Both Eyes Open

Splitear

I was shooting a few slugs today through my Browning, and since I’ve been shooting trap a little more often, I found myself shooting with both eyes open (like I do with clays) vs having my dominant eye closed which I have always done when shooting rifles or slugs . I didn’t do any side by side testing, but I think I was more accurate with this style of shooting. I did notice that I tended to focus more on my target, and less on my sights. I’m really intrigued and am going to try this a bit more with some of my other guns. 
I guess I’m curious how many of you are both eyes open shooters vs one eye open. Also, any tricks you can offer in breaking the “habit” would be appreciated. 

First, are you left handed or right handed?  2nd, which eye is your dominant eye?

I often shoot with both eyes open when using iron sights, because it allows me to "see through" the sights and see what would be hidden by them if I closed one eye.  I always close one eye when using a scope though.

With open sights, and optics, shotguns and rifles, I've always shot both eyes open. I would be all messed up if I closed my non dominant eye! Been doing it this way my whole life, even in the Army.

Even when I went to a peep sight on my compound bow, I continued to keep both eyes open.

I never claim to be a crack shot. But I usually hit where I aim.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

First, are you left handed or right handed?  2nd, which eye is your dominant eye?

There's the question to start with . I’m right handed but left eye dominate, so I can shoot right handed and close my left eye or buy all left handed guns . I’ve tried both anyone want to buy a left handed .270 ? 

I am all right handed (useless with my left) and severely left eye dominant. If I shoot both eyes open I only see the side of the barrel. SO I shoot with my left eye closed unless I am shooting trap, skeet or sporting clays. When doing that I have small static "dots" that I can put on the lens in line of sight in front of my left eye. This keeps my peripheral vision but makes my right eye register looking down the barrel.  

On 9/26/2021 at 8:30 AM, Nomad said:

There's the question to start with . I’m right handed but left eye dominate, so I can shoot right handed and close my left eye or buy all left handed guns . I’ve tried both anyone want to buy a left handed .270 ? 

YES! I'd buy that! 

Edited by Otto