DEC just passed the proposed 5 changes for 2021

sbuff

1 hour ago, phade said:

Quote of the year on this site.

And many here now, don’t know the source .

I will say, I took to following her leaf blowing trails idea . Absolutely dead silent walking , guests can find stands on their own , and I can see clear deer tracts and directions in it . I might just leaf blow the entire woods !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I never understood the 30 minute prior/after debate. I am finally glad this ass backward state passed it. It is every hunters obligation to never shoot when conditions are unsafe. That includes too dark. I have hunted some swamps that are too dim to shoot safely way more than 30 minutes before dark. So I would not shoot. I have also hunted wide open country where it is still light as noon 30 minutes after sunset. Just because you can shoot at a legal time does not mean you can shoot in poor light where you cannot be sure it is safe. You shouldn't need the gobberment to tell you that!!

It's always been half an hour before/after in Vermont.  Or at least in the 30+ years I have been hunting.  I will often get out of a stand in the woods 15-20 minutes before the end of legal and make my way to a clearing, field or powerline so that I can SEE.  Sometimes it gets dark early in the woods.  When it's too dark to ID your target then it's quitting time.  That's common sense and not something that comes from the law book.  It's our responsibility as hunters.  

I met a guy that was hunting next to public land.  He heard a shot on his walk to the truck, after legal.  One young man had shot his hunting partner in an overgrown field, mistaking him for a coyote.  One hunter lost his life and the other lost his friend.  You can't unpull that trigger.  I'm all for 30 minutes before/after as long as you know your target and backdrop.

• Like 5

So 12 and 13 year olds being able to hunt is stupid?

Yes the way they did it freaking stupid. Show me any other hunting regulations that each county’s has to Opt into? What’s regulations next will have county’s opting into and out of? It’s a stupid can of worms they opened.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

I will say, I took to following her leaf blowing trails idea . Absolutely dead silent walking , guests can find stands on their own , and I can see clear deer tracts and directions in it . I might just leaf blow the entire woods !

Common practice in places where tracking hunts happen is to drag brush on a rope behind a vehicle on 2 tracks/roads to sweep them clean to check for prints. And you now have a timeline started to age them.

Lots of interesting info learned from reading tracks.

Sweeping paths into blinds a common occurrence when predator hunting baited set ups in other places . I usually get that job, and not uncommon to do 150 to 200 yds so you can walk quietly in the dark.

Good to see NY making changes. 

Get rid of back tags and they might catch up to the rest of the states.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

Hey, you are all forgetting a very important thing here! Someone needs to call the staff and alert them they need to get the "Official Live From The Woods" thread going ASAP!

Atomic Fire Ball orders need to be placed!

This puts a lot of pressure to rush around and get those items there was almost a month left to get!

Edited by DirtTime

2 hours ago, Lucky118 said:

Pretty sure it was ignored anyhow lol. Can usually run out of fingers and toes counting  how many people ignored it first day lol

Yes not enforced so make it same.as all other species makes sense.. if you can see a beard on a tom a half hour before light you sure can see if it's a deer or not

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nomad said:

Lot's of valuable members like her have been lost unfortunately. Would be great if they came back around, wish them the best whether they are lurkers now or not.

-My car has a "sopranoes trunk" too... but ł ratchet strap them to my trunk against my spoiler... 

Time to buy a truck ł guess. 

Edited by XGX7PM