Hunting the Alcove

GreeneHunter

Well the Alcove is a Reservoir that feeds Albany ! And naturally there is No Hunting allowed anywhere near the water . This year the Albany Water Board decided they need to " Cull the Herd " around the Alcove due to the amount of Deer eating too much Vegetation around it . It was announced about one month ago and you had to sign up to be selected . You had to be a Resident of either Westerlo or Coeymans and if they had more that 100 hunters apply then it would go to a lottery . Well lo and behold I made it and now I have to attend a short session on the If's and But's and get my Permit .... they want only Does taken ! Which is fine by me , an extra area to hunt with a Doe Tag is great !

• Like 14

Let us know how many slammer bucks you have to let pass, before you take a flathead! 

I'm very familiar with that area, it's loaded with deer.

I know another member here who applied, but didn't draw in the lottery.

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

I saw the notice when I got my tags at the Ravena town clerk. I thought about it for a minute and passed. I think they did this last season as well, but didn't advertise it as much.

If they would allow us to fish it I might do a somersault though. I'd even be willing to pay a reasonable amount to be able to fish it.

Good luck over there, hoping you fill a tag or two.

Here's the results of the Informational Mtg. .... They provide a DMAP for the Alcove area which must be used for a Doe only and a Tag for your windshield allowing you to park and hunt there , where there is a Kiosk at the parking areas you need to sign in and out . Where there is no Kiosk you need to call the Reservoir Guard and let him know you are there . They want to know whom is there at any given time . Wearing bright orange is a must and cannot be just a hat ! After you have filled your DMAP Tag you can continue to hunt the Alcove property using your own Tags but the DMAP Tag must be filled first ! They follow all the Regular Seasons and Crossbow's are allowed !

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Here's the results of the Informational Mtg. .... They provide a DMAP for the Alcove area which must be used for a Doe only and a Tag for your windshield allowing you to park and hunt there , where there is a Kiosk at the parking areas you need to sign in and out . Where there is no Kiosk you need to call the Reservoir Guard and let him know you are there . They want to know whom is there at any given time . Wearing bright orange is a must and cannot be just a hat ! After you have filled your DMAP Tag you can continue to hunt the Alcove property using your own Tags but the DMAP Tag must be filled first ! They follow all the Regular Seasons and Crossbow's are allowed !

Holy crap dude, I'm jealous

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Yeah .... I was surprised at the fact we can continue to hunt after filling the DMAP ! Now I have to find time to hunt my own property in Greene Cty. !

Yeah man.  I know if it was me, I'd right now be investing in a mobile setup + stealth strips.  I'd probably hunt down there (5 minutes from my house) almost exclusively during bow, then head to the farm for gun season.  No way I want to be on public for gun season.  Did they tell you if you could scout or not?  If you need help dragging or tracking, I'm close by!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

Wow! After filling the DMAP you can hunt one of those giant bucks that roam that area?? I too am jealous!! 

Can't begin to tell how many slammer bucks I've seen around there over my lifetime!

Best of luck to ya! I'm a little farther away than Paul, but willing to help, if needed for blood tracking too. 

The locals have been hunting and fishing there for years I grew up In the area.. never called it bye its name we always called it mystery lake....I personally have never hunted there but in my younger years we did alot of night fishing there and can tell u this its loaded with deer and Bobcats . They need to open it up for fishing they would make some money selling permits

Edited by silent death