There are no exceptions to SAFETY.

suburbanfarmer

Back on August 3rd, I was up around 12ft high and I chose not wear my safety harness cause it would take longer to put it on than the task at hand.

Long story short, this was the time i needed that harness. I fell and broke 3 ribs and a near compound mid shaft humerus fracture in my left arm. 6 weeks in and the union of the fracture is delayed but doctor is confident that i wont need surgery. But I sure wont be lifting any weights or PT till Dec from that left arm. Ribs still hurt if I cough or sneeze. 

So why am i posting this? Learn from mistake and this coming season plz wear your harness as there are no exceptions to safety.  One mistake leads to a lot of pain, frustration and most of all becoming dependent on others for a simple task to put your clothes on or tie shoe laces.

Be safe out there and Best of Luck to you All.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Hope you heal up well and it is always good to post these things. It takes just a little mishap and you can go flying. I fell off my scaffolding a few weeks ago,about 10' up and was super lucky on the landing. Just bruised up ribs and and leg but it could have been so much worse.

There really is no way to wear a safety harness at work,but in the woods I am safe because as soon as I leave the ground I am tied to the tree. A big plus of saddle hunting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daveboone said:

!! I hope for  speedy recovery! I went to ladder stands years ago for increased safety, but still...regardless of height, I need to use a safety harness more. It only takes a fall of a few feet for a serious injury.

Guy a few houses away fell from a ladder just a few rungs up , he ended up loosing a foot .

• Sad 2

You were actually lucky to not have even more serious injuries! I really hope you heal up soon and completely. Thanks for sharing, and reminding us of what can, and does happen!

SAFETY!! Wear that harness and strap in! Do it for your family. Do it for yourself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, suburbanfarmer said:

This is what is scaring me the most, what if the fracture doesn't heal by itself..

My intention was to,show things can happen not to far up . I’m sure you’ll heal fine , his was some complicated break and treatments . 

Best of luck .

• Like 1

First, I am glad you are okay friend and second thank you for the reminder. No deer should be more important that our life. 

My friend is the hospital right now because last week he fell 20ft. He has broken leg, broken rib and he puncture his lungs. I am grateful he survived. The other day I spoke to him over the phone and he sounded depressed. I am pretty sure his deer season is over this year and his accident will change his hunting career forever. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Back on August 3rd, I was up around 12ft high and I chose not wear my safety harness cause it would take longer to put it on than the task at hand.

Long story short, this was the time i needed that harness. I fell and broke 3 ribs and a near compound mid shaft humerus fracture in my left arm. 6 weeks in and the union of the fracture is delayed but doctor is confident that i wont need surgery. But I sure wont be lifting any weights or PT till Dec from that left arm. Ribs still hurt if I cough or sneeze. 

So why am i posting this? Learn from mistake and this coming season plz wear your harness as there are no exceptions to safety.  One mistake leads to a lot of pain, frustration and most of all becoming dependent on others for a simple task to put your clothes on or tie shoe laces.

Be safe out there and Best of Luck to you All.

Sorry to hear about your accident. If you don't mind me asking what happened to make you fall. Wondering if it was a ladder stand collapse or otherwise. After reading this and being the large mammal that I am it got me thinking it might be time to rethink some of my stand setups..thanks and hope the bone separation comes together soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Sorry to hear about your accident. If you don't mind me asking what happened to make you fall. Wondering if it was a ladder stand collapse or otherwise. After reading this and being the large mammal that I am it got me thinking it might be time to rethink some of my stand setups..thanks and hope the bone separation comes together soon.

It was not related to a hunting or ladder stand at all. 

The ladder i was on slid side ways and as a result I landed on my left side, where the elbow hit the ground first. Crazy thing I still had my PPD and helmet on. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

First, I am glad you are okay friend and second thank you for the reminder. No deer should be more important that our life. 

My friend is the hospital right now because last week he fell 20ft. He has broken leg, broken rib and he puncture his lungs. I am grateful he survived. The other day I spoke to him over the phone and he sounded depressed. I am pretty sure his deer season is over this year and his accident will change his hunting career forever. 

I can relate to your friends depression. It will be first time in 2 decades I will be missing the opening days.