Potential new world record from Kentucky.

mowin

“ high fence “ is such a varied term . I have a friend who trained for months walking stairs and hills with a weighted backpack , for a HF hunt out West. They fenced in 10s of thousands of acres , and he walked mountains for days upon days never seeing a fence , finally getting one on his last day .

Then my one nephew when he’s in Texas on business and has a free afternoon , will drop 10k to sit in an elevated , well cabin almost and shoot a buck when it comes to a feeder. 

Don’t see why I should care with either . Both are very successful bow and gun hunters in the traditional sense as well , but they have the cake to do both if they wish .

• Like 3

Hey.....I actually think Four Seasons is a lot like many of us here.

Works hard, and the guy makes a good living doing something he loves. That in no way breaks any laws. Fills a nitch that has a demand. Even though some may not like what he does, it's an honest living!!! I'd love to be able to watch deer all day and get paid for it!!!

Kills a couple nice bucks each year on public land. Enjoys family time. Seems intelligent enough. Just like many guys I know. 

Would I go on a high fence hunt? No. But I have no issue with someone who chooses to. It does not affect me at all, unless someone like Mr. Settle tries to BS me, into thinking he did something he did not. Everyone is different! If a person wants to spend big money, to kill a farm deer, that's totally up to them! Go for it.

As for me, It's not about what I kill, but how I go about getting to that point. I truly do enjoy the preparation, planning, work, and effort, and maybe just a little skill, that I put in to kill a 100" buck! I'm good with that. I don't need a 300" deer on my wall to prove anything to myself, or anyone else. But that's just me.

So if Four Seasons does ok supplying a demand........good for him! But he won't make any $$ from me. And I suppose he's good with that too.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Nomad said:

“ high fence “ is such a varied term . I have a friend who trained for months walking stairs and hills with a weighted backpack , for a HF hunt out West. They fenced in 10s of thousands of acres , and he walked mountains for days upon days never seeing a fence , finally getting one on his last day .

Then my one nephew when he’s in Texas on business and has a free afternoon , will drop 10k to sit in an elevated , well cabin almost and shoot a buck when it comes to a feeder. 

Don’t see why I should care with either . Both are very successful bow and gun hunters in the traditional sense as well , but they have the cake to do both if they wish .

Those places in Texas are HF to keep the outside deer out, not the other way around. Theyre bigger than Grand Island lol, so does a buck taken on GI not count??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Those places in Texas are HF to keep the outside deer out, not the other way around. Theyre bigger than Grand Island lol, so does a buck taken on GI not count??

You right to a point. In Texas people can buy and release deer on their property. So it is important both ways. Keeping the great blood inside to change the gene in the herd is important. 

12 minutes ago, grampy said:

Hey.....I actually think Four Seasons is a lot like many of us here.

Works hard, and the guy makes a good living doing something he loves. That in no way breaks any laws. Fills a nitch that has a demand. Even though some may not like what he does, it's an honest living!!! I'd love to be able to watch deer all day and get paid for it!!!

Kills a couple nice bucks each year on public land. Enjoys family time. Seems intelligent enough. Just like many guys I know. 

Would I go on a high fence hunt? No. But I have no issue with someone who chooses to. It does not affect me at all, unless someone like Mr. Settle tries to BS me, into thinking he did something he did not. Everyone is different! If a person wants to spend big money, to kill a farm deer, that's totally up to them! Go for it.

As for me, It's not about what I kill, but how I go about getting to that point. I truly do enjoy the preparation, planning, work, and effort, and maybe just a little skill, that I put in to kill a 100" buck! I'm good with that. I don't need a 300" deer on my wall to prove anything to myself, or anyone else. But that's just me.

So if Four Seasons does ok supplying a demand........good for him! But he won't make any $$ from me. And I suppose he's good with that too.

Thanks for the good words. And your right. To each their own. I can also guarantee you that these so called high fence haters would not say one word if it was the killing of Doe only inside those fences. And then they try to play off the words that antlers and inches don’t rule today’s deer hunting.   I can also guarantee you that most any sportsman would give their right arm to be able to do what I do everyday. No boss for the last 21 years, make a better income than most, every day to hunt or fish or anything else I might feel like doing and spending all the time I want with family and friends.  But there will always be haters and as you see most will not step up to the plate when called out. Oh well. Just another day. 

A4DDFA16-7D8E-4E7F-BDC6-1A4F47D1FCD4.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

Who says it has to be antlers 
well you did 

I've been on this forum for a good many years now and I wish I had a dollar for each time I've heard him say that deer hunting is "all about the antlers".  I'd probably be able to go on a high fence canned hunt by now with all those dollars.  LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I've been on this forum for a good many years now and I wish I had a dollar for each time I've heard him say that deer hunting is "all about the antlers".  I'd probably be able to go on a high fence canned hunt by now with all those dollars.  LOL

Yeah. And again if you were to really pay attention you would see that this post right here once again proves the validity of those words all these years. Does this site here itself not have a contest where a person gets more points for killing antlers compared to no antlers?   I rest my case. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Thanks for the good words. And your right. To each their own. I can also guarantee you that these so called high fence haters would not say one word if it was the killing of Doe only inside those fences. And then they try to play off the words that antlers and inches don’t rule today’s deer hunting.   I can also guarantee you that most any sportsman would give their right arm to be able to do what I do everyday. No boss for the last 21 years, make a better income than most, every day to hunt or fish or anything else I might feel like doing and spending all the time I want with family and friends.  But there will always be haters and as you see most will not step up to the plate when called out. Oh well. Just another day. 

A4DDFA16-7D8E-4E7F-BDC6-1A4F47D1FCD4.png

I agree with Grampy on most of that. Don’t blame you, honest legal living even f I don’t agree.

You make a lot of “guarantees “ though. I personally would absolutely still have a problem with it even only flatheads were shot. Also you guaranteed that these high fence haters never shot any record bucks, again wrong, I’ve harvested multiple p/y and one b/c.

A free range spike is most certainly more of a “trophy” than a canned giant. Just my opinion. You are taking advantage of a market for instant gratification, good for you, just a not for everybody 

• Like 2

A 50,000 acre fenced in area definitely isn't the same hunt as a 50 acre hunt.  

Not interested in purchasing a hunt in either, but if I won a trip to the 50,000 acre preserve, I'd go in a heartbeat. If I shot a giant buck that I had to work for, I'd be pumped. Would I pass it off as free range? No. 

Realistically, the odds of a 200"+ buck walking past my stand while either hunting in Iowa or a 50,000 acre preserve is still friggin slim. 

Never shot a P&Y or B&C deer. Would I like to, absolutely. Do I care if I never do? Nope.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Waterfowler said:

I agree with Grampy on most of that. Don’t blame you, honest legal living even f I don’t agree.

You make a lot of “guarantees “ though. I personally would absolutely still have a problem with it even only flatheads were shot. Also you guaranteed that these high fence haters never shot any record bucks, again wrong, I’ve harvested multiple p/y and one b/c.

A free range spike is most certainly more of a “trophy” than a canned giant. Just my opinion. You are taking advantage of a market for instant gratification, good for you, just a not for everybody 

Exactly right. And you are entitled to your opinion but that’s where it stops. It’s nobody’s business how someone else spends their time or their money or what on. Just as it’s no bow hunters business if another hunter wants to use a crossbow on their property.. if legal of course.. but you see them all up in arms over that.                 Your free range spike theory of course is another opinion. I can shoot a spike about any givin day on multiple properties but I can say I can go into a high fence area and harvest a certain buck by going on pictures alone in the same amount of time.                    Others know the same hence the ducking of the opportunity time after time by all offered. 

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Yeah. And again if you were to really pay attention you would see that this post right here once again proves the validity of those words all these years. Does this site here itself not have a contest where a person gets more points for killing antlers compared to no antlers?   I rest my case. 

