Steuben County Recommendations

Otto

27 minutes ago, DDT said:

Checked out their website. Have to go over the hill from camp when we are there. I'll use any excuse to drive over Mitchellsville rd. to Hammondsport.  Enjoy that drive.

I hunted the bottom of that road a few years, next to mercury aircraft in the creek bottom.  Had access to 40 acres. Got more ticks on me in there than anywhere else I ever hunted.

Well Pleasant Valley Inn was interesting.  Great food, I will say that, but service was real spotty.  We were seated at our reservation time in a back room by ourselves while the rest of the rooms had a few open tables.  Never saw anyone again for 20 minutes.  Finally I went up to the bar and asked for someone to come take our order.  They forgot about us.  Waited another 10 minutes for  a server.  Ordered drinks.  Ten more minutes.  I know this pandemic is causing all sorts of issues, but this was just a complete breakdown.  All kinds of apologies and promises throughout the evening, but two and a half hours for dinner for two, even in a fine dining restaurant, is way too long.  And with the first 40 minutes with nothing but menus in our hands.  Not a good start. 

The food however, was terrific.  Lobster bisque, mussels, veal chop and filet and crab cakes. All excellent and perfectly prepared.  Desserts were homemade and great too.  When we were leaving we saw the owners of our B&B at the bar. They told us 3 people called in, including the sous chef, and described the kitchen scene as a shitshow.  Yep, I would well imagine. 

All said, I would go back with tempered expectations re service.