Potential new world record from Kentucky.

mowin

32 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

One word....Holy crap that's some buck. 

I would have probably missed that guy because I was shaking so hard!

Why in the world would a farm raised tame buck give you the shakes??  A free ranging spike buck would excite me more than that freak.

5 hours ago, Splitear said:

For anyone following this, here's the latest updates on the Derek Settle. I'm just glad it got figured out and this guy is infamous rather than famous. 

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunting/new-evidence-derek-settle-buck-story/

Well it seems just a matter of some miscommunication.   Glad he cleared it up.   lol

• Haha 4

Anyone ever think that àll the old deer head finds that are in the book were farm raised? It's a possibility...  hole in the horn jumped the fence and got hit by a train.   Not like today's high fence deer have ( raised in a fence embossed on their antlers) what happens 50 years from now when a monster head is found in  gramps attic?    Just a thought..

do you have any input fourseasons??  Is there a way of marking a pen raised deer as such permanently in the craft now?  

why do away with something that hard working people make a living from,,, never been at a farm to shoot deer or any other game , but why should it be done away with if people work hard and make a living...im guessing it dosent effect u either way

It affects all hunters negatively. First of all if you are lacking examples of the ill effects of domesticated wildlife has has had negative affect a wildlife then you have had your head in the sand. We are dealing with this almost country wild with whitetail for example. Secondly the negative perception( and rightly so) that come from these killing pens for so called “hunters” to feed their laziness is stain on every hunter and hinders our effects to persevere, protect and promote hunting and the North American model for wildlife conservation.

17 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

It affects all hunters negatively. First of all if you are lacking examples of the ill effects of domesticated wildlife has has had negative affect a wildlife then you have had your head in the sand. We are dealing with this almost country wild with whitetail for example. Secondly the negative perception( and rightly so) that come from these killing pens for so called “hunters” to feed their laziness is stain on every hunter and hinders our effects to persevere, protect and promote hunting and the North American model for wildlife conservation.

I don't know. It can't be passed off as "hunting" in my book but to me should it be banned?  We raise domesticated animals of every size and shape and kill them for food or  one industry or another. The black eye are the narcissists that feel the need to pass off a deer like this and some achievement of theirs.  

• Like 1

I don't know. It can't be passed off as "hunting" in my book but to me should it be banned?  We raise domesticated animals of every size and shape and kill them for food or  one industry or another. The black eye are the narcissists that feel the need to pass off a deer like this and some achievement of theirs.  

We either clean our own house or we will have anti and non-hunters cleaning it for us and they see that crap as hunting. Go to a SCI convention and look at the freak show that is pen killing industry and see how it’s mixed in with hunting . If we don’t insist there is very definitive distinction then why when the time comes will anyone listen to that argument and agree with us.
  • Like 1

It's a tough debate for me. I've done a pig "hunt" once years ago with 6 guys. Would I do it again? No. Was it fun? No. Was it sporting? No. I honestly felt pretty bad for those animals and debated not killing one at all. There were elk, sheep, rams, pigs, and other exotic animals. After seeing multiple animals with bloody snouts and running to a corner fence on the preserve and bashing into the fence repeatedly trying to get out it made me a bit sick. Now, I did shoot a boar, and it was delicious meat. But not worth supporting again to me. You could say "it's like going to the store and killing your own cow" but who would want to do I either? I wouldn't. I'm sure this will piss off a few people but... I find it tough to look at anyone who hunts in a fence as a true outdoorsman. Albeit, there are variables and I'm speaking generally. What about a 3,000 acre preserve? Does the size of the fence matter in the topic? As far as farmed deer, I think they're hideous mostly, a big wad of antler hanging all over the place most assuredly giving the deer a lot of neck pain. It's not for me and I'll never do it a second time. I think it's a fine line though of banning them. Yes people make a living at it and I'd hate to tell someone else they have to find a new career because I disapprove of it. I guess I just don't have the conscious for it myself.
Side note, one person that raises my blood pressure instantly on sight is Keith Warren. He is such a pompous POS and I don't know as I've ever seen him kill an animal outside of a fence. Everything he does gets to me, and I guess I see most fence hunters in that light. Too lazy to put in work, want instant gratification, want a mount to put in their office to impress people who don't know any better.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

We have such a deer farm right here in Bloomfield NY..if anyone is interested.

