell they want anyhow... which if I'm being honest seems like they did with blaze orange here.

I see that many other hunters sent similar notes and reasons as I did. Still haven't met anyone who supported early doe. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerreg2021apc.pdf

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

Wow for such a devoutly religious man you seem to have no issue breaking the law if it suits your own agenda

How do you know he means he's going to shoot them now? Because of quotations? 

4 minutes ago, mowin said:

How do you know he means he's going to shoot them now? Because of quotations? 

This has been a topic on the forum.  I know you didn't quote me, but all im saying is if your gonna do something illegal don't post about it.  There are leo on this forum who swore to uphold the law, so dont be surprised If they report this.  

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

Because of that and comments he has made in other threads on the subject yes

Other comments I get, but not the quotations. 

Personally, I shoot every yote I see around my place regardless of what month it is, but I've got chickens that the bastards are after. 

1 minute ago, diplomat019 said:

This has been a topic on the forum.  I know you didn't quote me, but all im saying is if your gonna do something illegal don't post about it.  There are leo on this forum who swore to uphold the law, so dont be surprised If they report this.  

I get it, but I didn't read it as he was going to shoot them regardless of the law.

I understand if he has openly admitted he would do so, but I don't recall such a post. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Other comments I get, but not the quotations. 

Personally, I shoot every yote I see around my place regardless of what month it is, but I've got chickens that the bastards are after. 

i might be wrong about this, but i believe you can legally shoot a nuisance yote any time of year to protect livestock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

Got this email yesterday, which I'll admit is a step for the DEC. Normally they put these things out for public comment and then just do whatever the hell they want anyhow... which if I'm being honest seems like they did with blaze orange here.

I see that many other hunters sent similar notes and reasons as I did. Still haven't met anyone who supported early doe. 

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerreg2021apc.pdf

Thank you for sharing. All of my own personal concerns are addressed in the response from DEC - whether I agree with their response or not, at least they've made an effort. I would certainly love to know what the breakdown was among the letters they received on support vs. opposition to the early season. Like you, I have yet to meet anyone who is in favor of it.

Edited by knehrke

Just now, knehrke said:

Thank you for sharing. All of my own personal concerns are addressed in the response from DEC - whether I agree with their response or not, at least they've made an effort. I would certainly love to know what the breakdown is on support vs. opposition to the early season. Like you, I have yet to meet anyone who is in favor of it.

yeah and i would dance naked in the streets if they released that data because again I don't think this had strong support. Their answers are pretty boiler plate and expected.

I think the most critical concerns here still revolve around the blaze orange. They increased hunter hours at dawn and dusk, and while I love this, you can argue it could lead to incidents. They cite the fact that the state is really safe. So why the mandatory orange? Why not only on public land or while on the ground? I'm generally concerned about hunter harassment here. 

I still don't think they made a good enough argument for the early season or have addressed the access issues either. It is interesting to see that they are considering the earn a buck though, and of course snuck some nonsense in about the crossbow at the end. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd gladly take full inclusion over early doe firearm. And yall know how I feel about crossbows haha.

11 minutes ago, diplomat019 said:

Saw a post from a while back where you gave the advice of SSS.   So theres that. 

Sounds like a case of mistaken identity.  No worries, we all make mistakes.

I sort of like the coyotes now and appreciate the closed season.  They help me out in my battles against the good for nothing raccoons.

36 minutes ago, Belo said:

i might be wrong about this, but i believe you can legally shoot a nuisance yote any time of year to protect livestock. 

Your correct. It's legal to shoot predators as long as they are after your livestock. I'll admit, I usually don't wait for them to attempt a chicken dinner.  Now that I fenced in a large area of the yard, my dogs have done a fantastic job of keeping the critters out.  I often see yotes and fox walking the outer edge of the fence, and my surveillance cameras have confirmed they do indeed jump the fence during the night. Coops are locked tight every night. 

Edited by mowin

Sounds like a case of mistaken identity.  No worries, we all make mistakes.
I sort of like the coyotes now and appreciate the closed season.  They help me out in my battles against the good for nothing raccoons.

