New property ? Neighbor riding 4 wheelers

luberhill

So I’ll have a few years to hunt this 60 acre pc . Owner wants me to post it and I’ll have it to myself .

I know the neighbor kid rides his quad on the property . I was thinking when his father asks me if he can ride, saying , look.,,

Im posting it and putting up cameras , off the record I don’t see anything but come October 1st till the end of December it’s 100 percent off limits .

Im sure he isn’t going to like it but ,,

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Are you leasing or do you just have the rights to hunt the land?

Does the actual owner allow the kid to ride there?

The owner is a friend of mine he just bought it . He’s letting me do whatever I want until he moves here from Calif . In a few years..

He wants no one on it but me ..So technically I’m not leasing it , but he’s leaving me I charge.

He just bought it but the previous owner did allow it

Edited by luberhill
  • Like 1

I would say tell them no.  If anyone that would get injured riding an atv it will be a kid.  To much liability to try and be neighborly.  I would explain it to them and if they still continue put up a gate. 

At the end of the day it's the owners say. If he says nobody but you then you need to explain that to the kid and his parents.

• Like 3

My buddy has a GNCC track for his dirtbike ,uses his tractor and 3 wheeler daily for firewood on the 90 acres i hunt . It doesn't change the deer patterns . If anything get yourself a 4 wheeler and drive right up to the deer because thats what's gonna happen. You can get within 20 yards of even the big boys as long as you keep the wheels underneath you. People can say what they think but ive been witnessing it for the last 17 years now. As long as he isnt riding while you're actually hunting. 

• Like 3

Had the same problem on my property this past year , I sent the pic's I had from my trail cams to the PD and they found the individual and I received his Info and I called him and told him its no big deal but from Sept. 1st to Jan. 1st to - stay out of the woods - ! When I spoke to him after the local PD spoke to him he was real apologetic and said he saw the cam's so he know I have plenty of pics and that the Cams he saw were Bait Cams which startled him ! I told him to not go looking for the other Cams as I would report him again !  I haven't gotten any more Pics lately of him ! Posted signs are up !

Tres1.JPG

• Like 6

People like this neighbor & his kid think they have access to the property, regardless of it having a new owner & being posted. They'll continue trespassing until confronted. Which brings up the diplomatic tight-rope you have to walk. They need to be informed and "firmly" warned about repeat violations. In the end you don't want to create bad will for the neighbor and new owner when he physically moves in.

Some people just don't get it or don't care. Had a similar situation on property I have sole hunting rights on. Casually warned the intruders the 1st two times. Third time I had to get right in their face, showed the trail cam photos of them trespassing and stated law enforcement would be involved if it happens again. They got the message. I informed the land owner of what I was going to do and got his buy-in beforehand.

3 hours ago, luberhill said:

The owner is a friend of mine he just bought it . He’s letting me do whatever I want until he moves here from Calif . In a few years..

He wants no one on it but me ..So technically I’m not leasing it , but he’s leaving me I charge.

He just bought it but the previous owner did allow it

I was asking because situations like you are mentioning will go one of two ways. They will be respectful and honor your request, or they will give you and the new owner the high hearty middle finger and start doing things just to irritate you.

I hope it's the former and they are decent about the whole thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I was asking because situations like you are mentioning will go one of two ways. They will be respectful and honor your request, or they will give you and the new owner the high hearty middle finger and start doing things just to irritate you.

I hope it's the former and they are decent about the whole thing.

I’m going to post it and talk to the neighbor, I know him and he knows me . I’m more concerned about October , November and December but the new owner wants it’s posted and nobody but me on it 

Edited by luberhill

I went through the same problem with trespassers when I managed 360acres and the land owner lived up north the local cops did nothing because the owner wouldnt come down to prosecute the trespassers when I caught them so unless he rights up a contract giving you full legal responsibility to convict in his behalf u could just come out looking  like a dick to the locals.  One thing I know is most Cops dont like absenty landowners that  dont wanna take the time 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, silent death said:

I went through the same problem with trespassers when I managed 360acres and the land owner lived up north the local cops did nothing because the owner wouldnt come down to prosecute the trespassers when I caught them so unless he rights up a contract giving you full legal responsibility to convict in his behalf u could just come out looking  like a dick to the locals.  One thing I know is most Cops dont like absenty landowners that  dont wanna take the time 

Yea I’m hoping this doesn’t go that route .. I don’t think it will be a problem but time will tell 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

A paper contract designates you as property mgr and you can then press trespassing charges.

Yup that's what the guy I watched the property for lawyers told him to but then they told him if something happend to me he may be liable so he wouldnt do that ...in todays world it's a touchy subject

Edited by silent death

Long story short. We first tried being nice. Didn't work. We were even flipped off. And had people hunting our stands!

So.........

We became known locally, as the crazy pric..s, that would chase you down, or follow you home, and have the police called.

But we own the property. 

Didn't take long for word to get out.

Haven't had a big problem in years now.

We still patrol year round, and especially during the hunting season, for even the walking trespassers. If not, the place would literally be over run.

