Drone/deer video

Steuben Jerry

Free time and calm skies seem to rarely line up for me, but I took the drone up last evening. The camera is capable of 4K video but this is a bit pixelated as I used digital zoom so you you weren’t looking at little brown dots on the screen. Had to stay high enough to not spook them, although the neighbor’s mower gave me a little cover noise.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, grampy said:

So cool!!!

Is it hard to learn to fly one of those contraptions???

Not in the least. Navigation is all done on two joysticks, and there are canned subroutines for take off and landing. Lots and lots of other stuff to learn and get good at, but the basic navigation is very intuitive and learned in minutes.

• Thanks 1

Now on a serious note can those be used before you go out to hunt? Example: Hunter sends up drone to see if Hit List deer is in a field before dark. Drone conforms deer is there and he sneaks in and shoots it. Doesn't have to wait 4 hrs in stand. I hope you can't do that but who knows? 

9 minutes ago, First-light said:

Now on a serious note can those be used before you go out to hunt? Example: Hunter sends up drone to see if Hit List deer is in a field before dark. Drone conforms deer is there and he sneaks in and shoots it. Doesn't have to wait 4 hrs in stand. I hope you can't do that but who knows? 

I believe the DEC rules say "aircraft of any kind" can't be used. Even if legal, I wouldn't want to risk spooking anything in a pre-hunt situation. While the drone isn't loud, it is audible. Especially if it's fighting some wind. Sounds like a swarm of bees. I was at around 250-300 ft altitude when I spotted them on the screen and dropped down to maybe 150-175 feet to get the video. I had the benefit of one neighbor mowing, and a neighbor on the other side running a haybine, so I had quite a bit of cover noise in the area. 

Other times I've been at 200 ft with no other noises around and had them look right up at it. 

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, First-light said:

Not much different then a trail cam that vibrates your ass when your buck walk out into the field.   And people have issues with High Fence.  Whatever !!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Not much different then a trail cam that vibrates your ass when your buck walk out into the field.   And people have issues with High Fence.  Whatever !!

Yes some people do have issues with high fence. I don't, choose your hunt. I just think as technology evolves the way of hunting as some of us old guys remember will be a thing of the past. Hope not but that's how the world works, good ,bad or indifferent. 

• Like 3