Wow even lying for a devout religious man

1 hour ago, Belo said:

yeah and i would dance naked in the streets if they released that data because again I don't think this had strong support. Their answers are pretty boiler plate and expected.

I think the most critical concerns here still revolve around the blaze orange. They increased hunter hours at dawn and dusk, and while I love this, you can argue it could lead to incidents. They cite the fact that the state is really safe. So why the mandatory orange? Why not only on public land or while on the ground? I'm generally concerned about hunter harassment here. 

I still don't think they made a good enough argument for the early season or have addressed the access issues either. It is interesting to see that they are considering the earn a buck though, and of course snuck some nonsense in about the crossbow at the end. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd gladly take full inclusion over early doe firearm. And yall know how I feel about crossbows haha.

Hunter harassment is key for us because we have a few parcels on suburban fringe. It's definitely a personal thing here and I understand it doesn't reflect the macro level. 

In this spot, two of our four stands since the past season have been damaged beyond repair. We replaced two straps with bright green ones at the season's end (all we had with us at the time) and guess what - these yahoos could see it from their houses. While they can see it, we're more than legal and even "safe" in terms of shooting direction. Yet, now we have two ladder stands that are broken and one where the strap was cut and the stand left up as if it were unmolested - and we put a young teenager up on that stand last year. I'm generally a low key guy, but I'd be very pissed if I ran into the culprit. 

Requiring us to wear orange now moves us beyond frustration. It's downright depressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phade said:

Hunter harassment is key for us because we have a few parcels on suburban fringe. It's definitely a personal thing here and I understand it doesn't reflect the macro level. 

In this spot, two of our four stands since the past season have been damaged beyond repair. We replaced two straps with bright green ones at the season's end (all we had with us at the time) and guess what - these yahoos could see it from their houses. While they can see it, we're more than legal and even "safe" in terms of shooting direction. Yet, now we have two ladder stands that are broken and one where the strap was cut and the stand left up as if it were unmolested - and we put a young teenager up on that stand last year. I'm generally a low key guy, but I'd be very pissed if I ran into the culprit. 

Requiring us to wear orange now moves us beyond frustration. It's downright depressing.

Keep in mind the rule only applies when hunting with a firearm, so it doesn't effect bowhunting.   But then again, gun season is when you will be most visible to the locals, after the leaves fall.  

I may go out during the early season for as long as I can before the skeeters drain me of blood. No, it would be interesting to check out the activity to see just how badly bow season may be screwed up. I also want to see how the regular opening day is impacted by this new season opener. I think it may be interesting. 

I know that other years, once opening weekend is finished, things go pretty silent. This early season may dull the usual participation that we normally see on the regular opener, and prove to be contrary to what they are trying to do. I guess we just have to wait and see.

There is another thing that occurred to me. We have some state land that is heavily used by mountain bikers and hikers. In the past they have ceased their activities when the firearms deer season opened up. They probably will not be aware that the DEC has snuck this early firearms season in. Also, I doubt that any of them will be wearing blaze orange (the law does not require them to if they are not deer hunting.....right?). I suppose as soon as the guns start blazing, they will be fleeing the woods.

I imagine that the deer will be taking the hint and go into their survival mode like they do during every regular gun season. They should be completely nocturnal by the time the bow season opens. Can't say for sure..........I guess we will have to wait and see.

32 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Keep in mind the rule only applies when hunting with a firearm, so it doesn't effect bowhunting.   But then again, gun season is when you will be most visible to the locals, after the leaves fall.  

It's most disappointing because it's a safety and harassment issue for us, and secondarily it is one of our most productive spots despite being field/field edge.

Both my hunting partner and I have taken 130"+ bucks here and are tracking the same this year. The stands would be visible from a major road with BO on despite not being able to see our field from the road due to lay of the land. The field is 25 acres and is fully planted in brassica and winter wheat this year so we will be heavily focusing on this piece in late season. It is the first huntable property outside of a non-hunting village, with a deer problem. It is "common" to have 20-40 deer on it during a late season hunt.

This will make it more challenging for safety and success.

Edited by phade

2 hours ago, phade said:

I think the mandatory orange will have the same following and compliance that the sunrise and sunset rules had. We're just replacing one silly, unenforced rule with another.