Fletch In The Field 21

Fletch

Just starting to think about hunting season, its coming on fast. I have not been doing anything for the past 3 weeks with a back injury. I did mow out all the trails out back to my stands and cleared some lanes. Have a bunch of bucks on cams. 2-3 of them are decent. The early season caught me by surprise. I hunt 8f but never get a doe tag because you can get the two extras later so I kinda screwed myself by getting doe tags early in my other zones. Not sure I want to deal with the mosquitoes anyway but with rifle its pretty much a guaranteed doe and would start the freezer off right of the bat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, First-light said:

Nice deer Fletch! Feel better. I'm still out with this nagging groin injury. Hope to feel better so I can get to my place at Bow season. What are they munching on? 

It is just a fallow field lots of variety of weeds and grass. There are a few apple trees in the field as well. 

Hope you heal up fast, I hate not being able to get out and do site prep.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

thats not the hole!  

But sure looks promising! Nice buck.  Hope you down that one. 

That is true, that is the back yard! On a good note the development that was going to happen at the Hole fell through so Maybe another year or more!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10/3 pm 62

Out for the last 2 hours. Mostly calm and just felt like a good night. After an hour a reached out the snap a little branch in front of me and either the noise and/ or my move caused an unknown deer 15 yards to my side in the real thick stuff to jump. Solo deer just saw tail and ass. No bueno.

That was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/4 am 58

Another day of dripping leaves and very quiet woods for the deer to sneak in. Sat for 2 hours in the far stand out back. Took forever to get light. I could not have shot anything before true sunrise. I did have 2 does sneak in behind me to about 40 yards. I did not see them until she saw me take a sip of coffee and blew. She settled down and the two just fed away to my right. She must have just caught a little movement and after that could not figure out what it was.

• Like 1

10/6 pm 72

Hunted the far hole stand for 2 hours. It was warm, buggy and breezeless. I did see one half rack buck at about 6:30 75 yards out. Had 3 on one side the other was broken or malformed at a couple inches. I did bring in the Thermocell today. 

I did drop a cam near the outer hole stand as I had seen a big track using that end.

I will be in the Dacks for the next few days so not back in until Tuesday. 

10/12 pm 74

Slipped out back in the field edge stand for the last hour. Big zero. Pulled cam there and very slow. One small buck in daylight. I freshened the scrape and will let that stand sit for a while. Deer are on different foods than a couple weeks ago. I would really like a nice 45 degree morning.

10/13 pm 72

Got out for 1.5 hours in the far stand out back. 10 minutes after sitting down had a 1.5 yo 8 point eating by 80 yards out. He ended up feeding in front of me as close as 15 yards for 30 minutes then bedded 25 yards from me for another 30 minutes then wandered off. At 5:50 saw another in the pines way out. Just saw for a couple seconds not sure doe or buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10/14 am 61

Total crap show going in. It was pretty quiet but bumped one up top going in and bumped it again and again...Jumped another near the middle stand at the Hole. Got up in stand and 10 minutes later had one blowing for 10 minutes.......

Expected outcome, zero deer seen sat 2 hours.

19/16 am 68

Waited until 7 to go in after the thunderstorm. Got in a 1.5 hour hunt before the rain started again. I did have one 1.5 year old buck come trotting towards me and cut up the ridge in front of me. He slowed to a walk for 3-4 seconds then took off again. Far stand out back.

10/16 pm 58

Got out for a two hour sit in the far stand again, It was down to a light rain when I got in and stopped after 30-40 minutes. It was supposed to stay stopped but started up pretty good right at dark. I heard a crack behind me around 6 or so then 2 seconds later another crack, crack. I am looking behind me and a deer comes flying outa the creek bottom and run by me at 10 yards just beating ass. Nice doe. When I got home the wife told me she let the dog out and spooked one outa the yard. I was 400 yards away but it must have been the same deer. Weird it would run that way. The dog didn't bark or chase it at all.

Day of spooked deer! Clothes in the dryer for second time today. Tomorrow looks wet as well. Will play it by ear.

10/19 am 44

Sat out in the far stand out back for 2 hours. Nice cool morn! Had a 4 point ease past me at 23 yards at 7:45 or so. That was it for the morn until I was packing up and about to shoot a practice arrow before I got down. I heard a dog barking up towards my house, I almost thought my pup got loose, and heard it barking way back in the woods. Texted the wife to make sure my pup was in and it was. Anyhow a lone yearling got put up by the commotion and came by me at 35 yards. Let it pass and headed in to work.