Ameristep doghouse blind ?

luberhill

For what purpose ..?...    I have used them for the last 10 years or perhaps a little longer for  turkey hunting, and they work well for that...They are quick and easy to  put up and take down,  and they  are relatively durable and  weather resistant...

I have only used them for turkey but they would work OK for crossbow...There would be better choices for vertical bow...

I  get about 3 or 4 seasons out of one, barring  unexpected  damage ( I have had 2 destroyed by bears).....

5 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

For what purpose ..?...    I have used them for the last 10 years or perhaps a little longer for  turkey hunting, and they work well for that...They are quick and easy to  put up and take down,  and they  are relatively durable and  weather resistant...

I have only used them for turkey but they would work OK for crossbow...There would be better choices for vertical bow...

I  get about 3 or 4 seasons out of one, barring  unexpected  damage ( I have had 2 destroyed by bears).....

Gun season , deer hunting

Just now, luberhill said:

3 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Get yourself a comfortable stool and  shooting sticks/gunrest and they'll work fine..Just be sure to get them in position a good 2-3 weeks before season, because deer WILL shy away from them until they get used to them, unlike turkeys, which will  totally ignore hem, even in the middle of an open field...

• Like 1

Actually they are pretty good and I've gone back to them. Bought 2 last season. A little tricky to fold up but they look like a little pile of brush in the woods, low profile. Unlike hub blinds which look like a shed in the woods and need lots of brushing in. Super easy to put up. They aren't that great for bow, a bit tight and low. Good for xbow n rifle

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Get yourself a comfortable stool and  shooting sticks/gunrest and they'll work fine..Just be sure to get them in position a good 2-3 weeks before season, because deer WILL shy away from them until they get used to them, unlike turkeys, which will  totally ignore hem, even in the middle of an open field...

What tri pod shooting sticks are the best ?

I am currently using a Primos  Bipod Trigger stick, and I really like it....

Prior to that I used  a cheap set of crossed aluminum rods connected by an elastic cord...OK, but  not as adjustable or user friendly as the trigger stick...

There are others out there, like the Bog-Pod, that may work just as well  as the Primos, but I haven't tried them..

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, luberhill said:

What tri pod shooting sticks are the best ?

Another great option is keep a few pieces of split firewood around your feet. I use 3 pieces. Put my foot up on wood and rest my elbow on my knee for a super secure steady rest. Shooting sticks are another item that has to be grabbed at that important moment and shifted into position possible making noise or causing other fumblef*ckery

• Like 1

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

Look up the "Chair Blind".  I have a couple of em. Great for gun hunting in crappy weather. Or even nice weather.

I have three Primo's trigger sticks. Mono, bi, and tri. That covers just about all shooting situations. I really like them alot. 

• Like 1

Just now, grampy said:

Look up the "Chair Blind".  I have a couple of em. Great for gun hunting in crappy weather. Or even nice weather.

I have three Primo's trigger sticks. Mono, bi, and tri. That covers just about all shooting situations. I really like them alot. 

I looked at those chair blinds a few times. I haven't been able to see one set up and always wondered how big they actually are. They would be the cats meow for my wife if they allow her to move around a little while she's sitting. Is there any elbow room in them Dave?

2 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

I looked at those chair blinds a few times. I haven't been able to see one set up and always wondered how big they actually are. They would be the cats meow for my wife if they allow her to move around a little while she's sitting. Is there any elbow room in them Dave?

Yes, there is plenty of room in them, and the chair itself is oversized. 

I'm not a small person. I easily have close to a foot of space outside of the arms of the chair. And about two feet in front. Enough space to use a mono or bi pod to rest your firearm. And even stretch out your legs a bit.

Super comfortable too. And so easy to transport in its own carry bag. Just pull it out of the bag, open chair, set on the ground with the blind behind the chair, then just reach back and pull the blind over you while seated. 

Small profile too. Not as noticeable as a hub blind. Especially from a distance. I usually just put it in front of a bush, or in a blow down.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Ha , I just looked at one , it folded up no problem..

I watched the video , it really was pretty easy

It does look so easy! Until YOU do it!!!

I will admit to uttering a few choice words the first few times I tried to take down the Doghouse Blind. Once you get down 'where' to bend and twist, it is pretty easy though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

It does look so easy! Until YOU do it!!!

I will admit to uttering a few choice words the first few times I tried to take down the Doghouse Blind. Once you get down 'where' to bend and twist, it is pretty easy though.

I actually did it three times ..once I folded it and got it like a taco shell  it kinda folded all by itself ..

Pretty slick

Edited by luberhill

2 hours ago, luberhill said:

Ha , I just looked at one , it folded up no problem..

I watched the video , it really was pretty easy

Try it mid December with temps in the teens, and a 15mph wind.  

I got so frustrated trying to get the thing folded I busted it up and tossed it in the dumpster. 

Yes, there is plenty of room in them, and the chair itself is oversized. 
I'm not a small person. I easily have close to a foot of space outside of the arms of the chair. And about two feet in front. Enough space to use a mono or bi pod to rest your firearm. And even stretch out your legs a bit.
Super comfortable too. And so easy to transport in its own carry bag. Just pull it out of the bag, open chair, set on the ground with the blind behind the chair, then just reach back and pull the blind over you while seated. 
Small profile too. Not as noticeable as a hub blind. Especially from a distance. I usually just put it in front of a bush, or in a blow down.

How would that work as a quicky ice fishing shelter from them arctic winds we get in 3S?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk