Best vacuum sealer

SWEDE

Do most here vacuum seal or saran wrap/ paper wrap deer.  I have a food saver that is malfunctioning.  The vac seal button only vacs then I have to press seal. Not getting tight seal. Wondering if I should invest in another brand or go back to plastic and meat paper. 

• Like 1

I went to vacuum sealing 6 years ago and have never gone back. Very little chance of freezer burn and much cheaper in the long run. Spend what’s needed to get a high quality piece of equipment and expand your packaging to ball jars and fruits. It’s a great way to stock up on food supplies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vacuum seal is the only way to go . The meat stays fresh for years . Earlier this year I found a pack of venison steaks that got buried on the wrong side of the freezer where I normally keep them . 2017 was the date on them . Tasted like I shot the deer the week before. Still all nice and tender. No freezer burn at all . They say that vacuum packing is good for 5 years if its done correctly

Vacuum packing is hands down the way to go. Depending on how much you use it, just get another one. If you do a lot, consider something made for high use. I have a Weston that we use for packing the chickens we sell at the farm. It has to be about 10 years old and has sealed thousands of bags. Only replaced the seals a couple times with no other issues.

I am on my second Foodsaver.  My first one was the ”plus” model and it lasted about 10 years.  It lost suction at 7 years and I took the pump apart and found a little speck of grit in it.  I cleaned that out and got 3 more years out of it.  You might want to try opening yours up and looking inside the pump.

When it lost suction again 2 years ago I couldn’t get it working again so I started using my spare base-model and that has worked well on 3 deer so far (one this year) and hundreds of fish.

We go thru an average of 3 deer a year and I usually just zip lock the first one killed.  It is usually gone in a few months so vacuum sealing that one would be a waste of time and money. Zip lock freezer bags are much faster to use and much cheaper.  Vacuum sealing is only worth it if freezing more than 3 months.

I did vacuum seal most of the button buck I killed a couple weeks ago (during the special early antlerless gun season) so that I could save that extra fine tasting meat for special occasions.  The liver and tenderloins were the best that I have ever tasted.  I can’t wait for the neck roast.  We will eat that soon as it is in a 1 gallon zip lock bag.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Trial153 said:

I would buy anything but a chamber sealer at this point.

I've got a old(70's) commercial floor model chamber vac. What a awesome piece of equipment. However it's past it's prime, and parts for this German made unit are hard to find and outrageously expensive. I'm thinking about getting a new one, but at around $800-$1000, I'm hesitant to do so. 

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

LEM makes a great vacuum sealer.  I got a MaxVac a few years ago and love it! 

I got tired of replacing the foodsavers every couple of years.  They are not built for 2-3 deer a year and i had to double seal everything or they would lose the seal.    

I'm with others who recommend chamber sealers.

Got this last year.  Best thing since slit skirts. 

https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer-.product.100536866.html

Works great on fish and wet foods.

Bags are much cheaper. 

• Like 1