Would like to buy my own land

luberhill

I hunt a couple small 25 acre plots that I have exclusive rights..I’d like to find my own land.

I prefer near Cayuga County. I’d also like to find a nice 2000 sf ranch in the same area .

Housing prices are wicked high so I know I will have to pay up.

Im in my 60s so I figure I may as well do it now.

Is Realtor.com my best bet ?

Id even entertain leasing but there is nothing in this area 

3 hours ago, luberhill said:

I hunt a couple small 25 acre plots that I have exclusive rights..I’d like to find my own land.

I prefer near Cayuga County. I’d also like to find a nice 2000 sf ranch in the same area .

You picked a bad time. Competition is tough. City people are buying homes and land up here like crazy and it's not uncommon to get into bidding wars in the process with homes and land selling for more than the asking price. From an investment standpoint your not going to gain buying now in NY and will end up with property that's worth less than you paid for it in a year or two. You'll be competing with alot of cash buyers too who have an edge because sellers like cash deals.

We just started dipping our feet into buying a house with a little land. The market is way up. I actually think in a year or so there may be a another crash of sorts. When all those dipsticks from downstate that bought up all the houses and land in a fever pitch to run away from the pandemic realize living in the sticks isn't what they thought it would be start selling at losses. Hold out for a while and see what happens.

There's a lot of places to look, Zillow seems to have more properties then Realtor. As Daveboone mentioned, just driving around will find more properties because a lot of people just sell themselves to save on paying realtor fees.

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

Check county tax sales, can get large parcels fairly cheap. So much down and then rest required in a time frame of 30 days or so..  each county requirements are different .

1 hour ago, luberhill said:

We have the cash but still don’t like the idea of over paying .

I can see the market leveling off but I doubt prices will ever go down , I haven’t seen that happen before

I too think prices may dip slightly over the next year or two. But......I don't see the bottom dropping out of the market either. Nothing else is going down in price. Real estate won't buck the trend. Still a good investment IMO.

• Like 1

FTR, by crash I meant the prices might get close to what happened back around 2012. I don't feel like looking it up, but wasn't the drop out over 50% when it bottomed out back then?

I have a feeling we might see something similar in the next few years. Maybe not that drastic, but possibly in the ball park.

2 hours ago, luberhill said:

We have the cash but still don’t like the idea of over paying .

I can see the market leveling off but I doubt prices will ever go down , I haven’t seen that happen before

If you look at the inflated market of 2005-2007 that was created by George Bush JR deregulating lending institutions so they could start giving 500k hedge fund secured mortgages to min wage workers, yes prices will drop drastically when the crash comes. Only in the last yr have people come out from underwater on homes they bought during that period. If money means anything to you now is not the time to buy. Thinking your going to find some sleepy upstate old timer who's going to give you the deal of a lifetime is unrealistic. Hint, everyone knows there's a mega real estate boom happening.

I cant help but get annoyed with the folks telling us to sell ...both our house and camp....due to the high demand and prices. What is so difficult to understand that to replace either we also will be having to pay much more, and likely will not end up with as much as we started?