Zag/Ben Deer Season 21

Zag

Well its almost go time. Son had been loosing his mind he’s so damn excited for deer season. He’s been shooting his bow a ton and next week I’m gonna take his hoyt in to up the poundage a bit.
Today he shot the tikka 7mm-08 we picked up from @moog5050. I picked up a couple boxes of Hornaday 120gr custom lites and the recoil is so minimal and is exactly what I was looking for. So thanks to all you guys that have mentioned this caliber on other threads for a great youth gun. 
Watch out come Columbus day weekend!!

We have a few things left to do with a couple stands down at the land and this week will be putting together 2 more ladder stands for our backyard and getting them hung!

64958EE1-EE79-4B7B-91AC-B09721E45280.png

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Well we went to pick up some more broad heads and have the weight increased on his hoyt. Last yr he was about 40lbs and now they bumped him up to 55lb and he can still draw with ease. Kids shooting great groups out to 35yrds. Way ahead of where I was at 13, its crazy how big and strong he is!

I bet he holds the world record for watching the most hunting shows in September so far. He’s going insane waiting for oct!!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Congrats , you are lucky he has the bug. Feed it

Absolutely!! His baseball mentor said this to us about baseball but applies here to. Never push them, let them pull you. He’s pulling us hard with everything he does! 
He’s watching shows as we speak!

• Like 2

Well we threw up a cam down in the meadow portion of the plot. The sign is starting to pop up. Getting rubs and they are using some overhanging braches I strategically left with hope’s they turn into scrapes!! Son was so excited about this pic! 

CD5603FD-67DE-47CC-9C1B-376047B683E0.jpeg

Well were both going in the morning. Son is super freaking excited beyond belief. Even harder to believe that will be gun hunting next weekend!! I have a feeling he will be drawing blood very soon!! Year 2 here we come!

• Like 2

Just now, Zag said:

Well were both going in the morning. Son is super freaking excited beyond belief. Even harder to believe that will be gun hunting next weekend!! I have a feeling he will be drawing blood very soon!! Year 2 here we come!

good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well its here!! As I was mowing today I was thinking about all the ideas I had years ago in hopes to make our land the best it could be in preparing for my son being able to hunt. Now the youth hunt was age 14, well with the change its here tomorrow at age 13!!

All the ideas and work my dad brother and I have done for the last number of years getting ready for this moment!! Hard to believe its here and another hunting first is in the books. His long gun hunting carrier begins! 

1) plush food plot - check

2) redneck 5x6 blind over looking food plot - check

3) 7mm-08 locked, loaded and dialed in - check

Now we just need the bucks to show up!! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welp we saw a lot of deer today and could have harvested about anyone of them but he’s holding out for his first set of horns!! Spent over 9hrs in the blind in total, so I was pretty impressed he could hang that long! 
Back at it in the am!

• Like 4

Well we got skunked this morning. Headed home as he has plans with his friends later. Will be hunting all day tomorrow. Really hope he can harvest his first buck. Might have to setup by the oak trees tomorrow maybe even near @Lawdwaz tree, who knows!!

• Like 1

Well we struck out this weekend. Could have taken tons of doe early this weekend but we were holding out for horns. Last night he was taking anything but they never showed up to the food plot. Stinks for sure, I was praying to everyone imaginable to bring him a buck.

2 hours ago, Zag said:

Well we struck out this weekend. Could have taken tons of doe early this weekend but we were holding out for horns. Last night he was taking anything but they never showed up to the food plot. Stinks for sure, I was praying to everyone imaginable to bring him a buck.

Hang in there, good things come those who wait.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I’ve been behind updating this. Ben took a doe last week and id really like to help him get a darn buck. I’m letting him skip school so he has a 3 day weekend to hunt hard with me. Bucks are moving a lot in our area. I saw 5 bucks today and I didn’t even hunt. Wish him luck, nows the time to get it done!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was a tough bow season. Our back yard was only active at night. Only 2 of dozens of buck pics were in daylight. So my son was pretty discouraged as he’d passed up a bunch of small bucks waiting. We were never in the right place at the right time. 
Opening day we sat in a new setup basically on our property line. I wanted to be far away from our neighbors on one side who shoot kinda wildly. This side is much safer and were in a good spot to see each direction fairly far. Well early morning 2 doe come trotting down towards us, happening so fast they crossed our property line before he could even get ready. They proceeded to browse 35 yrds away on the other side (oh well). 
That afternoon we sat over the food plot only to see a button buck. 
This am we were skunked, he has been so discouraged he said he was about done hunting this year, yeah I felt terrible Ive been trying so hard. 
After a late breakfast at camp and a quick nap we were back in the redneck around 1:30 overlooking the food plot as it was going to rain. Around 2:30 he said deer, I took a peek thru the bino’s and confirmed it was a doe. I opened the window and he got settled on her and touched off the tikka 7–mm-08 and sent the hornady 120gr sst. Dropped her instantly. He was pretty excited afterwards!! I took video on my phone so we will always have that!!

Once we skinned her we found the bullet too!

8555A7FA-1053-4808-A548-83D94AB17252.png

AA96492F-3659-4B29-AD94-178D5BC3C90E.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1