They run cams from me - I was kind of shocked how hard it is for them to keep tabs on those bucks. The guy is super nice.

It does amaze me how much $ people spend on those hunts. There are some either very hard working or very fortunate people in life to throw that kind of money around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phade said:

They run cams from me - I was kind of shocked how hard it is for them to keep tabs on those bucks. The guy is super nice.

It does amaze me how much $ people spend on those hunts. There are some either very hard working or very fortunate people in life to throw that kind of money around.

Exactly. Half the so called hunters that bitch about high fence I promise you I could put them in a high fence preserve with a trail cam pic and give them 2 days with any weapon they want and they wound walk out with only their pride in check.  There are no doubt some places that should not be because of size or actions.   In this day it’s not real tough to kill a deer if your any kind of hunter at all and the fact is they are not making land anymore but make people every minute. One day you will see hunting done mostly on high fence properties. Hell Ny is one of the smallest when it comes to high fence and there is a shortage of animals every single year. To each their own but high fence hunting will only continue to grow and like anything else the people that do the most work to keep it real will continue to have great success. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Exactly. Half the so called hunters that bitch about high fence I promise you I could put them in a high fence preserve with a trail cam pic and give them 2 days with any weapon they want and they wound walk out with only their pride in check.  There are no doubt some places that should not be because of size or actions.   In this day it’s not real tough to kill a deer if your any kind of hunter at all and the fact is they are not making land anymore but make people every minute. One day you will see hunting done mostly on high fence properties. Hell Ny is one of the smallest when it comes to high fence and there is a shortage of animals every single year. To each their own but high fence hunting will only continue to grow and like anything else the people that do the most work to keep it real will continue to have great success. 

I'm not saying I agree or not. I just sell shovels and pic axes to the miners.

17 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

To each their own I guess. I totally believe there is a shortage of animals as there is more and more fat lazy people in America that don’t want to put in the work.

6 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

To each their own I guess. I totally believe there is a shortage of animals as there is more and more fat lazy people in America that don’t want to put in the work.

And most of those were you and me of the past. The older people get, the less land people have and the lack of decent sized animals to take will continue to push those ranches. Hunting as I knew it when I started 45 years ago has changed 3 fold and hunting in the next 10-20-30 years will continue to change 3 fold again. 

• Like 1

So what drives these people to spend thousands upon thousands to shoot one of these freak antlered bucks inside enclosures??  Do they do it because they think it will impress others??  Would any of you here on the forum be impressed?  Should we be impressed because they have all this money to spend??  And if they have all this money aren't there still plenty of guided and unguided hunts out there for free ranging game?  Do they really think they accomplished something by shooting one of these farm raised deer?   This all makes very little sense to me.  I'd sooner take my hat off to the guy who killed the dinkiest of free ranging deer than I ever would to someone who blew $10K or more on one of these pen raised mongoloid deer.

5 minutes ago, steve863 said:

So what drives these people to spend thousands upon thousands to shoot one of these freak antlered bucks inside enclosures??  Do they do it because they think it will impress others??  Would any of you here on the forum be impressed?  Should we be impressed because they have all this money to spend??  And if they have all this money aren't there still plenty of guided and unguided hunts out there for free ranging game?  Do they really think they accomplished something by shooting one of these farm raised deer?   This all makes very little sense to me.  I'd sooner take my hat off to the guy who killed the dinkiest of free ranging deer than I ever would to someone who blew $10K or more on one of these pen raised mongoloid deer.

@Four Season Whitetail's would know better than me, but I believe it's people with crazy money who want something unique. Some wealthy guys are into exotic/rare cars, or real estate, etc. In this case, I think they want to outspend the next guy for a particular buck. Or maybe a lot of it is corporate hunts? Businesses taking clients on these hunts? They have their "meetings" at dinner, etc.