Steuben County Recommendations

Otto

@Steuben Jerry and @Pygmy or anyone else in that area.  My wife and I have a 2 day vacation staying at Moonshadow B and B.  We have a gift certificate to a brewery somewhere close by, not sure which one….

But looking for dinner recommendations, somewhere nice to very nice, but I don’t want to have to wear a jacket….. It’s our 30th anniversary coming up (during hunting season, so this is in advance).  Or any other thing we should do for the next 2 days that is fun and interesting.

THANKS 

Otto 

• Like 3

I'm a home body... I don't go out much . Moonys has good food ... they do all different kinds of mac and cheese variations among other things . Im not a micro brewery  kind of guy but there's alot around . Theres also the winery trails on the lakes if your into it. Corning museum of glass. If you go try to catch a glass blowing show.. Rockwell museum  is interesting if your into old west stuff . Have fun .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

I'm a home body... I don't go out much . Moonys has good food ... they do all different kinds of mac and cheese variations among other things . Im not a micro brewery  kind of guy but there's alot around . Theres also the winery trails on the lakes if your into it. Corning museum of glass. If you go try to catch a glass blowing show.. Rockwell museum  is interesting if your into old west stuff . Have fun .

• Like 1

So I see you’ll be in hamondsport , Wife and I have eaten in the waterfront a few times and it was good , right on the lake too. Lots of wineries you could do a wine tour if that’s your thing. Also in bath there’s mossy bank park , has some hiking trails . Your probably about 40 mins from Corning so theres the Corning museum of glass . Also there’s boat cruises of the lake https://www.keukawatersports.com/learn-more-about--pontoon-cruise You could also drive over the hill to Watkins glen and hike the gorge , like 25-30 min drive . 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rob-c said:

So I see you’ll be in hamondsport , Wife and I have eaten in the waterfront a few times and it was good , right on the lake too. Lots of wineries you could do a wine tour if that’s your thing. Also in bath there’s mossy bank park , has some hiking trails . Your probably about 40 mis from Corning so there the Corning museum of glass 

I caught about a one pound rock bass right in front of the Waterfront yesterday......What a slob  !!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For many years  the  very best place to eat  a  classy sit down dinner   was The Pleasant Valley Inn  on Rt 54 just south of Hammondsport.... Great food, great service,  great atmosphere... That was my place for 'special" dinners for many years...

However, it changed hands a couple of years ago and I have heard it is not as good as it used to be...

I did notice that it was not open over Labor Day weekend and thought that somewhat odd...

You might inquire of your hosts at the B&B  regarding it's present status... 

17 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

For many years  the  very best place to eat  a  classy sit down dinner   was The Pleasant Valley Inn  on Rt 54 just south of Hammondsport.... Great food, great service,  great atmosphere... That was my place for 'special" dinners for many years...

However, it changed hands a couple of years ago and I have heard it is not as good as it used to be...

I did notice that it was not open over Labor Day weekend and thought that somewhat odd...

You might inquire of your hosts at the B&B  regarding it's present status... 

Just reserved Pleasant Valley Inn for tomorrow night.  Reviews look good from what I saw.  As long as there is wine and bourbon, we should be ok. 

Playing it by ear on Three Birds which also looks good, but is 40 minutes away. 

1 minute ago, Otto said:

Just reserved Pleasant Valley Inn for tomorrow night.  Reviews look good from what I saw.  As long as there is wine and bourbon, we should be ok. 

1 minute ago, Otto said:

24 minutes ago, Otto said:

Corning would be on my list of things to do, she would probably like that too.  Thanks for the tips so far! 

Just remembered  a new restaurant on market street.  The butchers son, wife and haven’t made it yet but tons of good word of mouth reviews  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Everybody’s got it covered so far. I’ll vouch for 3 birds too. We had a couple of excellent anniversary dinners there.

We’ve actually never been to Pleasant Valley Inn, so I’ll look forward to hearing how you liked it.

you could try Louie’s Gun Shop in Bath for Ammo. 

What about Ed Hart's in Bath.........ohhhhhh never mind.

• Like 1

We went to the Park Inn last night. Ended up eating at the bar because they were full.  Great drinks and an excellent meal too.  My wife had Chicken and Waffles and she could not stop raving about it.  I had seared scallops and shrimp with garlic scape risotto, dam good.  The Executive Chef is Dan Eaton who long ago was the Celebrity Chef on Time Warner TV and he would show you how to make simple at home dishes.  I think Wegmans sponsored it.  He was in back running the show.  

Heading to the Corning Museum of Glass and then a couple of breweries and wineries.  

Beautiful part of NY, we are so blessed with this wonderful state! 

• Like 6