See the whole thing is it isn't about antlers it's about accomplishment.  I am never going to see a 200" where I hunt but of course I would like to take the biggest buck I can there. If it was all about antlers I would just buy them on eBay.  Any buck in the dacks is a big accomplishment to me. And we all have our own personal levels of that.  A 10" brookie in a local trout stream is an accomplishment and something I truly enjoy. It doesn't have to be a wall hanger.  I could also go on a charter trip and get a 30 lb king. But that brookie would always mean far more to me. 

A doe in my hunting spot is an accomplishment to be proud of. I don't need to go find a better spot , i like to try to meet that accomplishment where I am. I generally try to hold out for a buck 5 points or better. It's for sure not about the antlers for a five point. Lol it's about doing the best I can with what I have and the challenge that is there.  6 miles away is a place for a high fence hunt where I could go shoot a 170"+. But it's not all about antlers cause that has no appeal to me in the least. For those that enjoy that good for them. But being a hunter of "wild" game for most of my life. That seems ridiculous to me. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

See the whole thing is it isn't about antlers it's about accomplishment.  I am never going to see a 200" where I hunt but of course I would like to take the biggest buck I can there. If it was all about antlers I would just buy them on eBay.  Any buck in the dacks is a big accomplishment to me. And we all have our own personal levels of that.  A 10" brookie in a local trout stream is an accomplishment and something I truly enjoy. It doesn't have to be a wall hanger.  I could also go on a charter trip and get a 30 lb king. But that brookie would always mean far more to me. 

A doe in my hunting spot is an accomplishment to be proud of. I don't need to go find a better spot , i like to try to meet that accomplishment where I am. I generally try to hold out for a buck 5 points or better. It's for sure not about the antlers for a five point. Lol it's about doing the best I can with what I have and the challenge that is there.  6 miles away is a place for a high fence hunt where I could go shoot a 170"+. But it's not all about antlers cause that has no appeal to me in the least. For those that enjoy that good for them. But being a hunter of "wild" game for most of my life. That seems ridiculous to me. 

You generally hold out for a 5pt or better?  Hence looking for bigger antlers so it is a driven need If it was a meat thing then you would pop the first legal deer that walked out and be done with it. Nobody wakes up at 4am with the hope and dream of killing the biggest 5pt in the woods. Nobody  puts out trail cameras trying to find a 5pt buck. Every hunter wakes every morning with the hope and dream of killing the biggest beast in their woods. Many just dont have the fortitude to stick with that and accept something smaller. 

I did a hunt in Florida for hog not sure how many acres it was, I remember there was no guarantee of getting one but I did.

There was also a guy there doing a deer hunt and he did not get one.

My point is that just because it's a fence hunt doesn't guarantee you success.

And there was another member here that went to Pennsylvania for the fence hunt twice and if I remember correctly he was not successful the first time but his son was the second time

Edited by Paula

On 9/22/2021 at 2:48 PM, steve863 said:

Why in the world would a farm raised tame buck give you the shakes??  A free ranging spike buck would excite me more than that freak.

R u kidding??? I have gotten doe fever lol

didn't know he was farm raised tho, didnt read the article

Edited by squirrelwhisperer

6 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

So you seem to be the topics mouthpiece on the subject why don’t you accept the challenge givin? I will give you a free shot at the biggest buck you will ever kill in your lifetime free of charge. You enter the enclosed area for 2 full days of hunting and when you walk out of that enclosed you will be interview by someone about your last two days. And of course get some great pic’s of the biggest buck you have ever killed in your life. 

Is lunch included?

Can you just answer a couple of questions as I am dead curious. Are these deer fed and raised in a farm and then put into this high fence area to be hunted? Are they fed there as well? How much time elapses between the release and the hunt? Do I buy a specific deer before my hunt?

2 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

You generally hold out for a 5pt or better?  Hence looking for bigger antlers so it is a driven need If it was a meat thing then you would pop the first legal deer that walked out and be done with it. Nobody wakes up at 4am with the hope and dream of killing the biggest 5pt in the woods. Nobody  puts out trail cameras trying to find a 5pt buck. Every hunter wakes every morning with the hope and dream of killing the biggest beast in their woods. Many just dont have the fortitude to stick with that and accept something smaller. 

