NY’s new big game law on wearing orange

luberhill

1 minute ago, Belo said:

My objection has nothing to do with deer. It's about other hunters. Some of us share some tight boundaries or even share land with others. I always wear a hat and vest on the ground, but I see no reason to display to the world that I'm freezing my ass off in a tree on 12/3 when the foliage is all down and I can be spotted from miles away. There is zero benefit here for me and only negative. The likelihood of being shot in a tree by a deer hunter is nearly zero, as stated by the DEC themselves. It's dumb and I cannot be convinced others.

Safety is what I do for a living and these kinds of rules are what give people like me a bad reputation.

It really is a big neon sign to an anti of what is going on and where to find you. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've shot quite a few deer wearing jeans. I know they are suppose to see "blue" best but I never had an issue. Scent and movement seems to be the biggest deal breaker and I'd try to stay away from detergents with "whiteners" in them. 

I've never hunted in blue jeans, but like you mentioned what I wear hunting I keep separate from everything else to be sure it's free from scent (the best I can do anyhow) and that uv brighteners weren't used in washing it.

14 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have never had an issue with an anti hunter.  I kind of wish I would

I have been honked at, that's about as bad as it's been for me too. But we all don't have the luxury of private property or nice neighbors. Also, sometimes I enjoy being in the woods without all my neighbors knowing it... until I rattle their world with the .30-06 being touched off haha.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

I have been honked at, that's about as bad as it's been for me too. But we all don't have the luxury of private property or nice neighbors. Also, sometimes I enjoy being in the woods without all my neighbors knowing it... until I rattle their world with the .30-06 being touched off haha.

I had one lady give me the thumbs up while I had a deer on a hitch hauler . I wear orange something during gun even in the tree because we hunt a decent sized hill and the neighbors scare me.

34 minutes ago, Belo said:

My objection has nothing to do with deer. It's about other hunters. Some of us share some tight boundaries or even share land with others. I always wear a hat and vest on the ground, but I see no reason to display to the world that I'm freezing my ass off in a tree on 12/3 when the foliage is all down and I can be spotted from miles away. There is zero benefit here for me and only negative. The likelihood of being shot in a tree by a deer hunter is nearly zero, as stated by the DEC themselves. It's dumb and I cannot be convinced others.

Safety is what I do for a living and these kinds of rules are what give people like me a bad reputation.

I get your point. Just not seeing what the fuss is all about from most people.

To me it's just a lot of people seething to find something to complain about. I used to think it was just being New Yorkers we all have attitudes, the past couple years it just seems like people need to cry about something, anything no matter how menial or inconsequential. People need to toss out the lace panties and get some man pants.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

To me it's just a lot of people seething to find something to complain about. I used to think it was just being New Yorkers we all have attitudes, the past couple years it just seems like people need to cry about something, anything no matter how menial or inconsequential. People need to toss out the lace panties and get some man pants.

wasn't it "crying" about the need for orange that started this?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I've shot quite a few deer wearing jeans. I know they are suppose to see "blue" best but I never had an issue. Scent and movement seems to be the biggest deal breaker and I'd try to stay away from detergents with "whiteners" in them. 

100% agree. My only point was that if one is attempting to be unseen, wearing the color that is the brightest of the color spectrum to a deer is counterproductive. Of course guys shoot them wearing blue, I remember an episode of some hunting show that was filmed on Halloween and the guys wore costumes, a full clown suite and a Superman costume. They both arrowed bucks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

To me it's just a lot of people seething to find something to complain about. I used to think it was just being New Yorkers we all have attitudes, the past couple years it just seems like people need to cry about something, anything no matter how menial or inconsequential. People need to pull toss out the lace panties and get some man pants.

I see it as more like some of these stupid laws being put into place just to appease a certain group are starting to piss people off !

Wearing orange in a tree stand or ground blind is pretty lame ..

What next, having to wear an N95 mask while in the stand ? Wearing orange in your car on the way to the hunting property ?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

While I don't disagree that we're riddled in a complaint and cancel culture, this whole thing doesn't seem to have a lot of support. Sure a few guys went out and shot a doe. Sounds like some of them had dmap's anyhow. Anecdotal evidence seems most opposed just about all of these changes except the sunset and bear regulations. 

So what I think people are fussing about is yet more government overreach. Hunting is primal. We only exists because our ancestors hunted. Studies prove our brains began developing rapidly when we started to eat meat. So yes, we have seasons and rules to protect our species and protect ourselves but when does it stop? When does the micromanaging of our personal lives become so overbearing and reaching that people stop complaining and take action?

