New property ? Neighbor riding 4 wheelers

luberhill

Just now, Buckmaster7600 said:

You’re worried about shooting them with a bow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

?? No rifle 

Here’s the deal … the new owner doesn’t want anyone back there , wants me to post it and I can hunt it.

For liability reasons he doesn’t want the kids or other hunters .

He wants me to post it all.

If the guy with the kid that rides asks me I’m going to say off the record I don’t see anything .

But , I’d like him to stay off the property from October to December.

I will be Turkey and deer hunting there.

If he gets hurt and tries to come back on the owner , the property will be all posted 

You turkey hunt with a rifle?

It’s your friends property so you can do what you want! Coming from a kid that could ride on any neighbors property I wanted excluding hay fields it was a hell of a way to grow up. I’ve done everything I can to make the same situation for my daughter and the neighbors kids. A side benefit is I make trails that go under all my tree stands and I never have to worry about leaf blowing my trails because the wheeler traffic takes care of that.

To me you sound like you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth “it’s your decisions so none of our opinions matter” but when you say he’s worried about liability and say you’re worried about safety but then say you won’t see anything as long as it’s not during hunting season seems contradictory to me.

Once again, from personal experience, that scenario will become a shit show in short order. Go have a common ground face to face with the neighbor and his son. No agenda. Hope for the best. Tell him you love riding quads too and love to tear it up but were hoping x, y and z. Tact buddy, will be your best ally.

Reach out to the dude who kills deer there and try to make an agreement. You might make a friend. And kill a banger.

Like I said, its not what you say, its how you say it. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't confront anyone at all.  If it's the landowners and your decision that no one is to be on it but you, it seems black and white to me.  If your going to post it then throw in a few no atv signs in obvious areas.  They will prob see the signs and then realize they shouldn't be on there.  

IF they decide to then trespass only then do you have to take it further. And by further I would call the sherriff Dept.  

But give them the benefit of the doubt that they will abide by the new postings.  If they don't they weren't going to anyway and your just wasting your time with a face to face. You don't have to explain to the neighbors why you post your own land.  If they don't stay off then take legal actions.

Chances are they will get the hint with the hard postings and not want their kid to take the risk. 

But realize if you let one ride your telling anyone they can ride there. Best to just set the line, post the property and field the issues if they occur. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

You turkey hunt with a rifle?

It’s your friends property so you can do what you want! Coming from a kid that could ride on any neighbors property I wanted excluding hay fields it was a hell of a way to grow up. I’ve done everything I can to make the same situation for my daughter and the neighbors kids. A side benefit is I make trails that go under all my tree stands and I never have to worry about leaf blowing my trails because the wheeler traffic takes care of that.

To me you sound like you’re talking out of both sides of your mouth “it’s your decisions so none of our opinions matter” but when you say he’s worried about liability and say you’re worried about safety but then say you won’t see anything as long as it’s not during hunting season seems contradictory to me.

Well AGAIN , the new owner wants NOBODY on the property except me !!!

I was willing to let it ride EXCEPT during hunting season .

And no I don’t hunt Turkey with a rifle , but I don’t hunt them with a bow either !

Not a lot of fun Turkey hunting an area to have someone come tearing they in a quad !

My experience is 100% opposite Enigma .

I hunt a few thousand acre farm but its patchwork, bought up farms all over the place . Everybody hunted the piece they lived by, hiked it rode sleds and so on . A guy showed up and offered to manage it hunting wise , he posted it all, tossed off everyone ,even the old man walking his dog .

Hes long gone but to this day nobody sets foot on the land for the most part .

My friend bought 60 acres from a guy who lived out of state . His first opening day of gun , he tossed off 17 Hunters ,who for years just hunted the land as it was theirs , zeros issues to today many years later . 

in this situation the ATV riders must be from neighboring land , it’s not like they don’t have other land to rode on .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

My experience is 100% opposite Enigma .

I hunt a few thousand acre farm but its patchwork, bought up farms all over the place . Everybody hunted the piece they lived by, hiked it rode sleds and so on . A guy showed up and offered to manage it hunting wise , he posted it all, tossed off everyone ,even the old man walking his dog .

Hes long gone but to this day nobody sets foot on the land for the most part .

My friend bought 60 acres from a guy who lived out of state . His first opening day of gun , he tossed off 17 Hunters ,who for years just hunted the land as it was theirs , zeros issues to today many years later . 

in this situation the ATV riders must be from neighboring land , it’s not like they don’t have other land to rode on .

They have a house on one acre that borders this pc 60 acres

My neighbor rides thru my property, Mows my trails and cuts up dead falls blocking them, he isn't allowed to rider from labor day weekend till end of Dec, and no riding from April to end of may.. has no issues with my request and is a respectful rider.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

My neighbor rides thru my property, Mows my trails and cuts up dead falls blocking them, he isn't allowed to rider from labor day weekend till end of Dec, and no riding from April to end of may.. has no issues with my request and is a respectful rider.

We had the same situation, but the guy riding the ATVs was hosting groups of friends to trail ride - admittedly only using our land to traverse to his Mom's place a couple miles away, so other than a few ruts, it wasn't a big deal to me. Unfortunately, some of the neighbor's land that he rode through is extremely wet, and the ruts he and his buddies created made the trails there unmanageable. Hence, the neighbor withdrew permission. Since he couldn't get through without riding the neighbor's land, there was no use cutting though my place either.

And that was that. No drama, just a polite exchange. Now, this was between grown men and understandable due to the nature of the situation. But even prior to the final decision by the neighbor, the use of ATVs was nevertheless limited to the months G-Man describes, and nobody had an issue with that. It seems reasonable to me. 

• Like 1

I have ridden my four wheeler around my property since I acquired it in 2004 the deer are used to it and I drive past them often checking cameras and doing work on the food plots and stands. I don’t drive back there a lot during hunting season only if I have to get a deer fix a Stand something like that.  But I don’t let anybody else back there with their four wheelers or snowmobiles.   When I first purchased the second piece in I had some neighbors driving their four wheelers around with their friends on the property but spoke to them and put an end to that quickly.   I posted up my property and now if I have any issues I just call the game warden or police and let them do their job.   

• Like 3