Who is going out for early doe season?

Arcade Hunter

It's most disappointing because it's a safety and harassment issue for us, and secondarily it is one of our most productive spots despite being field/field edge.
Both my hunting partner and I have taken 130"+ bucks here and are tracking the same this year. The stands would be visible from a major road with BO on despite not being able to see our field from the road due to lay of the land. The field is 25 acres and is fully planted in brassica and winter wheat this year so we will be heavily focusing on this piece in late season. It is the first huntable property outside of a non-hunting village, with a deer problem. It is "common" to have 20-40 deer on it during a late season hunt.
This will make it more challenging for safety and success.

It says a blaze orange hat is ok. Get a hat with a blaze orange bill and call it a day…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, mowin said:

Other comments I get, but not the quotations. 

Personally, I shoot every yote I see around my place regardless of what month it is, but I've got chickens that the bastards are after. 

you could always fence your chickens in,that is an option. Or kill every predator you can I guess.

7 hours ago, Belo said:

yeah and i would dance naked in the streets if they released that data because again I don't think this had strong support. Their answers are pretty boiler plate and expected.

I think the most critical concerns here still revolve around the blaze orange. They increased hunter hours at dawn and dusk, and while I love this, you can argue it could lead to incidents. They cite the fact that the state is really safe. So why the mandatory orange? Why not only on public land or while on the ground? I'm generally concerned about hunter harassment here. 

I still don't think they made a good enough argument for the early season or have addressed the access issues either. It is interesting to see that they are considering the earn a buck though, and of course snuck some nonsense in about the crossbow at the end. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I'd gladly take full inclusion over early doe firearm. And yall know how I feel about crossbows haha.

I will gladly take the early doe firearm season, over full inclusion of crossbow at home in wmu 9F.  That is my favorite of the recent DEC updates, by a big margin.  After 8 years of no changes, I think it is safe to assume that we will never see full inclusion of crossbow in NY. 

I am quite satisfied with the best two weeks of archery season for the crossbow in the southern zone, but I would like to see the northern zone get another weekend, to make it fair for the folks up there. That would be especially good for the hard pressed merchants up there,  who could use the increased tourism income.

The reason the early doe is huge for me, is that I was starting to worry, being down to just (7) 2 pound packs of grind and one roast.  It came along just in the nick of time.  I also like the extra half hour beyond daylight on each end.  I am more than willing to take the blaze orange hat or vest penalty, in exchange for that.

The younger hunters being able to gun hunt is another big plus, as is allowing antlerless deer inside the Adirondack park blue line, during the early ML.

I wonder if this is the new governor's way to start making NY great again ?   

It is great to see them taking such good care of us meat hunters.

23 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I will gladly take the early doe firearm season, over full inclusion of crossbow at home in wmu 9F.  That is my favorite of the recent DEC updates, by a big margin.  After 8 years of no changes, I think it is safe to assume that we will never see full inclusion of crossbow in NY. 

I am quite satisfied with the best two weeks of archery season for the crossbow in the southern zone, but I would like to see the northern zone get another weekend, to make it fair for the folks up there. That would be especially good for the hard pressed merchants up there,  who could use the increased tourism income.

The reason the early doe is huge for me, is that I was starting to worry, being down to just (7) 2 pound packs of grind and one roast.  It came along just in the nick of time.  I also like the extra half hour beyond daylight on each end.  I am more than willing to take the blaze orange hat or vest penalty, in exchange for that.

The younger hunters being able to gun hunt is another big plus, as is allowing antlerless deer inside the Adirondack park blue line, during the early ML.

I wonder if this is the new governor's way to start making NY great again ?   

It is great to see them taking such good care of us meat hunters.

This governor is more of a joke than the last one .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doc said:

There is another thing that occurred to me. We have some state land that is heavily used by mountain bikers and hikers. In the past they have ceased their activities when the firearms deer season opened up. They probably will not be aware that the DEC has snuck this early firearms season in. Also, I doubt that any of them will be wearing blaze orange (the law does not require them to if they are not deer hunting.....right?). I suppose as soon as the guns start blazing, they will be fleeing the woods.

I imagine that the deer will be taking the hint and go into their survival mode like they do during every regular gun season. They should be completely nocturnal by the time the bow season opens. Can't say for sure..........I guess we will have to wait and see.

Good point, Doc.  The hikers and mountain bikers are going to be in for a surprise in the morning!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Chef said:

It says a blaze orange hat is ok. Get a hat with a blaze orange bill and call it a day…

i can't remember where I saw it, but no it's not just a hat. It's a minimum square inches, which is basically saying you need a normal vest and all orange hat to meet the requirement. 

i can't remember where I saw it, but no it's not just a hat. It's a minimum square inches, which is basically saying you need a normal vest and all orange hat to meet the requirement. 