You and I will never agree on that. We've been thru it. As I've told you before you yourself don't actually get up at 4 am for antlers either. If it was for antlers why not sleep in til noon and buy them online or go out and pick them up in the pen. You go for the experience, the challenge, the accomplishment, the hunt itself, the time in the woods, the enjoyment.... If it was antlers only why don't you just shed hunt.  You don't see the forest for the trees. That's okay tell yourself it's the antlers, whatever works for you. 

I don't hunt for just the meat or the antlers those are just some of the rewards. I hunt cause I like it. You just have a hard time grasping that this is possible.  That's ok. 

If it's all about the antlers there is a high fence operation 10 minutes from my house. Why don't I just go there?  Cause it's not what i would enjoy or the reason I'm out there.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

You and I will never agree on that. We've been thru it. As I've told you before you yourself don't actually get up at 4 am for antlers either. If it was for antlers why not sleep in til noon and buy them online or go out and pick them up in the pen. You go for the experience, the challenge, the accomplishment, the hunt itself, the time in the woods, the enjoyment.... If it was antlers only why don't you just shed hunt.  You don't see the forest for the trees. That's okay tell yourself it's the antlers, whatever works for you. 

I don't hunt for just the meat or the antlers those are just some of the rewards. I hunt cause I like it. You just have a hard time grasping that this is possible.  That's ok. 

I hunt for the challenge of killing the biggest antlered buck in my woods. Thing is that I don’t settle for less. I will kill one of them or I will kill nothing. I still get the experience, I still get the challenges, I still get the time in the woods and I still get the accomplishments. I am no different then anyone else and I wake up at 4am every morning and chase those same big antlered bucks I and every other hunters works for and dreams about. I just won’t accept less. Even contest on this site gives credit for bigger bucks with more antler points. Again pushing the big antlers matter agenda. Every hunting item sold has big antlers as the bait  Hunters work their asses off and spend thousands every year trying to kill the biggest buck in their area. Most just accept defeat and settle for less. But they are still after them and thinking about them 24/7.      Fact!

D6D7B0F6-DDA3-41A5-9C0E-F56F1F8FE3B1.jpeg

B7831DDF-CBAA-480E-9AAD-99063FA124E3.jpeg

B3495DD6-8883-4AA6-B58A-A5BD7A089133.jpeg

E27781B3-0ABA-4ED2-B6DC-61D2E5D4D4FD.jpeg

4B4EF7F6-9159-4D33-BCDC-5C007EE7048C.jpeg

0302CFFB-213C-42F5-BC1D-03C9F59212CD.jpeg

78491A6D-D2A9-47E3-B2AC-B2746B996DFB.jpeg

C0C16CB0-28B2-4D36-A16C-FFED35BB01B2.jpeg

97D39E5B-7456-4370-82E8-503E61E753DA.jpeg

78FFBA47-7609-49E2-B1A2-CF8AE2941111.png

586C6C10-00C2-414B-AFE1-95FB1B6C48FB.jpeg

E29F372D-ADB0-4881-AD1B-D8876A872909.png

4899C46F-E8FC-41F5-B7B2-90A0D311ACE4.png

70FFAE92-CD2B-46E7-A3D7-B22FBBCD441A.png

8C32AC17-654C-493B-8BA3-B2BE391F9B1E.png

29D6F7AD-7586-4287-9948-C9C34312EE92.png

B60F5DD5-E82C-4EAE-B62D-7D661E22879B.png

A21A9FD8-74DF-497B-B887-776E7D7FD510.png

C218FE5E-D3FA-41D8-9ADE-03D28E58A24F.png

1E781AF8-BAED-4048-824C-D19BA9BE2164.png

A8E73973-4614-4D0D-B8B5-26B2C8F7E7B9.png

B868C6D7-7675-41D6-8FFA-731E50F0CF1D.png

Great buck pics. Just went thru all ours and our best is a 3 pt. Guess I should just not even hunt then.  Lol

See it's for the challenge, the time in the woods, the stories.  It's not for pure meat or antlers. I can buy those anytime.  But I can't buy the experience. That's what it's all about.  We all of course try for the best buck that's a no brainer. But if it meant my season was worthless cause I didn't get a monster buck I wouldn't do it. 

