Last Year Hunting The Pine Bush Property

grampy

The property I have permission to hunt in the western Pine Bush, is being sold. I was aware it could be sold last year when I gained access to it. Thought it might even get sold before this season? Got the call last night that this will definately be the last hunting season, before it goes on the market. So kinda bittersweet. 

Last year in there, I was at full draw on what would have been my biggest bow buck ever. Easily a 150" class deer. But he hung up, at less than 20 yards, I couldn't hold any longer, and had to let down. He was gone. 

So maybe I'll get a chance to redeem myself? We'll see? There are some huge bucks in 'The Bush' for bow only. I won't hunt there unless conditions are perfect. The deer in there are far from easy to hunt.

I know I am very fortunate to have the choices of properties that I have to hunt. A better, or less selective hunter than I, would likely have much more to show for it. 

As my bowhunting career winds down, my goal this year is to get just one more 'good one'. My best chance to do that is in the Pine Bush. Happy to get one more chance.

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Sorry you're losing that place, but if I can be bold enough to make a Biz-like prediction, that 150" buck will be a 165" buck this year when he's in your grateful hands!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jerry.

The property owner said he is indeed still on the property, and bigger this year. Along with a couple of buddies close to his size. We'll see? The Pine Bush is certainly a magical place. Access is the key. And not pressuring the bucks until conditions are perfect is the way to success. No doubt, many huge bucks in there die of old age behind some little old ladies house, in a 30 yard wide thicket.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Sorry you're losing that place, but if I can be bold enough to make a Biz-like prediction, that 150" buck will be a 165" buck this year when he's in your grateful hands!

nice try Jerry, but I actually have that buck at 168 3/8" this year.

On a serious note, good luck @grampy......and is there anyone you know who might be interested in buying it? assuming you aren't?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

nice try Jerry, but I actually have that buck at 168 3/8" this year.

On a serious note, good luck @grampy......and is there anyone you know who might be interested in buying it? assuming you aren't?

Thanks Biz.

Way over my price range, solidly in the seven figure range for 40 acres or so?  Will likely see condo's or townhouses go in there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Get the seat time in when it is right. Last year hunting it...I'd throw the baby out with the bathwater, lol. Fill that seat more than normal during the right hours and push boundaries (not property lines, but you get my drift). You have all of the ammo needed to swing for the fence!

Grampy, if you really think it's your last yr, I'd be in there every chance you get during the pre rut on. 

who knows maybe someone that wants to keep it wild will purchase it and ask the previous owner who he allowed on the property. 

• Like 1

That's a shame to lose more woods to condos!!! I drive through the pine bush (on rt20) every day to and home from work, We don't need any more developments around here. I've heard stories of some great deer in there. 

I have faith in you grampy! If you need help pulling him out, send me a PM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1