NY’s new big game law on wearing orange

luberhill

One of hunter educations golden rules is "Be 100% Sure Of Your Target And What Lies Beyond It".  I have made that statement over, and over in hunter ed classes for years. Do I actually think that this was followed by 100% of the people I told it to?? Heck No!!  As a matter of fact, most instructors felt that if they ever mandated Blaze Orange, would that give the green light to shoot, if you don't see it?? That could conceivably be, a costly, or deadly mistake. As not all people in the woods, will be wearing Blaze Orange! Simple as that.
NYS has had one of the safest hunting records in the country for many years. I see no reason to mandate blaze orange. Especially while hunting an elevated stand. Remember??? Be sure of your target? I have always worn BO and it has not affected my hunting at all. But when you mandate something, most will assume ALL others will comply. That could actually lead to more shooting "incidents" 
Our farm property borders state land. And we have had issues with anti hunters trespassing, banging pots, yelling, and all sorts of stupid stuff. DEC gets called, and just gives them a slap on the paddy's, and tells them to leave. Only to have more come back the following weekend. I had the ultimate revenge some years ago, when they drove a nice buck right to me, and I dropped it. I kept yelling back THANK YOU!!!!

The "be sure of your target" should be common sense. Its the "what's behind your target that I worry about. As I said in a previous post, I have literally sat in my climber for an hour and never saw another hunter that was hidden on the backside of a pine tree until he moved and I saw the orange. Had a deer walked between us, I'd have shot right toward him. So in that case, I did identify my target and where my bullet may end up but had that hunter not been wearing any orange I would have no idea they were there. I can't tell you how many times I've caught movement in the brush and had it not been for blaze orange it would not have been immediately apparent it was a person, now I would never toss lead at something before knowing exactly what it was but some people do. Now throw in 15 trucks in one parking area, everyone in the same few hundred acres and you could have a problem quickly.
Do you wear a seatbelt in your car? Would you have a life jacket in your boat if it weren't mandated? Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home? Chances are you'll never need those either but it's pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. Some people on this thread act like they were just personally attacked by ANY change at all. Relying on some stranger in the woods with a rifle to properly identify you is assuming a significant amount of risk vs very little inconvenience (blaze orange), and I'd hate to get shot over refusing to put a piece of colored fabric on.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm just fine with the orange, and I only hunt private land. I also always have my red headlamp on in the dark even with a full moon incase some idiot is trespassing and shooting before light at anything. When i get in my stands i usually take the orange off. 

If i'm not mistaken i have not seen ANYTHING saying the orange has to be displayed in the new law, youth hunters it specifies has to displayed from all angles, but said nothing about it in the new reg. So theoretically you could just wear an range vest under your camo and be legal. 

2 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

I'm just fine with the orange, and I only hunt private land. I also always have my red headlamp on in the dark even with a full moon incase some idiot is trespassing and shooting before light at anything. When i get in my stands i usually take the orange off. 

If i'm not mistaken i have not seen ANYTHING saying the orange has to be displayed in the new law, youth hunters it specifies has to displayed from all angles, but said nothing about it in the new reg. So theoretically you could just wear an range vest under your camo and be legal. 

Visible from all sides or something like that is the wording.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phade said:

We're on an active farm that borders village line. 

We not only target big bucks, but we also shoot a fair number of does in season and on damage permits. We're being good stewards of the land - and that knows no boundaries. Good term by Grampy.

If you must really know - this is the spot. The stands are all in this image. And yes, on the left hand side about 200 yards from the truck is a line of 15-20 homes.

80CB2174-60B1-48DC-A48B-92328E08865F.png

Yes, it surely looks like a great spot.  Unfortunately those 15-20 homes have a stadium-like view of that field and whatever might be happening on it.  Blaze orange would no doubt make you even more visible but I think the idiots who have damaged your stands have got you pegged already and there is no avoiding them at this point.  All that you can hope for is that they somehow get caught and penalized where it gets them to end their stupid stunts.

5 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

as phade noted, it must be visible on all sides, which means that a hat brim wouldn't fly either unless you're rocking a cowboy hat. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/11/2021 at 8:29 AM, airedale said:

Law or no law I always wear some orange, better safe than sorry, and by the way I have never had any problems bagging game because of it.

Al

Had 6 doe 20 yrds from me on the ground yesterday. Orange hat, orange vest. Never noticed me lol. 

• Like 2

Requirements:

Fluorescent Orange & Fluorescent Pink Clothing Requirements

New: Any person hunting deer or bear with a firearm or a person who is accompanying someone hunting deer or bear with a firearm shall wear:

1. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or
  2. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of patterned fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink consisting of no less than fifty percent fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or
  3. a hat or cap with no less than fifty percent of the exterior consisting of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material and visible from all directions.

Requirements:

Fluorescent Orange & Fluorescent Pink Clothing Requirements

New: Any person hunting deer or bear with a firearm or a person who is accompanying someone hunting deer or bear with a firearm shall wear:
  1. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or
  2. a minimum total of two hundred fifty square inches of patterned fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink consisting of no less than fifty percent fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink worn above the waist and visible from all directions; or
  3. a hat or cap with no less than fifty percent of the exterior consisting of solid fluorescent orange or fluorescent pink material and visible from all directions.

The hat is all you need??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Law does not bother me always used at least a orange hat  when gun hunting.

Its disturbing to be on public land and have some guy in full camo  just pop out of nowhere it feels like you are the run being hunted almost ,  on private land  its a little different but on public land  definitely everybody should be using orange .

Edited by phantom