And I will say I def respect the hard hunt time you put in on public land it's impressive.  But you do it cause it's fun. Cause if it was just about antlers you could shoot one in the pen behind the house from the bathroom window.  Lol 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Great buck pics. Just went thru all ours and our best is a 3 pt. Guess I should just not even hunt then.  Lol

See it's for the challenge, the time in the woods, the stories.  It's not for pure meat or antlers. I can buy those anytime.  But I can't buy the experience. That's what it's all about.  We all of course try for the best buck that's a no brainer. But if it meant my season was worthless cause I didn't get a monster buck I wouldn't do it. 

And I will say I def respect the hard hunt time you put in on public land it's impressive.  But you do it cause it's fun. Cause if it was just about antlers you could shoot one in the pen behind the house from the bathroom window.  Lol 

I shoot the deer that lets me, ofcourse if 2 show up i will shoot the one with bigger antlers ;)

1 hour ago, left field said:

Is lunch included?

Can you just answer a couple of questions as I am dead curious. Are these deer fed and raised in a farm and then put into this high fence area to be hunted? Are they fed there as well? How much time elapses between the release and the hunt? Do I buy a specific deer before my hunt?

I think he had said before that he sells the sperm 

43 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

You need not explain to me, I get it 100%....

This is my point exactly! It's all about what makes hunting enjoyable to you, me, and everyone who hunts! We are all individuals, and as such, we all see and do it at our own level. We all have different goals. There is no right, wrong or indifferent!! Hold out for a huge buck. Shoot the first deer that ambles along. Or anything in between. It's really ALL good!!!!

It's ALL just hunting!!!  Do it the way YOU want, and let others do the same. No need to put one above, or below another, for doing it their way!! It doesn't matter! Just get out there and have fun. Isn't that what it's all about? If not fun, why do it?? 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

Sometimes the 5 pt is the biggest deer in the woods.  That was the case with the (3) 3.5 year old bucks that I killed on 3 consecutive years in this photo.  The 5 point (was originally a 6 but broke one off in a fight) on the lower left  had the largest chest girth at 43”.  The larger racked one above and to the right only measured 42” and weighed 182 pounds.  I am “educated guessing” the 5 pushed 200 pounds.

Of those two, I’d take the stout 5 first any day.  More tacos for the kids.   For me, it really is all about the meat.   The only reason I pass smaller racked bucks is that the larger racked ones generally have more meat.  That is not always the case though, as this example shows.  

I would get more meat from antlerless deer if I was able but the local farmers usually have most of them shot by the time I can get my crossbow or gun on them.  That forces me to be somewhat selective with my two precious buck tags in order to insure that my family has enough deer meat for the year.

2F207B10-6C96-4C6E-90A6-6981CA5ACE82.jpeg

Edited by wolc123

28 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Sometimes the 5 pt is the biggest deer in the woods.  That was the case with the (3) 3.5 year old bucks that I killed on 3 consecutive years in this photo.  The 5 point (was originally a 6 but broke one off in a fight) on the lower left  had the largest chest girth at 43”.  The larger racked one above and to the right only measured 42” and weighed 182 pounds.  I am “educated guessing” the 5 pushed 200 pounds.

Of those two, I’d take the stout 5 first any day.  More tacos for the kids.   For me, it really is all about the meat.   The only reason I pass smaller racked bucks is that the larger racked ones generally have more meat.  That is not always the case though, as this example shows.  

I would get more meat from antlerless deer if I was able but the local farmers usually have most of them shot by the time I can get my crossbow or gun on them.  That forces me to be somewhat selective with my two precious buck tags in order to insure that my family has enough deer meat for the year.

2F207B10-6C96-4C6E-90A6-6981CA5ACE82.jpeg

If a 5pt was the biggest in my woods…Doubtful biggest in yours… I would hunt different woods. Meat is not a problem. It’s the challenge one needs to match wits with the biggest and smartest on their turf.