NY’s new big game law on wearing orange

luberhill

I guess in order to get the ability to shoot earlier and later, wearing a blaze orange hat is the price.  It's needed during those low light hours because a few hunters still don't positively identify their targets or make sure the bullet hits a backstop.  It could've been worse, as they could have mandated much more orange.  Or they could've mandated only blaze pink.  LOL!

Edited by Grouse

40 minutes ago, mowin said:

If it's your house, you don't have to be 500' away. 

I just ranged our house, and it is 600 feet away.  The nieghbor across the street is next closest at 900 ft.  I know them well, and they are ok with me shooting.  New folks just moved in next door, slightly further away, who I have not yet met.  I will make sure it is ok with them, before shooting any more from our bedroom window.

57 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I usually wear Orange when walking around during a Fall Turkey Hunt so,I don't  get Arrowed. I can always change into a Camo Hat.

That is what I have always done, during any gun season. I guess I will just leave the camo hat home now, and only use it during archery season.  I have only hunted the crossbow portion of that since 2014.

It has been a while since I have seen any other hunters, anyplace that I have hunted.  The last time was opening day of early ML season, up in the nz, about 4 years ago.

I found a nice spot, at the edge of a swamp, and sat down there in my tree hammock chair.  I removed my orange hat and hung it in a branch, as far above my head as I could reach.

I began a rattling sequence, complete with raking of leaves.  Soon after, I saw a dark form rise up out of the swamp and move directly towards me.  

As it got closer, I thought that it may have been a large black bear, standing up on its back legs.  As it continued closer, I saw the chartreuse hat.

"The bear" turned out to be a neighbor, from the far north end of the lake.   I had fooled him, but not any real bears or bucks.  He noted my hanging orange hat, soon after I saw his yellow one.  I guess that wont be legal anymore, but I saw it well before he saw my orange one, probably because he was moving.

I still kid him, from time to time, about when I rattled him up out of the swamp. He thought it was a real buck fight.  He is a great guy, who owns a construction outfit, in the finger lakes region.  He often has that same yellow hat on, when I see him out on the lake fishing.  Too bad he wont be able to wear it hunting anymore.  It is way more stylish than pink or blaze orange.

I can remember arguing this subject wit Bubba, most of you don't know him he was on here years ago, he was not for it. I on the other hand feel as though anything that can make you safer in the woods is good by me. I will not let anyone out of my camp without an orange vest on. My people get it but also know to identify targets. That is not the case on your neighbors property or state land. My opinion you have yours. 

46 minutes ago, First-light said:

I can remember arguing this subject wit Bubba, most of you don't know him he was on here years ago, he was not for it. I on the other hand feel as though anything that can make you safer in the woods is good by me. I will not let anyone out of my camp without an orange vest on. My people get it but also know to identify targets. That is not the case on your neighbors property or state land. My opinion you have yours. 

I agree, but unfortunately, that dont work for everyone.  I had an incident many years ago that continues to effect how I hunt until this day.

I saw a doe, at the edge of our property, that was well beyond the effective range of the my 16 gauge smoothbore.

I got down from my tree stand, and attempted to close the range.  She walked away, thru a thick hedge row, onto a neighbor's hay field, that I had permission to hunt.

I was wearing a blaze orange jacket and hat.  I stepped through the hedge row and immediately felt the pressure wave of a passing slug against my face, then heard the first of 5 shots.  Feeling a shot before you hear it is something you never forget.

I hit the dirt, and the dirt started hitting me, as the other 4 slugs landed nearby.  The doe stood in the middle of that field and the other guy on the far corner (in blaze orange head to toe) had unloaded his semi auto on her.

He probably came much closer to me than he did to her with those 5 shots.  Now, I seldom venture off our own property (in the southern zone), and I spend most of my time about 10 ft up a tree.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I agree, but unfortunately, that dont work for everyone.  I had an incident many years ago that continues to effect how I hunt until this day.

I saw a doe, at the edge of our property, that was well beyond the effective range of the my 16 gauge smoothbore.

I got down from my tree stand, and attempted to close the range.  She walked away, thru a thick hedge row, onto a neighbor's hay field, that I had permission to hunt.

I was wearing a blaze orange jacket and hat.  I stepped through the hedge row and immediately felt the pressure wave of a passing slug against my face, then heard the first of 5 shots.  Feeling a shot before you hear it is something you never forget.

I hit the dirt, and the dirt started hitting me, as the other 4 slugs landed nearby.  The doe stood in the middle of that field and the other guy on the far corner (in blaze orange head to toe) had unloaded his semi auto on her.

He probably came much closer to me than he did to her with those 5 shots.  Now, I seldom venture off our own property (in the southern zone), and I spend most of my time about 10 ft up a tree.

Glad you are ok. I have had slugs fly by me in a tree stand. It's not fun. 

4 minutes ago, First-light said:

Glad you are ok. I have had slugs fly by me in a tree stand. It's not fun. 

Definitely not.   The slug that parted my hair (I had way more of that back then) had to be less than an inch away.  I used to do a lot of drives and other hunting from the ground prior to that, but you couldn't pay me to do much of that now.

At least in areas where there are lots of "aborigins" around (that is my word for other hunters who I don't know).  It is not too bad on the ground, up in the northern zone most anytime, and down in the Southern tier after Thanksgiving.

2 hours ago, wolc123 said:

Definitely not.   The slug that parted my hair (I had way more of that back then) had to be less than an inch away.  I used to do a lot of drives and other hunting from the ground prior to that, but you couldn't pay me to do much of that now.

At least in areas where there are lots of "aborigins" around (that is my word for other hunters who I don't know).  It is not too bad on the ground, up in the northern zone most anytime, and down in the Southern tier after Thanksgiving.

Wow that close. Damn lucky. I can remember 20-30 years ago doing drives with 20 guys or so. Didn't know half of them and off we went, bullet flying at times. It was so bad. I don't mind doing small contained drives with 2-4 people that's it. 

• Like 1

Well, I will not be affected by the new laws regarding blaze orange. During firearms deer seasons, I am always a glowing orange beacon.....lol.

HOWEVER.....

We must not assume that because it is a law now that the lack of blaze orange is a signal that the coast is clear to shoot. Remember that there are people out performing outdoor chores and hikers and mountain bikers and the law does not apply to them.

Nothing replaces good safety mentality. Check out the background behind whatever you are shooting at. 

• Like 4

If there's firearms involved I always have and always will wear blaze orange on any public land. Hat and a vest. The past few years I started hunted the NZ with a bow for the week of the early ML season there's something orange hanging in a tree near by, usually my vest, and the hat was on so I could be seen while walking in and out of the woods. This year seeing I'll be using a ML I'll at minimum have an orange hat on if I'm sitting, and the vest will be on at all times if I'm walking around.

In the SZ you'd have to be a little nuts not to wear orange hunting on public land.

My hunting pack is camo, and I might just buy an orange one, I've seen a few that have a place to keep your back tag attached on the ones that don't have and webbing or outer zippers. Just something I'm rolling around for the SZ.

The private land I hunt in the NZ I don't wear orange nor does my wife. I don't plan to start now unless the land owner tells me I have too, though I very highly doubt he will. I also don't wear my tag on my back up in the NZ because I don't legally have too.

Edited by DirtTime