Potential new world record from Kentucky.

mowin

Great buck pics. Just went thru all ours and our best is a 3 pt. Guess I should just not even hunt then.  Lol
See it's for the challenge, the time in the woods, the stories.  It's not for pure meat or antlers. I can buy those anytime.  But I can't buy the experience. That's what it's all about.  We all of course try for the best buck that's a no brainer. But if it meant my season was worthless cause I didn't get a monster buck I wouldn't do it. 
And I will say I def respect the hard hunt time you put in on public land it's impressive.  But you do it cause it's fun. Cause if it was just about antlers you could shoot one in the pen behind the house from the bathroom window.  Lol 

I know FSW is just protecting his quite lucrative business with his response but statements like We all just “accepted defeat and settled for less” according to FSW when not shooting larger boned deer that others deem worthy according to commercials on TV and packaging on deer feed is just silly.
I (and many others) will make meat (and experiences) as he continues to covet bone and take advantage of the other Napoleons out there that measure their worth based on inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I know FSW is just protecting his quite lucrative business with his response but statements like We all just “accepted defeat and settled for less” according to FSW when not shooting larger boned deer that others deem worthy according to commercials on TV and packaging on deer feed is just silly.
I (and many others) will make meat (and experiences) as he continues to covet bone and take advantage of the other Napoleons out there that measure their worth based on inches.

Right. But they let the little bucks walk with the hope of a larger one. It’s amazing that you never see a site bragging up 4 or 6 pointers. First those of us need the challenge of chasing a worthy adversary when it comes to Whitetails. Its not real tough to just shoot any deer and if a person claims to be just after the meat has any tags left after the first week of every season should prop take up another hobby. Second as I have told you before that I don’t have to ever protect my business when antlers drive 99.9% of the hunting world. And for the meat. My 120-130 inch bucks shot give me a whole bunch of that also. 

21 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Second as I have told you before that I don’t have to ever protect my business when antlers drive 99.9% of the hunting world.

Now I've read plenty of BS opinions on political issues on this forum from a number of folks.  As far as an opinion on a hunting related topic the above wins the prize for being the most ridiculous.  No bloody way is that even close to being the truth.

42 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Now I've read plenty of BS opinions on political issues on this forum from a number of folks.  As far as an opinion on a hunting related topic the above wins the prize for being the most ridiculous.  No bloody way is that even close to being the truth.

However, he's correct.

Do you see packaging with spike horns or does on them? No. It's all big racked bucks because that's what sells the product. Do you think these hunting shows would be so popular and lucrative if they only shot small deer and does? Of course not.  So antlers do drive the hunting world. MOST of us go hunting to relax and enjoy nature and to experience the thrill of the hunt. We also get up at crazy hrs hoping to bag that big buck. It's a fact.. we do hope to take the big buck in our area, it's what drives us to keep doing this yr after yr. But the fat doe or spike is going to be this yrs trophy for a lot of hunters, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Right. But they let the little bucks walk with the hope of a larger one. It’s amazing that you never see a site bragging up 4 or 6 pointers. First those of us need the challenge of chasing a worthy adversary when it comes to Whitetails. Its not real tough to just shoot any deer and if a person claims to be just after the meat has any tags left after the first week of every season should prop take up another hobby. Second as I have told you before that I don’t have to ever protect my business when antlers drive 99.9% of the hunting world. And for the meat. My 120-130 inch bucks shot give me a whole bunch of that also. 

Many hunters would be more than happy with a 4 or 6 point buck! Or even a doe, or button buck to put delicious venison in their freezers. I really don't feel that because one hunter decides, or has the opportunity, to kill 120" bucks, that makes them somehow "better" than the hunter who chooses to shoot a small spike. Naw.....it don't work that way. Not everyone chooses to go for the most mature buck on the property they hunt! So much more to it than that. I've seen jubilation and joy from a hunter that shot a small fork horn! And disappointment on the face of another, when they walked up on a very nice buck that had broken points. Who do you believe was more happy bringing that deer home? So much more to deer hunting than the size of a deers antlers. A hunter who believes otherwise, is missing out on what truly makes hunting so dear to so many. 

Shoot what you like. Like what you shoot.

There is no one size fits all. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mowin said:

However, he's correct.

Do you see packaging with spike horns or does on them? No. It's all big racked bucks because that's what sells the product. Do you think these hunting shows would be so popular and lucrative if they only shot small deer and does? Of course not.  So antlers do drive the hunting world. MOST of us go hunting to relax and enjoy nature and to experience the thrill of the hunt. We also get up at crazy hrs hoping to bag that big buck. It's a fact.. we do hope to take the big buck in our area, it's what drives us to keep doing this yr after yr. But the fat doe or spike is going to be this yrs trophy for a lot of hunters, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that either. 

