Fletch In The Field 21

Fletch

11/19 am 35

Sat for 1.5 hours in the tower this morning as it was snowing and blowing. Had a fisher chasing mice in front of me at 10 feet. That was very cool.

pm 40

Sat for 2 hours in the Stone stand out back. A big fat zero. I did pull cards today here and very slow but di have a non seen before shooter cruise through one night.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So just a bow season update. I logged 92.5 hours in the stand during bow season. During this time I saw from stand; 15 bucks, 8 does, 8 fawns and 5 unidentified sex. A pretty typical sighting year for my properties. 1 buck every 6.2 hours and a deer of any kind every 2.6 hours. I did see a couple shooter bucks and the one I took I saw a couple days. First time I have connected on a shooter that summered on the property. Usually they all scram when the crops peak way down the road and the bigger bucks I see are cruisers. The season was strange in that the first 3/4's or so were very good then it just died. The last couple weeks of bow the sightings were terrible. Overall a good bow season with a great buck but disappointed I could not stick a doe!

Update on gun season is gun season sucks lol.

Between four of us opening weekend my nephew got a doe. Last week I took a small one. Sat 10 hours in the stand this weekend and saw 0 deer. Makes it hard to bother. Sooner or later.....I need a few inches of snow on the ground.

Little more catch up. Here is the little one I took down in 7m on state with the 20 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer inn 11/26.
88a102f3c5210bf977405405a47e38cc.jpg

This next one was from the deep Hole stand in 7a 12/9 with the 7mm mag. Fair sized doe.

c3a9f54960ab1cbfd4aa56001a161da4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well the end of gun season and not much to add. My BIL who has bee at it hard on the weekends finally got a shot last night and had does all around him. He took a nice medium sized doe. Now onto ML I'm still looking for a nice buck or a chunky doe to top off the freezer and will be out most days of ML before I head to FL for XMas. So for you late fantasy deer folks I am outa the game 12/22-30. And will get out the last two days of the Holiday hunt most likely!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Otto said:

Plenty of time to get it done! 

After opening morning which I never see anything anyway I usually start seeing deer after the second week. Usually after some snow has been on the ground for a bit with some depth. This season has been warm. Only had more than an inch of snow on the ground once and that was last Thursday and shot the doe. Now back to bare ground again. The places I hunt the deer are just browsing and without at least 5+ inches of snow they seem spread all over and not inclined to move much. I will be out solid all week before work and the weekend. I wouldn't mind getting you some points lol. I slipped out for the last hour tonight on the field edge but no bueno. I do better late season than regular season pretty much every year.

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Rob, I came to the conclusion a long while back that I may not be a great hunter but persistence usually pays off. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while lol!  Plus if I am sitting on the couch I keep looking outside thinking wtf is out there now lol. I got nine months to rest!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Rob, I came to the conclusion a long while back that I may not be a great hunter but persistence usually pays off. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while lol!  Plus if I am sitting on the couch I keep looking outside thinking wtf is out there now lol. I got nine months to rest!

We are of the same mold for that for sure.  If I do skip a day I'm pissed at myself the next day that I didn't go.  And always say that same thing that you only get so many days to go.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

We are of the same mold for that for sure.  If I do skip a day I'm pissed at myself the next day that I didn't go.  And always say that same thing that you only get so many days to go.  

Apart from this yr, when I have not truly been hunting; I tell this to most people and they think I am crazy.

I am not even an average hunter but the reason I got deer in the seasons past is by increasing my probability of getting out there whenever I can. Even if its for couple of hours.

As once was said on this great forum "zero to hero in seconds". You never know when that deer is going to cross paths with you.

• Like 1

Tuesday morning was out in the Stone stand out back. It was a beautiful morning so I was prepared to see nothing lol. Even though it was 37 or so there was a frost on the leaves making them a bit crunchy. I was just done having my 8am coffee when I heard something behind me. I turned and saw a deer behind me so slowly stood and turned. Ended up being a doe and fawn and at first I though the doe was small so I did not raise my gun. They turned and walked right to me and I realized she was a good doe I couldn't move lol. They walked 5 feet to the side of my stand and under me. I stayed still until I could hear they were enough past me and moving that I could move without getting busted. I got her with the ML at about 40 yards stopped broadside. She went 50 yards and fell over. Nice doe, 110 dressed.

I will probably not hit it too much more as my freezer is in good shape. I will get out with the boys over the weekend and if I get a chance at a Big buck or a fat doe I know my boys would want the meat.

Edited by Fletch

• 3 weeks later...

Well capped off another season. Was a weird year. It took me weeks to really get into the groove and focus on the hunt. Too much at work/home/life took a while to decompress. Once that passed I was enjoying myself finally. Had a fairly normal sighting season and managed to take a mature buck with the bow on my list. Also was blessed to get 3 meat deer on top of that. No swings and misses and lots of passes on small bucks and baby deer. I can't remember a year where I only had one day with more than an inch of snow on the ground at my home property. The other 3 hunters in my family each got a deer. My son, who is not too passionate about it did not but he only got out a half dozen sits and did pass on a small buck. He prefers out of state hunts and hopefully after last year of no trips due to Covid and or missed draws we get back out of state. We should draw gator tags this year as we have 4 points. And we will be looking at another hunt as well.

Wish you all a Happy New Year!

• Like 3