ehd oswego co

land 1

The one thing I have been wondering since this started hitting NY again last year is how many farm animals this is killing. It's transmitted by midges to hoofed animals, that means horses, goats, pigs, deer, cows etc. .  The white tail deer seems to be getting hit hard, but I don't seem to be able to find any cases of farm animals getting it. No news on farmers finding any dead animals from EHD.

Are cows, pigs, and horses immune in NY?

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Yes My camp neighbor lives there and found two bucks last week dead. It doesn't sound good 

Not busting chops...but 

Your neighbor finding two dead isn't a confirmation of EHD. 

Has there been any actual confirmed cases by DEC?  

I'm just hoping it isn't EHD, and just some weird coincidence. 

Edited by mowin

The below says 750 deer died last year of EHD, so i'm guessing the actual number is double or triple that?

October 2, 2020 - Increase in EHD suspect deer mortalities

The majority of reports of EHD-suspected mortality are coming from Putnam, eastern Orange, southern Ulster, northeastern Rockland, and northwestern Westchester Counties. Total reports reflect there are approximately 750 deer mortalities in these areas.

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The below says 750 deer died last year of EHD, so i'm guessing the actual number is double or triple that?

October 2, 2020 - Increase in EHD suspect deer mortalities

The majority of reports of EHD-suspected mortality are coming from Putnam, eastern Orange, southern Ulster, northeastern Rockland, and northwestern Westchester Counties. Total reports reflect there are approximately 750 deer mortalities in these areas.

The article on DEC website estimates 1500 died last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Just found this same article on DEC website. 

So far only two deer are confirmed, with several other dead deer reported, but not confirmed.

It says 5 confirmed in Oswego as of 9/10. Maybe next week data comes out tomorrow?

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It says 5 confirmed in Oswego as of 9/10. Maybe next week data comes out tomorrow?

I'm sure it takes time to get the test results back, so most likely, the numbers are going to jump. As more hunters start to scout for the upcoming season, I'm betting the calls to DEC reporting dead deer will increase multiple times.

2 hours ago, mowin said:

Not busting chops...but 

Your neighbor finding two dead isn't a confirmation of EHD. 

Has there been any actual confirmed cases by DEC?  

I'm just hoping it isn't EHD, and just some weird coincidence. 

Idk if confirmed, but he told me EHd. And i dint argue it. Also said he knows others who found dead deer all across the area... 

• Sad 1

Edited !!

Ok thanks for the article link.

https://www.fingerlakesdailynews.com/2021/09/16/1167777/

"Sep 16, 2021 | 11:39 AM

The state Department of Environmental Conservation on Thursday confirmed Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Nassau, Oswego, Suffolk, and Ulster counties. DEC is tracking suspected cases in Albany, Jefferson, Oneida, Orange, Putnam, Rensselaer, Rockland, Sullivan, and Westchester counties and new reports of dead deer to track the spread and estimate the number of deer succumbing to this disease. To date, DEC has received reports of approximately 700 dead deer."

Well this is spreading in odd jumps. Sad to see.

Edited by Fletch
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Edited !!

Ok thanks for the article link.

https://www.fingerlakesdailynews.com/2021/09/16/1167777/

"Sep 16, 2021 | 11:39 AM

The state Department of Environmental Conservation on Thursday confirmed Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in Columbia, Dutchess, Greene, Nassau, Oswego, Suffolk, and Ulster counties. DEC is tracking suspected cases in Albany, Jefferson, Oneida, Orange, Putnam, Rensselaer, Rockland, Sullivan, and Westchester counties and new reports of dead deer to track the spread and estimate the number of deer succumbing to this disease. To date, DEC has received reports of approximately 700 dead deer."

Well this is spreading in odd jumps. Sad to see.

terrible.

The one thing I have been wondering since this started hitting NY again last year is how many farm animals this is killing. It's transmitted by midges to hoofed animals, that means horses, goats, pigs, deer, cows etc. .  The white tail deer seems to be getting hit hard, but I don't seem to be able to find any cases of farm animals getting it. No news on farmers finding any dead animals from EHD.
Are cows, pigs, and horses immune in NY?

From what I read it’s very rare in cow and sheep, but they do get it. There’s no cure against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk