2021 HuntingNY Crossbow Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2021 Crossbow hunting harvests here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Nov 8 sat in my notoriously good crusing spot for mornings. 6:55 have two 8 points cruising together across the field. They come right under me to 3 yards. The smaller of the two, whom was the leader, spotted me and they spooked out to 25 yards. At this point I was on them but had no shot. They calmed down and began walking, stoped him and squeezed the shot off, I can still see my arrow fletchings wack the only branch and drive bomb my arrow. The way he acted I didn’t think I really caused any type of fatal hit, white hair at hit site, clean arrow.

In the mean time I recocked my crossbow in case a doe came in, at 7:12 two doe came on the same path but turned at 15 yards and gave me a perfect shot. Hit her good and she didn’t make it back across the field. 

I recovered my doe, left the area , and went to a friends house with the arrow, he inspected it and insisted their was a gut odor although I didn’t think so. I went back at 4 pm and confirmed it was in fact a gut hit, I called many tracking dogs but had no luck. I advanced the track about 50 yards and decided with the cold temps, property lines,  I had to come back at first light. And secure permission from the next two properties which I did.

730 am we found blood after about 10 minutes and he stared to open up. We had steady blood the whole way as he entered some real thick stuff( we were on our hands and knees). After about 200 yards of blood we came upon him in his first bed dead.

He probably died sometime last night. Coyotes and birds did not get him and I salvaged most of the meat. 
That’s a wrap for me till gun season. When in doubt, back out. 

5B06F268-1908-456C-87BF-21D35D5C56D1.jpeg

79EEE929-ECDF-444C-849E-7D7A846018E0.jpeg

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 32

5E739033-6444-45E5-8212-32F85C5501B7.thumb.jpeg.9ead12187c72345b0e558b608ba0c893.jpegBig six point came out ears pinned back and stiff legged at dusk to fight a  fork horn that was bumping a doe. Took him left handed because i didnt want to risk moving too much as I was on the ground in a Rhino blind. My second buck with the crossbow. He is 16 inches wide dressed out at 155. I checked a camera and found a picture of him the day i killed him (November 8th)  just on the other end of the farm.

81B3F07D-B61B-420C-A1E0-4D32DCE29D1D.png

2AB0E090-62DC-4CA8-89BF-31FACCD33B65.jpeg

8D698827-C049-4A76-B08D-3A1C73FBA574.jpeg

1A510A66-3F3E-48CA-B8AB-2E32B02974EE.png

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
  • Like 30

11/11/2021

I did some blind grunting once it got light. He appeared a few moments later at about 55Yds. I grunted a couple of more times and he came right in. 18yd. shot and went about 20yds. and expired within sight. The Reconyx picture was taken just before I first saw him.  

RCNX0034 (2).JPG

11.11.21.JPG

11.11.21.2.JPG

IMG_0008 (3).JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

• Like 31

Met 2 hunting buddies at Dunkin at 5am. We decided we were going to hunt close and hopefully lay something down. So we went to the lease and sat 3 fairly close stands. I was on the powerline stand with my back to the powerline facing the woods. Saw a decent buck way early far down the cut. About 8:30 I had a buck over my right shoulder at 15 yds or less, never heard him. I thought it was the 4pt I had seen before so I grabbed my phone to take some pics and as he came around the tree I realized it was a 4x2 and decided I wanted to shoot so I stashed the phone grabbed the crossbow and as I did it made a noise and he trotted about 20 yds up the powerline and he walked directly away from me only offering a rear shot that I wasn't going to take. A while later I saw the 4pt and let him walk. At 10 am my hunting buddy texts that he is going to walk the stone wall and head to the trucks. He calls a short time later that he fell over a log and he is in bad shape. Takes me and my other buddy almost 2 hours to get him out of the woods. He is in agony, the whole time. Not sure if he broke his hip or dislocated it, still waiting to hear but we got him home so his wife could get him to the hospital. So we finally get back to the lease about 1 and it starts raining. My other buddy and I are deciding what to do and worried about our friend. The rain stops so we head to stands. I went to the one my buddy was sitting in. Just as I climb up it starts pouring. I'm not even settled in and a doe comes and lays down 10 yds from me and keeps looking where she came from. I notice two other deer, 1 is a spike chasing another doe all over. My buddy texts me I'm getting soaked and I say me too but I think I got a hot doe. A few minutes later I see the this deer come up the ravine to my right and I can immediately tell he is a shooter. I stand grab the cross bow and he comes up 30 yds from me but I never have a clear shot. He goes behind me and comes back down the other side even closer. I'm shaking so hard I keep telling myself to pull it together. Move the HHA to 20 yds, wait for an open lane and zipped him with a true glow titanium 4 blade. He stands there for a 2nd. Stumbles and falls even closer to me. By far my biggest archery deer and first with my Scorpyd Aculeus. The Scorpyd layed the crackdown on him! 9 pt no brows...sorry for the long story, it was thundering and lighting when dragging him out.

1113211414c.jpg

1113211412a.jpg

1113211355a.jpg

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 34

What a week it’s been, went back to same location I shot my buck and doe Monday, was watching a wide 5 point with no brows across the field when this guy walked under my stand. He was sniffing the base of my tree, I was frantically wondering how I’d get My xbow off the hook without spooking him, all the time making sure their was no other bears in tow and that he was infact big enough. He stepped out to 10 yards and I put a bolt though his shoulders, he dropped immediately so I recocked  and sent another insurance bolt on him. Haven’t shaked like that in along time. He has a broken nose wonder who he got in a fight with. Roughly 200 lbs live weight, 160 dressed. 

45946C7F-C4F9-42A9-A67B-0CFD2EB03836.jpeg

• Like 26