Pulsar Thermion Scope Comparison

In my quest to aquire better thermal optics to aid in my night time hunting, I decided to jump on a really good deal for a Pulsar XG50 rifle scope.

Since selling my Halo scope years ago, I've been looking at getting another BAE sensor scope, but couldn't afford one.

My XP38 scope has a great image and wide FOV(field of view), but I've been looking at upping the base magnification for more precise shots, since I've been hunting in areas that offer longer shots. 

The XG50 has a 3x base mag, twice the base mag of the XP38, but half the FOV.

I was worried about the smaller FOV of the XG, but after looking through the XG for the last couple of hours, I was worried for nothing and the 3x base mag is growing on me.

With a 3x base mag, the XG has a 384 res image at 6x.

With the 1.5x base mag of the XP38, it's 384 res at 3x.

The clarity of the XG is awesome and while the XP38 image looks good , the XG does edge it out, especially at longer distances.

I linked videos of both scopes focused on a neighbors jeep at 100 yards.

All scope settings the same.

Recorded image doesn't do the XG or XP image your viewing while behind the scopes justice.

I  had to add that about a half hour after these videos were taken, it started pouring rain.

Humidity degrades a thermal image and I think both of these scopes performed well considering.

Enjoy.

XP38

XG50

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You made a good choice with the super hog.

Great price, full of good features and field proven.

The Gen 2 XP50 is an awesome scope and as good as the super hog or yoter is, I prefer pulsar optics.

Good luck to you also and I look forward to seeing some hunting videos from you this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had some funds saved up to get into a thermal scope this year.. I was planning on buying the super hogster or maybe the xp38. But instead, I took the money and got my wife something nice.. Its saddening lol  I want that thermal scope lol. Now shes jobless and funds are tight so it will be next year now..    dang!