Fat?

virgil

I'm planning to make venison sausage this year and want to cut in some pork fat.  In the past, i've had a hard time finding pork fat.  Was hoping to find fatback, but no luck. My local butcher only had pork trimming, which cost as much as pork chops.   What do you all use and where do you buy it?

3 minutes ago, virgil said:

I'm planning to make venison sausage this year and want to cut in some pork fat.  In the past, i've had a hard time finding pork fat.  Was hoping to find fatback, but no luck. My local butcher only had pork trimming, which cost as much as pork chops.   What do you all use and where do you buy it?

I buy whole pork butts  from the grocery store and cut pieces myself. I mix in a little bacon as well on occasion. 

• Like 2

Lots of people raising pigs around here. The trouble with that is usually you buy half or a whole pig. I have some friends that usually get half a pig or so and they have no use for the fat. I could probably get you some.  

Other than that hit up a farmers market in the area and see if someone sells pork. I got a pork butt last year from an Amish fella for a good price.

Your on Long Island?Did you try meat farms I know the one on 112 in patchogue has it all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i use ground pork for the sausage and mix it 60/40 Venison/pork and then for burgers use 3lb of ground bacon ends and pieces to 10lb of ground venison. 

and i was concerned by the Title of this thread that it was poll and i was gonna have to answer "yes" ....

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, virgil said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  Yes, i'm on Long Island- i'll try Meat Farms- that one is right near me.  I guess i could buy pork belly in bulk from Costco also.

Mike, that sounds great.

We get pork butt from Costco and it's a good deal considering already de-boned and trimmed.  Keep in mind... they actually trim them up pretty good and remove a lot of the outside fat. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i use ground pork for the sausage and mix it 60/40 Venison/pork and then for burgers use 3lb of ground bacon ends and pieces to 10lb of ground venison. 

and i was concerned by the Title of this thread that it was poll and i was gonna have to answer "yes" ....

I thought it was about one of my old old girlfriends...Sure do miss her....<< SIGH >>.....

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Otto said:

You seem to miss all your old girlfriends!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I sure do  !!!....  Even old Freda Ferndip.....She had buck teeth so big she could sit in the kitchen and eat an ear of corn in the living room....!!....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I  buy the fattiest  ground beef I can find,  usually  70%  lean... I grind about 1 part ground beef to 2 or 3 parts venison...

Gives it enough fat to make a patty and tastes like hamburger to me...I use pork butt  for sausage,  and GB for burger...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nytracker said:

Whole pork butts  cut it all into chunks fat an all ,removing bone of course . I mix 50/50  pork butt to venison.  Still probably comes about 85 % lean .

I buy a case of pork butt from sams or Wegmans who ever is cheaper. What I don't use during deer season gets smoked in the summer. 

Same here. Pork butt works perfectly. 

15 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

That's what I do and it tastes great. It's the only way I can get my kids to eat the burger and sausage.  

18 hours ago, virgil said:

we raise our own pigs, I save bags of fat from them and from out beef. If you're ever near Binghamton ill give you a bag. The next best option i've found is find uncured pork belly. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

I never put fat in with ground venison because it limits the time you can keep it in the freezer.  Pork don’t keep well. To make venison burgers on the grill hold together, I mix in a raw egg and form the patties the day before grilling.   That lets then set up and hold together pretty good after overnight in the fridge.

We don’t do a lot of burgers though, using most of the grind for stuff like tacos, in spaghetti meat sauce, stuffed cabbage & peppers, goulash, etc..   In any of that, vacuum sealed straight venison that has been in the freezer 4 years tastes almost the same as some killed 2 weeks ago.  That would not be the case, if it was mixed with pork fat.  Fat is mostly oil that does not freeze.

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I never put fat in with ground venison because it limits the time you can keep it in the freezer.  Pork don’t keep well. To make venison burgers on the grill hold together, I mix in a raw egg and form the patties the day before grilling.   That lets then set up and hold together pretty good after overnight in the fridge.

We don’t do a lot of burgers though, using most of the grind for stuff like tacos, in spaghetti meat sauce, stuffed cabbage & peppers, goulash, etc..   In any of that, vacuum sealed straight venison that has been in the freezer 4 years tastes almost the same as some killed 2 weeks ago.  That would not be the case, if it was mixed with pork fat.  Fat is mostly oil that does not freeze.

I agree with you on the burger, I don't add anything to it, but you can't have venison sausage without mixing in some pork. Your correct that pork goes sour in the freezer over time. I usually make enough venison sausage to last 4-6 months. When thats gone, I'll make more as long as I've got some chunks left. 

I did an experiment a year or two ago. I made little mini meatloafs both were 80/20 venison to pork but one was pork fat cut from a pork butt and the other was bacon. The bacon was better hands down. Gonna do another experiment this season. I bought a fatty brisket over the summer and cut some of the extra fat off and froze it to see if I like that even better than bacon. We shall see

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk