Advice on how to hunt from Fred Bear

Grouse

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I agree with most ,but no game is worth me getting wet.

I pulled my hood up one day when a monsoon rolled through and sat it out , my thought process was anyone who sits in this crap will be awarded with a successful hunt from the hunting gods. I went back in that evening empty handed and soaking wet LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fred's style of hunting was a far cry from what techniques are being used today. He had many hunts that aired on the old ABC American Sportsman TV series and he was not sitting up in a tree, tripod stand or in a ground blind overlooking a pile of corn or a field planted with Deer food as what is shown as hunting on the outdoor channels these days. He was mostly a still hunter-spot and stalk and one of the reasons he liked hunting in the rain, It helps cover noise and scent. 

I do not like getting wet myself but I have had pretty fair luck hunting in rain and have got shooting close to Deer many times sneaking around in it. Get a good set of rain gear and or wear wool and you will be surprised how much rain you can tolerate.

Al

• Like 2

Fres bear was awsome . Loved watching the short movies . Had a principal  in grade school that showed alot of nature movies like salmon spawning and Fred Bear archery clips . Loved the pheasant hunting with a recurve  and the bear hunt where he is hiding behind the Boulder.

Always wished they would make a collection. Of his movies on tape or DVD. 

Marty Stauffer wild America wa one my kids grew up watching .

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, airedale said:

Fred's style of hunting was a far cry from what techniques are being used today. He had many hunts that aired on the old ABC American Sportsman TV series and he was not sitting up in a tree, tripod stand or in a ground blind overlooking a pile of corn or a field planted with Deer food as what is shown as hunting on the outdoor channels these days. He was mostly a still hunter-spot and stalk and one of the reasons he liked hunting in the rain, It helps cover noise and scent. 

I do not like getting wet myself but I have had pretty fair luck hunting in rain and have got shooting close to Deer many times sneaking around in it. Get a good set of rain gear and or wear wool and you will be surprised how much rain you can tolerate.

Al

You can watch them on youtube. I watched a few that were ok.

I started out hunting diving ducks in Raritan Bay.  It rained on us a lot and we always stayed out there if the water wasn't too rough, because that is when the ducks flew a lot.

When I started hunting, I just figured all game animals move more during the rain.  I've killed many deer in rainy weather and find I can get a lot closer to them.  I don't sit in a stand in the rain though.

I'm pretty sure Fred was still alive when Bear archery was making compound bows.  Fred was an instinctive shooter who learned how to shoot a bow like native Americans did, so the compound didn't feel right to him, but I'm sure he saw the advantages in them..

22 hours ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Fred would scoffed at today's modern compound bows

Fred had a pretty decent line of compound bows that he marketed and built. So I am sure that if he were still alive and functioning today, he would be competitive with the best of them. Yes, and he likely would have been selling a line of crossbows too. But I am sure that his favorite hunting weapon would have been his recurve.

• Like 1