There are no exceptions to SAFETY.

suburbanfarmer

18 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

In 6th grade shop class a kid in my class cut his finger on a scroll saw the first week of school in september. he got stitches and wasn't allowed to use any saws for the remainder of the calendar year. after xmas break we came back in january and in the first week he cut his finger on a band saw and had to get stitches again and wasn't allowed to use any saw the rest of the year. 

We had some dip shit in shop class turn the belt sander on and after it got to full speed he punched the belt to see what would happen. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back up for those going out for the first time for the crossbow weekend.

3 months in and delayed healing. 6 more weeks needed to see if the body will do what is needed. If healing is stopped and they feel the callous is no longer forming than under the knife :( and the clock resets.

So please all be careful, wear harness and tie in.

• 4 weeks later...

Almost 4 month update.

The ribs have healed up but the humerus is still suffering from a delayed union. Still not 100% clear if eventually surgery will be needed to pin/plate the arm. Thats tbd after Christmas.

Anyways have the greenlight to start PT for elbow and shoulder movements. Will be out using the caldwell fieldpod anytime my son or a friend are going out now. Sadly still need someone to help with gut and drag as left hand/arm has zero strength.

• Like 1

I went on a bow hunt in Illinois in 2009.  Requirement to hunt was you must have and wear a harness.  I found that after wearing it all week it really wasn't a problem to put it on nor was it uncomfortable. SO when I got back I bought one for my son who was turning 17 and we always wear one now everytime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well guys n gals, went under the knife today. Back home now and in the sling again.

Hoping to close this chapter but also hoping that you learn from my mistake. Wear a harness plz..a few seconds of carelessness and result was months of pain, agony and depression. A long journey ahead.

Estimated 6 months of PT & rehab to get full function back and longer to get the strength same as pre accident.

Thank you all for the support, wishes,  listening and allowing me share.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i can see myself going to all 9ft stands in the next few years.  I have a few like that and if you tuck them in they seem just as effective.  

Glad you are on the mend.  Hell of a road to get there. 

All of mine are less than 9 ft up now, and all but one have safety rails.  It’s about time to remove and reattach my last little 8 ft high, “rail-less” hang-on, that I only use on opening day of gun season.  If I leave them on a tree for too many years, they grow into them.

I think I will drop that one down to 6 ft, trim some shooting lanes around it, and add a safety rail. I was very reluctant to change anything on it, after scoring from it on three consecutive opening days of gun season.  There was no shot for me from it last year.  I saw 5 deer that morning, well in range, but I could not get a clear sho at any of them.  

Lower is safer, with or without a safety harness or rail. The accidents seems to happen, more often than not, on the climb and descent.  I lost a neighbor last year, who fell and split his skull, while working on his 12 ft high stand.  He might still be with us, if that had been a 6 footer.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

All of mine are less than 9 ft up now, and all but one have safety rails.  It’s about time to remove and reattach my last little 8 ft high, “rail-less” hang-on, that I only use on opening day of gun season.  If I leave them on a tree for too many years, they grow into them.

I think I will drop that one down to 6 ft, trim some shooting lanes around it, and add a safety rail. I was very reluctant to change anything on it, after scoring from it on three consecutive opening days of gun season.  There was no shot for me from it last year.  I saw 5 deer that morning, well in range, but I could not get a clear sho at any of them.  

Lower is safer, with or without a safety harness or rail. The accidents seems to happen, more often than not, on the climb and descent.  I lost a neighbor last year, who fell and split his skull, while working on his 12 ft high stand.  He might still be with us, if that had been a 6 footer.  

I wouldnt be able to go lower than that as the brush where i hunt is just crazy.  Most of it with a ground blind would be unhuntable.  But out of 10 stands we have 4 that are 17ft now.  The rest are all 9ft. and all of them have the rail which i like to set my bow on.  

On 2/11/2022 at 1:04 PM, Robhuntandfish said:

I wouldnt be able to go lower than that as the brush where i hunt is just crazy.  Most of it with a ground blind would be unhuntable.  But out of 10 stands we have 4 that are 17ft now.  The rest are all 9ft. and all of them have the rail which i like to set my bow on.  

This one that I want to lower, is in a tree that I picked using google-maps, to be slightly over 500 feet from the closest mobile home, in a nearby trailer park.  There is a swamp between it and the trailer park, and the deer like to travel the edge, which is about 40 yards from the stand.  My parents woods are L-shaped, and the stand is also about 40 yards from the inside corner of the “L”.  You can see one of the neighbor's posted signs, on the corner he owns, in the photo.

I really don’t want to brush it in or make a big barnwood wall around it, like I have on most of my others.  I think that might cause the deer to alter their patterns.  The little hang/on is rather inconspicuous there, and I only hunt it once a year.  

This summer, I think I will just cut a few shooting lanes to the swamp edge, lower it to 6 ft, and use a shorter ladder.  I don’t mind changing things a little there now, since I didn’t score from it last year.  If nothing else, I will be a lot more comfortable, hunting 6 ft above the ground, than it was at 9 ft.

It should also be easier to shoot deer down a trimmed lane, at a lower angle, than it was to try and shoot from higher up, thru and around branches, as I had to do the previous 3 seasons.  

I have lots of other chainsaw work to do in those woods this summer anyhow, as several cherry trees fell during big wind storms this winter.  I am sick of burning almost all ash, for the last 10 or so years, and I want that cherry real bad.  The stand is on a maple.

0933F764-E4B1-4AFE-B8C3-98261AAC836C.thumb.jpeg.a37e074c7a4cee470424ab26290fb172.jpeg

Feel better. Let time and PT mend you. I've had a nerve issue since June of last year. Kept me out of work and doing the things that keep me in shape like running and working out. Just this week I was ok'd to jog. Its been a long road but you will get there. There was a time I thought I would never jog again. That changed with healing. You will get there!

• Thanks 1

Wow. First time I saw this. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you after the surgery. Ladders are the most dangerous tool in the house. 
I had a fall of my own back in October. A rope broke that I was pulling to open a valve while I was loading a truck. I fell backwards from about 12’ up onto concrete. Multiple rib fractures, spine fracture, 2 herniated discs, and a hell of a concussion. Out cold for who knows how long and a free helicopter ride too. I was very lucky considering, and so were you. Don’t ever take anything for granted. 
It will be a long road with PT, but just be grateful for what you have. It could have been much worse. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Sad 1

I've been pondering this for some time now going on 66. I'm still able bodied but seem less willing to get injured now, brains comes with age I guess. Thinking of reducing my ladder stands down to a safer height, maybe 9 feet and getting creative with additional brushing in. Also looking at possibly going the total ground blind route. 

• Like 2