The "Plan your rutcation" thread

UpStateRedNeck

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2021 at 3:56 PM, UpStateRedNeck said:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/when-to-hunt-the-rut-moon-phases/

Always enjoy reading these, but never put too much stock in them.  To me it's the last week of now, first week of gun.  Daylight movement more dependent on high pressure / temps.

Best time right now! @crappyice wont agree

peak breeding that the rut is based around happens close to the same time every year. whether your plugged into the action or not just depends on if the closest hot doe are in your spot or the next wood lot or field over. opening days with hunters hitting the woods with lead flying gets deer moving. I scheduled to take off for the opening week of gun season in Kentucky, just prior to start of opening week of southern zone gun season here in NY. If I tag out early I'll be jumping the border on the way home to hunt Ohio. lol no surprise the woods should be lit up then.

I have Nov 1st off for a three day weekend. 

Nov 6th through the 15th. to hunt.

Back to work for four days.

The week of Thanksgiving off.

Not targeting just one specific buck, and passing all others this year. That humbled me last year.

• Like 1

I'm finally starting to slow down enough that I'm getting excited about heading out in the woods. I just scheduled off Fridays for the rest of the year, the 2nd week and 4th week in November and the last week of December.  I still have 4 weeks of time I'll never be able to use so I'm sure I'll burn a couple more days here and there.

Edited by Don_C

Remember........the "Magic Day" of the rut  is Nov 10th, in these parts. The five days on either side of that are prime ones too. Regardless of moon phase! So plan accordingly!!! But any day from now to the end of the season, could be a "Magic Day" if you happen to be in the right place, at the right time! Let's get it done!

• Like 1

I'm a lot busier this year than I was last year and with extra family stuff going on I will probably be only hunting the weekends unfortunately. I may sneak out for a few Friday evening's before the regular season but that will be the extent of my rutcation. 

I thought I had all day Saturday to hunt this weekend but family stuff came up and now I'm out for the entire weekend. 

I am planning on taking a few days for that new holiday late season to sit in the woods with the kids in a nice heated stand. 

13 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Waiting for @grampyto lasso that 160"er for me and I will take a day off to "hunt" it!  lol

Starting to see some shooters now but will probably limit hunting to whenever I have time.   Too much going on this year to take time off.

You sir, always have an open invitation to hunt here!

160 inchers are not very common this side of Syracuse though!......lol

• Haha 1

I work 4 - 10’s with Mondays off, so I’m doing the 4th,5th 1/2 days off hunting afternoon. Then taking 9th , 10th off , 11th is Veterans Day so I’ll be off 6 days including my 3 day weekend . Then taking 16th , 17th and 18th for another 6 days off. I’ll probably stick to my 3 day weekends over firearms and then take a day here there for late season / holiday M/Z . 

Edited by rob-c