Obviously I'm dipping out of hunting with that last statement and more into the current political climate, but damn if a guy isn't at work right now wondering if he will have to get a vaccine or lose his job, hearing his kids complain about wearing masks in school, hearing rumblings about layoffs if corporate taxes increase or how he has to work another 20 hours of OT because of labor shortage oh and where can he find ammo, what gun will be illegal next year... and he thinks to himself it's ok. Deer season is around the corner and I can rest my mind in my happy place in the woods, only to be greeted by more rules he has never had to follow, but now he does. And without any real semblance of support or facts on why they were put in place. 

At some point, this man's back is broke by the straws thrown on them.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I have never had an issue with an anti hunter.  I kind of wish I would

Being 14' foot up a ladder and about to step on the platform when you look over and see the ratchet strap slashed...that will make you change your mind real quick. They found the stand because we changed out a camo strap to a neon green one and it became visible to them. These same yahoos will be causing issues for us when they see the orange. No doubt.

I am gutted by this law because of this issue on a few parcels. I get the macro safety consideration but I'm telling you, orange does create problems. Everyone thinks it is a problem free solution. It is not. Antis and competitive issues will arise bringing with it the negative experiences associated with hunting.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

I have had treestands stolen and damaged on private property.  Our property, actually.  This was not done by antihunters, everyone hunts and the property is not close to a road.  The land is posted, people still encroach.  I am hopeful that mandatory orange will decrease the number of trespassers.  By the way, we have an understanding with most of the neighbors, everyone has permission to track a wounded deer and nobody abuses the privilege.  When I used to hunt state land I have heard slugs whistle over my head.  On hilly terrain a treestand does not guarantee safety.  We always wear orange and insist that any guest hunters do also.  And also they wear a safety harness if they use one of our stands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jperch said:

I have had treestands stolen and damaged on private property.  Our property, actually.  This was not done by antihunters, everyone hunts and the property is not close to a road.  The land is posted, people still encroach.  I am hopeful that mandatory orange will decrease the number of trespassers.  By the way, we have an understanding with most of the neighbors, everyone has permission to track a wounded deer and nobody abuses the privilege.  When I used to hunt state land I have heard slugs whistle over my head.  On hilly terrain a treestand does not guarantee safety.  We always wear orange and insist that any guest hunters do also.  And also they wear a safety harness if they use one of our stands.

A couple things, trespassers are breaking the law and just like the nonsense gun laws, criminals don't care, just like they never cared about back tags.

And this law doesn't replace the fact that most of us wore orange anyhow. If you are on public land and hilly terrain, go ahead and wear orange. I would still have worn orange walking on my own private land, but now I'm told under law that I have to wear it in the tree on flat terrain. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why any hunter has an issue with wearing a bit of orange during gun season... It literally effects nothing but your safety. Hell, even with blaze orange vest and hat on I've still had people get within 30yds before actually seeing me. That's why i prefer to get in the woods by headlamp and out by headlamp. And with most of the state being rifle now it just makes more sense to me. Some of you that don't like wearing it must of never hunted state land on opening weekend... I too had a bullet whiz by me years ago while up in my climber. Someone let 3 shots off on a private field about 400 yds away when I could barely even see in the woods yet. Those bullets must of been ricocheting off of the ground and bouncing up into the state land. I heard the buzz of the bullet before I heard the shot. Point is, people do dumb stuff...

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

I've said this several times and I'll keep saying it. This law would still require a hunter in a ground blind or elevated blind to wear orange. How asinine is that? This law should not apply to hunters within enclosed blinds or >12' in the air. That's how I've always worn orange in NY, even on private land. Orange hat and vest in and out and taking it off in the stand or blind. 
I put my orange vest draped on top of the blind when I get in. How does a Dec officer know if you're going in to hunt a ground blind or not? Again... Its a damn 3oz vest, who cares? Just put it on.

12 hours ago, Grouse said:

Deer cannot see color, but they can see intensity.  A blaze orange hat or vest stands out as a brighter object than the rest of the fall background, especially at dawn and dusk.  It definitely makes movement easier for deer to see.

I do agree with this completely.  Some blaze orange items have a little more "blaze" to them than others.  Normally when I buy a new item that has serious "blaze" to it I will wash it at least 5-6 times in a heavy, hot water cycle to intentionally get some of the dye to bleed out and "tone down" the intensity, until it's basically just orange.

Last year I needed a new blaze orange ball cap for a rut hunt I was invited on up at my buddy's family camp last minute.  So I bought one and man was it bright, but it was the only option at the store.  I washed it a bunch but not enough to tone it down.

One morning during that hunt I was still-hunting an oak ridge wearing that hat.  I was moving slower than a glacier, being very careful, making no noise, just barely letting my eyes get up or around obstacles then pausing to look for several minutes.  I mean I was moving sloooooow because I knew there were deer on the ridge somewhere.