You appear to have the same affliction as FSW, where you only see antlers in deer hunting.  I drive 4 hours to get to my hunting spot and I definitely have limited time to devote to hunting.  Any deer that walks by me and I have a tag for will get shot at.  I am happy with anything I can bag..  Thoughts of big antlered bucks are the last thing on my mind.  If one happens to walk by me first I will shoot at it, just as I would at a spike.  Most of us don't get so delusional that big antlers are the #1 reason we go out to hunt.

Edited by steve863

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Yeah again. We see all kinds of pictures of little spikes and 4 points all over the place. We don’t see every contest giving the best prizes for the biggest bucks. We don’t see awards givin for the biggest bucks. We don’t se any manufacturers for any hunting related items use that sweet little 6 inch spike as their selling point. Hell tell me we don’t see people in this very site say things like….. I was after the big 8 or 10 I had been seeing on camera but with only a week or two left I figured I better take this 6 I have seen a handful of times. Only a complete idiot could not see that antler and inches drive the Whitetail world. If you are part of that group then that’s on you. 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

For me it is 99.99 % about the meat and .01 % about the antlers. Nobody’s perfect.

19 minutes ago, steve863 said:

You appear to have the same affliction as FSW, where you only see antlers in deer hunting.  I drive 4 hours to get to my hunting spot and I definitely have limited time to devote to hunting.  Any deer that walks by me and I have a tag for will get shot at.  I am happy with anything I can bag..  Thoughts of big antlered bucks are the last thing on my mind.  If one happens to walk by me first I will shoot at it, just as I would at a spike.  Most of us don't get so delusional that big antlers are the #1 reason we go out to hunt.

See Dude that’s where your all wet. I drive the same distance when I have 1000 acres and as you see all kinds of game right behind my house. I drive because that’s where the biggest of the best of what I do live and I need the challenge to kill the best of my sport. I get the same shit you get and have for 40 years. Except I also get the better satisfaction of knowing I beat the best at on its turf.  I need to “Hunt”. Not just shoot. I can take any person any day with me and they will kill a deer if they are after any deer. Is that real tough?  Is that really hunting or is that just shooting?  I mean come on. It don’t take much fortitude to kill just any deer and some of us that have killed 100’s need a little more. And those hunters get everything you get and more.  There are different hunters as in those that find a quarry and Hunt it or the weekend warriors or the guy that shoots the first deer he see’s. So be it. BUT. I can guarantee that every most of those hunters hope pray and want to kill the biggest buck in their woods. Many just don’t have what it takes to finish the job. Antlers and big bucks,bulls what have you have driven the hunting world for years. And nothing is going to change. 

5 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

See Dude that’s where your all wet. I drive the same distance when I have 1000 acres and as you see all kinds of game right behind my house. I drive because that’s where the biggest of the best of what I do live and I need the challenge to kill the best of my sport. I get the same shit you get and have for 40 years. Except I also get the better satisfaction of knowing I beat the best at on its turf.  I need to “Hunt”. Not just shoot. I can take any person any day with me and they will kill a deer if they are after any deer. Is that real tough?  Is that really hunting or is that just shooting?  I mean come on. It don’t take much fortitude to kill just any deer and some of us that have killed 100’s need a little more. And those hunters get everything you get and more.  There are different hunters as in those that find a quarry and Hunt it or the weekend warriors or the guy that shoots the first deer he see’s. So be it. BUT. I can guarantee that every most of those hunters hope pray and want to kill the biggest buck in their woods. Many just don’t have what it takes to finish the job. Antlers and big bucks,bulls what have you have driven the hunting world for years. And nothing is going to change. 

You've got one hell of an ego, at least I can give you credit for that. 

• Like 1

Anyone take any final bits of bone out for tailgating this weekend for some venison cheesesteak and some venison jalapeño cheddar sausage?

176eb9ee329fcbac6af8da0cadabb5fd.jpg

Well to be honest, BONE-in steaks are always the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, left field said:

Four stages of an angler:

1. I want to catch a fish.
  2. I want to catch a lot of fish.
  3. I want to catch a big fish.
  4. I just want to go fishing.

Seems to apply to many here.

Exactly. It’s called growth. So grow and challenge themselves and others spend the least amount of time and the fastest way to get the job done. To each their own                

Are we saying that a hunter who has meat in the freezer from last years harvest should not decide to go "head hunting" this year?

This is exactly my case this year. I wont kill an animal I am not going to eat. I don't need to feed the neighborhood either. 

Being as I am still working on the deer taken last year I would like something for the wall this year. Personally, I would like to take something bigger than what is already up there, but who knows. I have "head hunted" on more than one occasion and have spent entire seasons without a harvest. That's because I didn't see something I wanted to take home, and believe me its not because they aren't here. 

