I’m shooting oddly

Nomad

So bow Hunter since ‘88 . My first session this year, right on ,10,20,30 yards , then last time 10-25 right on with 20 yard pin, but a good 6 inches high at 30 with 30 yard pin this has never happened and nothings moved on the bow i figure it’s me . So today same thing high w/30 , so I decide to shoot with 20 yard pin at 30 , way low wtf . I ended on a positive with a dead center shot from 30 w/30 yard pin .

im thinking it’s a mental thing idk though , and I have never took a shot at a deer over 25 , with 12-15 being an average distance for me , but it’s frustrating. Baseball groups 5-25 , way high at 30 !

Target panic at 30…. You are probably initially setting your 20 yard pin on the target then raising to the 30. You are punching the release as the 30 yard pin climes through the strike zone. As a Result you are throwing the arrow high.

That’s my best guess because if I’m not careful I do it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 2:16 PM, Nomad said:

So bow Hunter since ‘88 . My first session this year, right on ,10,20,30 yards , then last time 10-25 right on with 20 yard pin, but a good 6 inches high at 30 with 30 yard pin this has never happened and nothings moved on the bow i figure it’s me . So today same thing high w/30 , so I decide to shoot with 20 yard pin at 30 , way low wtf . I ended on a positive with a dead center shot from 30 w/30 yard pin .

im thinking it’s a mental thing idk though , and I have never took a shot at a deer over 25 , with 12-15 being an average distance for me , but it’s frustrating. Baseball groups 5-25 , way high at 30 !

Any updates?

After shooting bow for decades, I get days like this too. Where I say to myself WTF!!! But learned to not adjust a perfectly fine bow, unless the problem persists for more than one shooting session. 

Usually it was some "odd" thing I was doing to compensate for how I was feeling that day!

I shot a handful of arrows today , 30 was high again . Then I really concentrated and paid attention to form and they dropped down to where they  should hit , I’m only talking two arrows , as I stopped as I don’t like to shoot to much when folks are outside in the neighborhood.

We leave for camping tomorrow nit sure when I’ll get to shoo again 

• 2 weeks later...

So I’m going with my eyesight . I had LASIK years ago and it’s been wonderful, but the need for stronger reading glasses has increased . Today it seemed my yellow 30 yard pin was not only blurry but at one point a double image .

The green 20 yard pin seems ok as odd as that sounds . Tried using the readers but that didn’t work well . Later I’ll try my sunglasses as they change the colors , ( brighter ) when I use them normally.

Canceled Kring Pt as the forecast was rain most of the days . 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

So I’m going with my eyesight . I had LASIK years ago and it’s been wonderful, but the need for stronger reading glasses has increased . Today it seemed my yellow 30 yard pin was not only blurry but at one point a double image .

The green 20 yard pin seems ok as odd as that sounds . Tried using the readers but that didn’t work well . Later I’ll try my sunglasses as they change the colors , ( brighter ) when I use them normally.

Canceled Kring Pt as the forecast was rain most of the days . 

i struggle with this as well. Had the eye surgery 20+ years ago and it was great.  But now i do need glasses to drive and for distance. I like to wear them while hunting, but with the bow i often get double pins in certain light.   I pick the brightest set.  lol .  It sure sucks though at times.  It hasnt happened yet when shooting a deer but most times i am practicing without my glasses for this reason . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Funny you say certain light , I noticed a difference as I moved between the shadows and sunlight .

I use to wear glasses for distance. Oddly enough as my reading has gone to hell my distance got better. BUT when I was wearing glasses I noticed a marked difference in POI of the arrow with my glasses on compared to when they were off. staring down the bridge of your nose you get light refraction through the lens and the pin really isn't where it would be with the naked eye.  So don't be surprised if you have to adjust pins if you are going to go with glasses now. 

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I use to wear glasses for distance. Oddly enough as my reading has gone to hell my distance got better. BUT when I was wearing glasses I noticed a marked difference in POI of the arrow with my glasses on compared to when they were off. staring down the bridge of your nose you get light refraction through the lens and the pin really isn't where it would be with the naked eye.  So don't be surprised if you have to adjust pins if you are going to go with glasses now. 

Can’t really shoot with my reading glasses, just dint work well . Green 20 yard pin is deadly till 25 , I’d need be I’ll just hold high .

I thought of a single green pin sited in at 25 and see how things went , but I’m not touching anything two weeks prior . 

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i struggle with this as well. Had the eye surgery 20+ years ago and it was great.  But now i do need glasses to drive and for distance. I like to wear them while hunting, but with the bow i often get double pins in certain light.   I pick the brightest set.  lol .  It sure sucks though at times.  It hasnt happened yet when shooting a deer but most times i am practicing without my glasses for this reason . 

Same , had lasik about 20 years ago also and my distance sight has  decreased and now wearing contacts and readers  . I’m still good with not needing my readers to see my pins , maybe my 32  inch long draw helps . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1