Wheat/white clover in

I finished my last two plots of the season tonight.  About 2 acres of wheat white clover mix.  I was hoping to add some soybeans to that, but couldn't find any.  It looks like rain every day next week, so this was my last chance to get these in before the special September early gun season.

The turnip radish mix that I put in in early August is looking pretty good and so is the corn that was planted in May.  Hopefully, a doe steps out for a last meal next Saturday.  I saw a couple tonight, while I was planting. 

The wheat won't be too effective until the end of October, and it will be another year until the new clover pans out.  The wheat attracts deer and is a great "nurse crop" for the clover.  The radishes and corn and last year's clover should provide the best draw this September.

20210902_214254.jpg

• Like 6

I just picked up a 100 pounds of rye today, I haven't found wheat the last couple years.

Anyways I'm going to play the rain game and head upstate MONDAY or Tuesday depending on weather. 

160 pounds of urea for my brassica plots, seed the rye and my food plots are also done for the year. 

One of the brassica plots has been getting munched on for the last month so between that and overseeding it I don't have high hopes but it is still a draw.

This is my first 100% no till year and I'm pretty happy overall. Diversity hopefully will pay off.

• Like 3

A good idea for Rye plantings is to double plant it(layer it) Early september is probably a tad early for rye as it grows in colder temps. Plant half now and half in 2 weeks. youll have rye at two different maturity stages. Or wheat, then rye the next. Just different ways to keep plots drawing wildlife. 

Keep posting pics fellas! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

A good idea for Rye plantings is to double plant it(layer it) Early september is probably a tad early for rye as it grows in colder temps. Plant half now and half in 2 weeks. youll have rye at two different maturity stages. Or wheat, then rye the next. Just different ways to keep plots drawing wildlife. 

Keep posting pics fellas! 

interesting.  So the farmer just finally got over to cut on one corner of the hayfield we plan on hunting. He is just bailing it today.  Think it would be worth overseeding with some throw and grow rye ?  Ive got a bag left and thought it might make that corner a little "sweeter" for the deer.  

• Like 1