Last year I was "meat hunting" and waited for big bodied deer, I took two FAT doe and a, what some would call a so-so buck. I was very happy. in fact, when I saw the size of the big girl, I swear I got the shakes as she walked to within 10 yards. I was actually concerned she was too close for me to draw my bow. Imagine, a seasoned hunter getting doe fever!

My point here is that if you want to wait for a monster, do it. If you want to kill anything that walks by, do it. I only suggest that you should not be disappointed in an animal that you just took its life. Be thankful and glad and don't kill what you aren't gonna eat. Personally, I think doe taste better anyway.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Are we saying that a hunter who has meat in the freezer from last years harvest should not decide to go "head hunting" this year?

This is exactly my case this year. I wont kill an animal I am not going to eat. I don't need to feed the neighborhood either. 

Being as I am still working on the deer taken last year I would like something for the wall this year. Personally, I would like to take something bigger than what is already up there, but who knows. I have "head hunted" on more than one occasion and have spent entire seasons without a harvest. That's because I didn't see something I wanted to take home, and believe me its not because they aren't here. 

Last year I was "meat hunting" and waited for big bodied deer, I took two FAT doe and a, what some would call a so-so buck. I was very happy. in fact, when I saw the size of the big girl, I swear I got the shakes as she walked to within 10 yards. I was actually concerned she was too close for me to draw my bow. Imagine, a seasoned hunter getting doe fever!

My point here is that if you want to wait for a monster, do it. If you want to kill anything that walks by, do it. I only suggest that you should not be disappointed in an animal that you just took its life. Be thankful and glad and don't kill what you aren't gonna eat. Personally, I think doe taste better anyway.

I get this too! I passed up some pretty decent bucks last year, holding out for one of two monster bucks we had on the property. One was killed by a neighbor during bow season. I gave it my best shot, and came up short, I still held my tag at seasons end. But.....it was one of the best seasons I've had in some time! And I'm going after a huge Pine Bush deer this year. I do get where FS says he has a need to challenge himself. I feel that too at this point of my hunting. I just don't get the satisfaction I want when I shoot a year old buck anymore. But that's just me! In no way would I EVER look down on a hunter who shoots a button buck! Or feel like I'm better than the any other hunter, based on my own personal goals. I've shot more than my share of young deer over 50 years too! And would never say never, about shooting another one. Like I've said, everyone gets to make their own choice how they want to fill their own tags. It's ALL good! 

"Shoot what you like. Like what you shoot"

Hmmmm....where have I heard that before? ......:derisive:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

I never said anything about being delusional. 

All I is FS is correct. Hunting IS driven by antlers for MOST people.

I can assure you, I've never shot a P&Y or B&C deer. Do I hope to someday? Absolutely. If you can't admit that you would like to also, then your the delusional one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Many hunters would be more than happy with a 4 or 6 point buck! Or even a doe, or button buck to put delicious venison in their freezers. I really don't feel that because one hunter decides, or has the opportunity, to kill 120" bucks, that makes them somehow "better" than the hunter who chooses to shoot a small spike. Naw.....it don't work that way. Not everyone chooses to go for the most mature buck on the property they hunt! So much more to it than that. I've seen jubilation and joy from a hunter that shot a small fork horn! And disappointment on the face of another, when they walked up on a very nice buck that had broken points. Who do you believe was more happy bringing that deer home? So much more to deer hunting than the size of a deers antlers. A hunter who believes otherwise, is missing out on what truly makes hunting so dear to so many. 

Shoot what you like. Like what you shoot.

There is no one size fits all. 

Your correct, most would be happy with any buck. As I am. But I also go into the woods, as most hunters do, with the hope of getting that big buck. 

Same as you did last yr in the pine bush. You know there are monsters in there, and your hopeful to put your tag on one this season. 

11 minutes ago, mowin said:

I can assure you, I've never shot a P&Y or B&C deer. Do I hope to someday? Absolutely. If you can't admit that you would like to also, then your the delusional one.

You guys obviously have trouble believing it but I could give a rats butt about ever killing a buck to get my name in any book.  That has absolutely no relevance to why I choose to go afield.  Like anyone other than someone else who is obsessed with such things will give two $hits about seeing my name or yours in a trophy hunting record book. So go ahead and think of me as being delusional if you want.  LOL

Just now, steve863 said:

You guys obviously have trouble believing it but I could give a rats butt about ever killing a buck to get my name in any book.  That has absolutely no relevance to why I choose to go afield.  Like anyone other than someone else who is obsessed with such things will give two $hits about seeing my name or yours in a trophy hunting record book. So go ahead and think of me as being delusional if you want.  LOL

I didn't say anything about getting your name in the book... 

Can you just admit that you would be more than happy to take a big whitetail?