Opening day plans?

Swamp_bucks

Anyone have plans on where their first sit of the year will be in NY? 

I've been eyeing the weather and if it stays for what it's calling for it should be a nice opening morning. 

My plan as long as the wind is west of any sort I will have 3 choices either on the edge of 2 separate swamps or where a private agg fields leads to a 10yr old clear cut with tons of bedding with a big white oak just off the agg field 30 yards. 

I will drive around the night before to see what the areas look like and see if I can get eyes on one of the shooters.  Either way in just over a week I'll be sitting in a tree listening to the woods wake up.

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 2

Ive been watching the extended forecast wind and it changes every day. Right now its a N wind and i will be in my doe spots in the morning if there's N or NW wind, same with the evening on another property. 

Saturday ill more than likely head to PA and try to fill a doe tag there, have 9-10 doe on cam at a time taking the trail by my stand. 

Either way ill be in a stand somewhere most all of Friday-Monday.  I've got 9 tags to fill lol, and am taking kids out for NY youth and PA youth weekends.  I prefer to shoot doe in the morning early season so the rest of the deer go bed and I can take care of it. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

Opening morning I plan to be on the water for some eyes.  The afternoon i will be out with the bow though, in one of my close spots.  Either in a groundblind or a tree stand close to where we park.  Not hunting hard early this year just gonna be on the fringes early for a doe, then get serious later October!  pulling cams this weekend and see what the intel says!

preseason Roadkill view.jpg

preseason ground blind.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 2

Mornings early for me require a key knowledge that a buck is accessible in shooting light.

Whether that be some weather event, a crop coming down that delays him getting to bed, etc. AND in a way that we can get to the spot without blowing it out.

I am more likely to get up early, glass the fields at sunrise, hopefully find the bucks as they leave the field and make plans for intercepting them in the PM coming back to food.

Will be in a tree Saturday PM though in Ohio. Mostly looking for observation.

• Like 1

Same old place that I always go. A couple hundred yards up the hill behind my house to a plateau  half-way up the hill where I have a couple of ground-stands that I use depending on the wind direction. This plateau is a natural escape route for deer down in the valley as soon as the redcoats start marching in towards their stands. It is like a massive deer-drive with me as the stander.

Of course we already had our opening day of gun season here in 8N, and it was absolutely dead quiet completely through that entire useless season. I don't think anyone wanted to do battle with the mosquitos and the heat.......including me......lol.

I’m not sure of today’s date or when OD of bow is, I know it’s close . I’ve got a lot to do by mid Oct.The next couple days I want to put boat away, close the pool, after that camp a couple more times, oldest daughter has a week off her fiancé doesn’t and wants us to go up to the ADK , early Oct as well .

Ive pulled my cameras, I don’t scout , and last time I was there, they were cutting crops already , I suppose if it’s dry out I’ll sit the AM, I want a doe early to can , but it doesn’t even feel like “ hunting “ yet , so who knows .

Oh and my left knee hurts and makes walking an issue from time to time .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Depends somewhat on the weather...primarily the wind and how warm it is. If it is cooler, likely a back hardwood ridge about a 1/4 mile back from my camp. Breezy or warmer, my favorite stand which is very close by located on a active pathway. I really would hate to shoot anything opening morning though, no reason to go out for the rest of the week (ML season).

• Like 1

I may hit the lake property (always a ton of doe's) or the Pine Bush, earlier in the season? Won't hunt the farm until the first real cold snap. As We usually just hunt bucks there. And we have a bunch of work to do as well. I'm not a big fan of early season hunting.

Opening weekend, plan to go to Vermont with Mrs grampy. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

First year in the 10 years I have been hunting that I am skipping opening day and likely the first few weeks at least.  I do have a slam dunk doe spot but not really interested.   Good luck to those hitting the woods!

Just curious if your Cal property blows up the last weekend in October, like the Mendon property did?

1 hour ago, mowin said:

Most likely I won't hunt the first couple weeks. I'm still on the October 15th opener clock, lol

I am with you and Steuben Jerry. I typically don't get serious until around the 15th. I usually will spend most of the first two weeks scouting with a occasional sit depending on weather and sign.

With the majority of my hunting being on state land this year I will probably be doing more scouting than hunting the first two weeks.

My brother-in-law reported seeing rubs starting to pop up in 8n so it is time to get started on scouting if the weather stays cool.

• Like 1