Who is going out for early doe season?

Arcade Hunter

There is no logic to not wear hunter orange - other states have required it since the 1970's. Didn't matter if on public or private land, it is a safety measure, just like unloading before crossing over/under a fence or climbing a tree stand, or having working brake lights on a car.

Just because you know where you are and hunting buddy are, doesn't mean some else wanders into a high brushy area in full camo that you can't see due to the full camo outfit (happens public or private property).  I have experienced it more than once in deer season, kind of expect it in turkey season on public lands.

If you are on a new parcel of public land and get turned-around, will they find you easier in orange or wearing full camo?

What if you fell and got hurt, could they find you?  The answer is not cell phone GPS and 911 call, there are plenty of places that if walk 10 minutes into the woods there is no service in the southern zone, don't believe me, I can take you to a spot a ~ 1/2 mile behind a firehouse in central Orange county on public land on a hill top. Verizon and T-Mobile maps show service there - neither device had any service.

Wearing orange does not affect hunting deer, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, or quail (or Dove hunting where I grew up).  Even had a red fox walk up within 20 yards of me wearing orange while sitting on the ground facing him.

Small game and deer gun season with no orange to me seems backwards like that you would expect in places like Appalachia.

No trade-off to me, if cool enough, will give early doe season a look (actually was very quiet on opening where I was, had to repair mower and then mow the yard and other home things on Sunday), gives me an scouting excuse while carrying with less people afield, and considering Black powder since that added a few days. Since have to work, the reality was only two additional days to hunt if hunted with a muzzle-loader, now 4 additional days (two weekends) it is worth considering the costs of additional tags, powder/ball, etc.

Who ever is out there for early season, stay safe, hope for a short drag if successful while temps are up, and easy access to ice to cool off the meat until reaching your butchering location.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was and am all for early doe season but I think it should of been earn a buck as well, kill 3 doe get a buck tag for that area for early season..  some of these areas are against no hunting areas and are lousy with doe.  Access is limited and I think  you would see more participants with an earn a buck as most seem more interested in antlers than population control. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnplav said:

I had my fill of heat and mosquitos today.  Felt good to get out in the woods, but I’m done with the early season.  I’m happy to wait till 10/1 and just be “on call” to help drag and butcher for my 2 buddies who plan on hunting the rest of the week. 

2E710BB8-ECAC-47CC-8A59-0E83E77F7C8B.jpeg

I didnt bother going yesterday... just way too warm.  I opted to catch up on my yard work and hunt the rest of the week.  Last time out , a few days ago, I walked through a swampy area and never in my life have I been so completly molested by mosquitos

10 hours ago, Two Track said:

There is no logic to not wear hunter orange - other states have required it since the 1970's. Didn't matter if on public or private land, it is a safety measure, just like unloading before crossing over/under a fence or climbing a tree stand, or having working brake lights on a car.

Just because you know where you are and hunting buddy are, doesn't mean some else wanders into a high brushy area in full camo that you can't see due to the full camo outfit (happens public or private property).  I have experienced it more than once in deer season, kind of expect it in turkey season on public lands.

If you are on a new parcel of public land and get turned-around, will they find you easier in orange or wearing full camo?

What if you fell and got hurt, could they find you?  The answer is not cell phone GPS and 911 call, there are plenty of places that if walk 10 minutes into the woods there is no service in the southern zone, don't believe me, I can take you to a spot a ~ 1/2 mile behind a firehouse in central Orange county on public land on a hill top. Verizon and T-Mobile maps show service there - neither device had any service.

Wearing orange does not affect hunting deer, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, or quail (or Dove hunting where I grew up).  Even had a red fox walk up within 20 yards of me wearing orange while sitting on the ground facing him.

Small game and deer gun season with no orange to me seems backwards like that you would expect in places like Appalachia.

No trade-off to me, if cool enough, will give early doe season a look (actually was very quiet on opening where I was, had to repair mower and then mow the yard and other home things on Sunday), gives me an scouting excuse while carrying with less people afield, and considering Black powder since that added a few days. Since have to work, the reality was only two additional days to hunt if hunted with a muzzle-loader, now 4 additional days (two weekends) it is worth considering the costs of additional tags, powder/ball, etc.

Who ever is out there for early season, stay safe, hope for a short drag if successful while temps are up, and easy access to ice to cool off the meat until reaching your butchering location.

you're in the wrong thread homie. this is about early doe, not orange.