Potential new world record from Kentucky.

mowin

• mowin changed the title to Potential new world record from Kentucky.

That Editors Note certainly raises some suspicions. I just don't get why people lie about that stuff. A few years back, in Illinois, a guy shot a big albino buck (illegal). The guy cut the skull plate off, and started showing it around as his monster buck, but no pictures of him with the carcass ever surfaced. 

However, that buck was well know in the Dogtown area (even nicknamed "Show Boat") and many people had pictures of him on the hoof. I don't want to call him tame, but more "photogenic" and you could drive out and see him and all kinds of other deer around Dogtown Hill when the river was up. The guy got in trouble, I don't remember what exactly. For some reason I'm thinking he was a State Trooper as well. Anyways, what is the point of taking a trophy if you can't be proud of it?

EDITOR’S NOTE: When the photos of this deer were first sent to us by the hunter, Derek Settle, our immediate gut check was: This is a high-fence deer. Before we interviewed Settle, we confirmed with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife that the buck had been checked in as being killed and tagged in Kentucky on telecheck. (High fence deer in Kentucky do not have to be checked in.) After our interview with Settle, we were confident that his story was true. However, after now reading Facebook comments and seeing photos of his deer that were posted on the page of an Indiana deer preserve, one thing is clear: Someone is not telling the truth. We are investigating this story and will update you as we learn more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

anything for your 15min.   He did include the bushnell and crossbow info.  Wonder if he got paid for that.

2 minutes ago, johnplav said:

“I took my backpack off, got a drink of Coke, and just settled in."

Haha , yep sure was a lot of product placement in that story . Too funny .. 

I can appreciate as well as anyone a good wild bred buck, legally taken. The super bred freaks to me are ugly and unnatural. Okay, so I prefer Scarlet Johansen (sic?) to Dolly Parton. 

I remember reading in one of the sporting magazines how the then #1 B/C buck hunters life was totally changed for shooting his buck (legally). Between endorsements, show fees, magazine articles etc. he became a moderatly wealthy man. There is big bucks in those deer. Unfortunately. 

• Like 1

That's the sad part of this. It used to be if you accomplished what you set out to do you were maybe given a pat on the back or perhaps someone would buy you a beer. I just nailed up some stair stringers for a small cabin. Did a great job, if I do say so myself. Could someone throw me a parade?

Assuming this guy's deer is illegitimate, how do you go about covering this up? Do you slip the high-fence operation a few bucks to not talk about it? Shoot it there and drag it to your property? Buy it live, release it and count to ten before you shoot?

Mitch Rompola for the win !

Huge news for Michigan!!! ROMPOLA buck is finally official! After the expiration of Milo Hanson’s cease and desist letter in January Mitch Rompola has resurfaced and will enter his buck with B&C reclaiming the world record once again. Congratulations Michigan. The buck grossed 220 6/8” finally netting an impressive 216 5/8”!!! #rompolabuck#worldrecordbuck #hugedeer #bigbuck#whitetaildeer #deerhunting

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Mitch Rompola for the win !

Huge news for Michigan!!! ROMPOLA buck is finally official! After the expiration of Milo Hanson’s cease and desist letter in January Mitch Rompola has resurfaced and will enter his buck with B&C reclaiming the world record once again. Congratulations Michigan. The buck grossed 220 6/8” finally netting an impressive 216 5/8”!!! #rompolabuck#worldrecordbuck #hugedeer #bigbuck#whitetaildeer #deerhunting

I never understood why Milo Hanson would get a cease and desist order against Rompola?? Especially if the Rompola buck was legit? I recall some questioning of details from this buck, but never heard anything definitive.