After my eyes crested one small blowdown I paused to scan the newly revealed sliver of terran and I saw tails flag and deer bounding off like 200 yards away.

There is no way in hell they heard me; I hadn't made any noise.  I suppose it's remotely possible they could've winded me but it's such a small chance.  There wasn't really any thermals that day, and they were upwind of me (I'm obsessive about checking every few steps using milkweed).  I wasn't even skylit; there were trees and terrain behind me.  They just went running off.  I didn't even get to see enough of them to see if they were / one of them was facing me, all I saw were a couple tails.

I haven't known what to make of it.  Possible they winded me.  Possible something else coincidentally spooked them right at that moment.  I think it was that stupid blaze orange hat which I haven't worn since.

Edited by ognennyy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

There's one guy who stands out among my hunting friends who has killed more deer than probably the rest of us in the group combined.  He kills more deer than anyone I know.  He's a logger who runs to the woods when he gets out of work wearing huge, clunky work boots and blue jeans, and he stinks like chain saw lube and gasoline.  He just understands how the wind works in the woods he hunts I suppose.  And probably because the blue jeans are low to the ground they're obstructed from the deers' view.  I dunno what but he's doing something right.

4 hours ago, Belo said:

While I don't disagree that we're riddled in a complaint and cancel culture, this whole thing doesn't seem to have a lot of support. Sure a few guys went out and shot a doe. Sounds like some of them had dmap's anyhow. Anecdotal evidence seems most opposed just about all of these changes except the sunset and bear regulations. 

So what I think people are fussing about is yet more government overreach. Hunting is primal. We only exists because our ancestors hunted. Studies prove our brains began developing rapidly when we started to eat meat. So yes, we have seasons and rules to protect our species and protect ourselves but when does it stop? When does the micromanaging of our personal lives become so overbearing and reaching that people stop complaining and take action?

Obviously I'm dipping out of hunting with that last statement and more into the current political climate, but damn if a guy isn't at work right now wondering if he will have to get a vaccine or lose his job, hearing his kids complain about wearing masks in school, hearing rumblings about layoffs if corporate taxes increase or how he has to work another 20 hours of OT because of labor shortage oh and where can he find ammo, what gun will be illegal next year... and he thinks to himself it's ok. Deer season is around the corner and I can rest my mind in my happy place in the woods, only to be greeted by more rules he has never had to follow, but now he does. And without any real semblance of support or facts on why they were put in place. 

At some point, this man's back is broke by the straws thrown on them.

Sounds like your advocating for crossbow, lol

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I’ve never seen a deer wearing jeans

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bottom line, if you wanna wear the orange do so, if not then don't. I'll be waiting for those who don't that actually manage to get a ticket to come on and pitch a fit because they got a fine. That's how this sort of thing usually pans out.

I'm going to go buy a few more orange hats and maybe wear one everyday. Ya'll have a wonderful day now, yahear.

17 hours ago, chrisw said:

I'm not sure why any hunter has an issue with wearing a bit of orange during gun season... It literally effects nothing but your safety. Hell, even with blaze orange vest and hat on I've still had people get within 30yds before actually seeing me. That's why i prefer to get in the woods by headlamp and out by headlamp. And with most of the state being rifle now it just makes more sense to me. Some of you that don't like wearing it must of never hunted state land on opening weekend... I too had a bullet whiz by me years ago while up in my climber. Someone let 3 shots off on a private field about 400 yds away when I could barely even see in the woods yet. Those bullets must of been ricocheting off of the ground and bouncing up into the state land. I heard the buzz of the bullet before I heard the shot. Point is, people do dumb stuff...

Anti's cut the high vis green strap to my stand. Broke two others and hit a cam with a hatchet. All because those stands became visible with the high vis. So it literally affects safety - in both directions.

Common sense laws are generally anything but common sense, which is why that term gets used. States like VA make clarity around using BO while on the ground, but not on a stand higher than 10 ft., even county specific, too. They are purpose built laws. This was a law that likely isn't going to have a statistically relevant benefit macro level. We were generally as safe or safer than states with the law and similar demographics. I get that you hunt the war zones, but that is where common sense comes in. Wear it there. If I hunted SL I'd wear orange, too. I doubt the rulebreakers will all of a sudden wear orange while they trespass, poach, etc. I wear BO the large majority of the time, but while in stand visible to anti homeowners/neighbors and a busy road (all while being legal/safe), I do not. And it proved to be the right decision for three years until we swapped straps and got careless with that thought process. Next thing I know, I'm down $500 in gear and almost fell off a ladder.

For people to be short sighted and only think that this law can only do good, I won't change your minds, but it is tunnel vision. It goes both ways.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, chrisw said:

do you have any response to the hunter harassment issue that several of us are concerned about or are you just looking at this in your own little bubble and swallowing more government koolaid?