Skipping Bow Season This Year

Splitear

I took a hike with my daughter yesterday, and came to the decision that I'm going to sit out bow season this year. There are a few things that have led to this decision:

1. I haven't given myself the time to practice in the off season this year, and I don't want to try to cram a bunch of practice in before next month.

2. My wife is due with our 2nd daughter at the end of October, and I want to be there for her as much as possible in the last part of her pregnancy. I don't think I would be able to sit in a tree stand without feeling guilty that I wasn't home with her.

3. This is the big one: Walking through the woods with my 2 year old yesterday brought it home that these are my last couple of months with just her. I've spent the last 2 1/2 years watching her grow and learn, and I want to cherish these last few months of "us". I think my time this fall would be better spent in nature with her rather than by myself. 

It's funny, as soon as I came to the realization, I was amazed at how easy it was. I really enjoy the archery season, but there are just some things that are more important. I am very hopeful that I get at least a few days during gun season to get out of the house and hit the deer woods. 

IMG_0108.jpeg

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 27

1 minute ago, ApexerER said:

Good for you!  You can always take her with you...... I took my daughter when she was old enough to climb a ladder. Lots of memories (for me atleast) but i think i screwed up because we never saw anything and she lost interest.....Is that in the Nature Preserve?

I'll get around to it, if she has an interest, right now she's all about princesses and "neigh-neighs" (horses). There is hope though, because she's not afraid of getting dirty. I'm also excited to see our next daughter's personality develop. 

Yes, that's the preserve. It was a nice walk yesterday. Not too buggy, and we saw some ducks, a heron and a few turtles. She had a lot of fun and slept well last night :)

• Like 2

Beautiful girl! Number 3 is the big one that sits with me, They are all important but those years of just the two of you. I had 4 years between my two. The older one was joined at my hip. Precious memories you would never get back. Great post and I hope you shoot a monster at gun season!

• Like 1

We all need validation in one form or another for any decision we as men make. I know it isn't talked about alot, but guilt is something I think a good chunk of men handle for nearly every decision they make or don't make. It's simply just not spoken about enough in today's culture. 

Having conviction with decisions is a great feeling. Congrats.

• Like 2

Congrats on coming to that decision. You only have so much time with her. I've hunted pretty hard the past 13 years, but my favorite day in the woods is still the day I took my two year old daughter "squirrel hunting." I didn't even bring a gun but we had a blast exploring the woods, making up stories, pretending to see all sorts of African game, and then eating wild apples for lunch. I didn't see a single animal that day, but it's still the best day of "hunting" I've ever had.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

I'll get around to it, if she has an interest, right now she's all about princesses and "neigh-neighs" (horses). There is hope though, because she's not afraid of getting dirty. I'm also excited to see our next daughter's personality develop. 

Yes, that's the preserve. It was a nice walk yesterday. Not too buggy, and we saw some ducks, a heron and a few turtles. She had a lot of fun and slept well last night :)

Get some camo "make up" and have her paint your face on the stand! She will be all in!....lol

• Haha 2

Congrats and good luck on the growing family. My oldest was born in August and that was a very short bow season for me. But I also needed that break and self-time away. Maybe you don't bow hunt, but you might find yourself going for a walk to clear your head. And either or is ok! You hunt how you want, when you want and don't let anyone tell you different!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

We all need validation in one form or another for any decision we as men make. I know it isn't talked about alot, but guilt is something I think a good chunk of men handle for nearly every decision they make or don't make. It's simply just not spoken about enough in today's culture. 

Having conviction with decisions is a great feeling. Congrats.

Funny to read this , I got home yesterday to an empty house . I loaded the dishwasher and started it . I figured i would get a couple rounds of call of duty in before anyone got home , my plan was going just fine for the first 15 minutes until 2 baskets of clothes in the living kept nagging me to get folded before my wife got back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is good not to become so focused on one thing that you miss out on all else. As an old fart, I can tell you a bit about how fast time flies by, and how so much of life gets lost zeroing all of your attention on just one thing. I see your attitude as being very flexible and able to grab onto the important aspects of life before they slip away forever. That is something that we don't all have the foresight to do as the years quickly tick away.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Funny to read this , I got home yesterday to an empty house . I loaded the dishwasher and started it . I figured i would get a couple rounds of call of duty in before anyone got home , my plan was going just fine for the first 15 minutes until 2 baskets of clothes in the living kept nagging me to get folded before my wife got back.

I can relate. I can’t relax until I know all of the house chores are done :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

It is good not to become so focused on one thing that you miss out on all else. As an old fart, I can tell you a bit about how fast time flies by, and how so much of life gets lost zeroing all of your attention on just one thing. I see your attitude as being very flexible and able to grab onto the important aspects of life before they slip away forever. That is something that we don't all have the foresight to do as the years quickly tick away.

Thank you for this. 

Last 2 years I haven't done any big game and hardly any hunting at all. Lost my mojo for a bit with other things complicating life.

Still enjoy reading others posts here and elsewhere.

Tracked a very nice deer last year during regular season for a day, didn't even have a rifle with me. Started out the day set for a long hike. Had a ball in some fresh snow.

Booked a 2 week hunting/ fishing trip in spring this year for 2 weeks to get back into it. I'm just a couple weeks away now.

You'd think it was my first opening day coming up. I have slept in a week now that I'm so close.

Enjoy the diversion, this will all still be here.

• Like 2

Also I’ll add as they get older hopefully they have a love of the outdoors. My oldest girl loves being in the woods and at my camp. It’s become a really good reason to spend time in the woods.

Dare I say I’m more into hunting now than I was before she got interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You're a good man, husband, and father. Deer will be there. Time will not. I feel the same way about my family (just glad my youngest was born in June!) But my season will be much shortened this year because this fall will be the best with my 3-1/2 year old and out family. We're here to make memories and smiles, not stack racks on the wall.

Good job!

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 11:40 AM, Jeremy K said:

fold between games or buyback... duh!

Edited by Belo