DEC just passed the proposed 5 changes for 2021

sbuff

All looks good to me. The 30 minutes before and after sunrise/set is a nice change in my opinion. It is like this in Illinois, and it felt weird walking out of the woods with plenty of shooting light left. I also wear orange regardless, so no big change for me and it's nice to know where other hunters are when I'm in the woods. 

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 2

I cant even count the number of times I was at full draw on a nice buck when I had to let down because I felt my phone vibrating in pocket indicating the end of hunting for the day.

Worst part is the vibration would rattle the cardboard blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes before and after is a good change. I guess I'll be getting up a half hour earlier for each hunt to be in before the other dudes start shuffling into the woods. I do that now, but this just means I have to get up a little earlier.

I always wear blaze orange during the gun seasons on public land so this changes nothing for me.

This new early season? I think it sucks. I have made some wise cracks because I never thought it would pass, but yeah, I think it sucks.

Edited by DirtTime

13 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

30 minutes before and after is a good change. I guess I'll be getting up a half hour earlier for each hunt to be in before the other dudes start shuffling into the woods. I do that now, but this just means I have to get up a little earlier.

I always wear blaze orange during the gun seasons on public land so this changes nothing for me.

This new early season? I think it sucks. I have made some wise cracks because I never thought it would pass, but yeah, I think it sucks.

Completely understand people not liking the early doe season but for a guy like me in 3m, I can take a doe real early to fill the freezer, then be real selective if I choose the rest of the year.

I was selective last year waiting on a buck and ate tag soup for the first time in a decade. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daveboone said:

? Being able to hunt 1/2 hour earlier and later shouldnt affect a hunters judgement of if they SHOULD shoot.  I dont see why it would affect recovery at all.

I just wonder if shots made just before dark will make it harder to track a deer.  i think the 30 minutes before sunrise is fine.  Not so sure about 30 minutes after sunset.

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

Am I the only one who cant see my pins even before sunset now? The extra half hour is nice but I'm not even sure I'll need it.

Agree.  I don't see this changing too much for bow season.  Even with light-up pins, still not easy to see the target at dusk.

13 minutes ago, corydd7 said:

Completely understand people not liking the early doe season but for a guy like me in 3m, I can take a doe real early to fill the freezer, then be real selective if I choose the rest of the year.

I was selective last year waiting on a buck and ate tag soup for the first time in a decade. 

But that was solely on you for being selective and waiting. Isn't that why this early season was put into effect to begin with, because hunters weren't taking does?

Take a doe early in the seasons we already have to get the freezer full and problem solved. No reason for this early season, at minimum we have two tags, the regular season buck tag and the Bow/ML antlered or antlerles. Add the second Bow/ML tag and DMPs and there's 5 tags, two for a buck and three for a doe. As I said, people not taking does is why this season was put into place. Being selective is a choice and if that leads to tag soup it was a choice a hunter made.

• Like 1

I never understood the 30 minute prior/after debate. I am finally glad this ass backward state passed it. It is every hunters obligation to never shoot when conditions are unsafe. That includes too dark. I have hunted some swamps that are too dim to shoot safely way more than 30 minutes before dark. So I would not shoot. I have also hunted wide open country where it is still light as noon 30 minutes after sunset. Just because you can shoot at a legal time does not mean you can shoot in poor light where you cannot be sure it is safe. You shouldn't need the gobberment to tell you that!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I cant even count the number of times I was at full draw on a nice buck when I had to let down because I felt my phone vibrating in pocket indicating the end of hunting for the day.

Quote of the year on this site.

55 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Am I the only one who cant see my pins even before sunset now? The extra half hour is nice but I'm not even sure I'll need it.

Just turn the knob on that little light thingy on the site. They glow.

Remember, Red goes dark first. Then Orange/Yellow. Then finally green. It's science.

Edited by phade

As far as the 30 min law, it depends on what terrain I'm hunting. In the pines, It won't matter as it really gets dark in there fast.

Field edge, huge difference.  And I don't see how it's going to affect or add to the lost deer due to bad hits. A ethical hunter won't take that shot. A unethical hunter would probably stay till dark anyway.

Hate the orange law. Never wear it.

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1