I’m pretty sure it was a vest or hat

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

Yea... there's specific requirements.

New: Any person hunting deer or bear with a firearm or a person who is accompanying someone hunting deer or bear with a firearm shall wear:

1. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or

2. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of patterned fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink consisting of no less than fifty percent fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or

3. a hat or cap with no less than fifty percent of the exterior consisting of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material and visible from all directions.

Edited by johnplav

It's most disappointing because it's a safety and harassment issue for us, and secondarily it is one of our most productive spots despite being field/field edge.
Both my hunting partner and I have taken 130"+ bucks here and are tracking the same this year. The stands would be visible from a major road with BO on despite not being able to see our field from the road due to lay of the land. The field is 25 acres and is fully planted in brassica and winter wheat this year so we will be heavily focusing on this piece in late season. It is the first huntable property outside of a non-hunting village, with a deer problem. It is "common" to have 20-40 deer on it during a late season hunt.
This will make it more challenging for safety and success.

I have a spot in Westchester (3S) that I hunted in 2017 and I park on a road that is different from the landowner’s house. All 100% legal, but people would yell at me if they saw me getting dressed to walk into woods or beep horn. Someone even called the cops. The cops were cool since everything was legal. But it was annoying so I never went back. This spot is under 3 miles from my house, so last year when my daughter was born and I’m working from home I started going back. Now I leave a big note on my dashboard stating that I have permission from XXX to be on this property etc. I had no issues last year so I will hunt it again this year. There’s a trail cam about 60yds from where I hunt so I assume whatever that is, is jealous/mad that I hunt nearby

Are your haters seeing your truck? Maybe put a note on the dashboard too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I have a spot in Westchester (3S) that I hunted in 2017 and I park on a road that is different from the landowner’s house. All 100% legal, but people would yell at me if they saw me getting dressed to walk into woods or beep horn. Someone even called the cops. The cops were cool since everything was legal. But it was annoying so I never went back. This spot is under 3 miles from my house, so last year when my daughter was born and I’m working from home I started going back. Now I leave a big note on my dashboard stating that I have permission from XXX to be on this property etc. I had no issues last year so I will hunt it again this year. There’s a trail cam about 60yds from where I hunt so I assume whatever that is, is jealous/mad that I hunt nearby

Are your haters seeing your truck? Maybe put a note on the dashboard too?

No we're on an active farm. The south border has 15-20 homes in the village but they are 750-1k feet away. All owners bought homes after the farm was there (since 1800s).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, phade said:

No we're on an active farm. The south border has 15-20 homes in the village but they are 750-1k feet away. All owners bought homes after the farm was there (since 1800s).

Is the Farm posted so those houses are walking past posted signs? if not, you could offer to post that boundary line?

I will be up on that big poplar tree in the morning, hoping to catch a doe at breakfast.  Will she go for the silver queen sweetcorn on the left (it is showing signs of fresh deer foraging), the radish/turnips in the middle, the RR corn on the right, last years white clover on the far left, or the fresh sprouted wheat in the foreground.

All of it is in range.  If any of it appeals to her, I ought to be having tenderloins for lunch.  She left some silver queen for me. Right now, I am waiting for the water to boil, prior to having a little for dinner.

20210910_171659.jpg

20210910_172814.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JJBat150 said:

So let's hear those opening day stories and see pictures of successful outings,,,, 

Tune into the live from the woods thread.  No deer action for me this morning.  I have noted significant deer action, in the late afternoons over the last few weeks, as I was doing field work.  I plan on sitting in a blind near where my last sighting of a doe/fawn pair was, this after noon.  I am almost ready to pull the plug on the morning hunt, but it is just so damn comfortable, up here in my blind.

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Nice to see I had a great chance if I had gone. I must admit I'm not wishing I had one hanging in my garage right now, its hot as ballz
b4de03a8a5c4ae24758806aa5c1bd80e.jpg

You need to get yourself a deer fridge.  Speaking of which, it is time to go down stairs, unplug the big freezer so it can defrost, and move my few remaining packs of venison into the little freezer on mine.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

You need to get yourself a deer fridge.  Speaking of which, it is time to go down stairs, unplug the big freezer so it can defrost, and move my few remaining packs of venison into the little freezer on mine.

The plan would certainly be to quarter and get them into my garage fridge

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

bab253ba181723bea479c34d1d0a5a25.jpg
Today would have been a slam dunk

The does must be staying in the woods.  I saw just one buck out in the fields at home today.  I am going to be about 10 yards into the woods, over at my folks place, on the opposite corner of 9f tommorow evening.

• Like 1