Been there, done that.

Not anymore. 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 6

I can appreciate your desire to hunt that property and your initial plan but man oh man, I've been in your exact situation a couple times and it always, always turned into a shit show. Your post got me thinking (again) about how I could've handled things differently and what I learned that could've resulted in a better outcome. Hold up killer! Please consider these golden nuggets of landowner/neighbor/hunter psychology before proceeding.

I'll preface the following by saying that I understand the whole "It's my land, I'll protect my deer and hunting and throw your ass off and be a bad ass and prosecute you" crowd. I understand that point of view and sometimes that is the only option. But it really should be the last one if you can help it. It really depends on the circumstances of the situation as each time it's different.

Some realities. No one gives a crap who you are unless maybe, you actually own the property. And even then, if you were the actual owner, you'd be the "new" owner which doesn't mean squat to most people who own land next-door. They'll wait for you to make the first move and respond accordingly. When you start slamming up posted signs and knocking on doors telling people how it's going to be from now on it's never going to go over well.

Your friend wants you to post and manage the property, but legally, even if he wrote you a lease or legal document explaining your authority, your standing in the eyes of other people (neighbors and judges) wouldn't mean jack. Not law, just reality. Getting LEO and the DEC and the local courts involved is just a huge mess and a waste of time and resources and usually resolves very little.

So ask yourself this question. What is your #1 objective? Is it to hunt there and kill deer? Or to be a spokesperson, overseer and policeman for your friend that owns it? Pick a priority. Being both of those things is going to be very, very difficult.

What if the hunting just sucks and it is no fault of the neighbors? Since the place is new to you, and you're only going to hunt it for 2 years, does the potential for creating long term animus outweigh the potential for good hunting? I would include the possibility of hunting that piece long-term, for the next 5 or 10 years, into my thought process now.

Do the neighbors hunt? How much land do they own? Any chance you could get on their property to hunt as well? Personally I would be more concerned about other people hunting the new property than running around on a four wheeler. If the wheeler use is sporadic and not causing property damage I'd let it slide this year and feel out the situation. 

Think outside the box. I can tell you hunting loses its fun when your time is occupied fighting about land and who's doing what. Make a plan to hunt your friends place for the next five years and maybe you end up hunting his place AND the 200 surrounding acres of neighboring land.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Good luck!!!

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

I can appreciate your desire to hunt that property and your initial plan but man oh man, I've been in your exact situation a couple times and it always, always turned into a shit show. Your post got me thinking (again) about how I could've handled things differently and what I learned that could've resulted in a better outcome. Hold up killer! Please consider these golden nuggets of landowner/neighbor/hunter psychology before proceeding.

I'll preface the following by saying that I understand the whole "It's my land, I'll protect my deer and hunting and throw your ass off and be a bad ass and prosecute you" crowd. I understand that point of view and sometimes that is the only option. But it really should be the last one if you can help it. It really depends on the circumstances of the situation as each time it's different.

Some realities. No one gives a crap who you are unless maybe, you actually own the property. And even then, if you were the actual owner, you'd be the "new" owner which doesn't mean squat to most people who own land next-door. They'll wait for you to make the first move and respond accordingly. When you start slamming up posted signs and knocking on doors telling people how it's going to be from now on it's never going to go over well.

Your friend wants you to post and manage the property, but legally, even if he wrote you a lease or legal document explaining your authority, your standing in the eyes of other people (neighbors and judges) wouldn't mean jack. Not law, just reality. Getting LEO and the DEC and the local courts involved is just a huge mess and a waste of time and resources and usually resolves very little.

So ask yourself this question. What is your #1 objective? Is it to hunt there and kill deer? Or to be a spokesperson, overseer and policeman for your friend that owns it? Pick a priority. Being both of those things is going to be very, very difficult.

What if the hunting just sucks and it is no fault of the neighbors? Since the place is new to you, and you're only going to hunt it for 2 years, does the potential for creating long term animus outweigh the potential for good hunting? I would include the possibility of hunting that piece long-term, for the next 5 or 10 years, into my thought process now.

Do the neighbors hunt? How much land do they own? Any chance you could get on their property to hunt as well? Personally I would be more concerned about other people hunting the new property than running around on a four wheeler. If the wheeler use is sporadic and not causing property damage I'd let it slide this year and feel out the situation. 

Think outside the box. I can tell you hunting loses its fun when your time is occupied fighting about land and who's doing what. Make a plan to hunt your friends place for the next five years and maybe you end up hunting his place AND the 200 surrounding acres of neighboring land.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Good luck!!!

Yea the land is a great spot for deer, the neighbors do t hunt but there is a guy that does and he take some very nice bucks off from it

I’m more concerned about the 4 wheelers and having them there while hunting 

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Let the kid ride! There’s way worse things a kid can be doing these days! Riding four wheelers if done regularly doesn’t change a deers habits one bit!

My daughter and a few neighbor kids ride our property daily and it doesn’t affect our hunting at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m thinking safety !