Case Trimmer

airedale

Case Trimming, the one operation in handloading I do not like and anything that makes it move along I appreciate.

As most handloaders know brass cases that have been used several times will stretch in the neck area, especially so with hot cartridges like the 220 Swift and will need to be trimmed back to spec to avoid excessive pressures. There are all kinds of options for this job ranging from a simple file trim die to dedicated tools. For just a box or two of hunting ammo a file trim die is all you need but if you are a shooter that pulls the trigger a lot a dedicated case trimmer is the way to go. I started out with an original Lyman that used a hand crank, it worked decent but but for doing up a large batch of cases a bit slow and tedious.

I acquired a newer model Lyman that could be used with a power drill, it was just super on a big batch of once fired 223 Lake City military brass. It made that job a comparative breeze. I did find my Milwaukee drill a case of overkill and plain bulky. So today just tried out a different option, a relatively cheap little "Skill" cordless screwdriver. Jeeze it worked great, plenty of power for a few boxes of brass, and I just rolled off a batch of old Swift cases lickety split. 

This is a good little setup for anyone thinking about a new case trimmer.

Al

2021-09-26_075621.png

Edited by airedale
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Collette won't hold my 480 brass

Redding loading equipment is top notch, the micrometer adjustment is nice. I have to set the Lyman's length settings with a Vernier  caliper which is no big deal. One of the things that attracted me to the Lyman is they use common press shellholders to hold the cases.

Al

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, airedale said:

l One of the things that attracted me to the Lyman is they use common press shellholders to hold the cases.

Al

Yup kind of missed that part in my decision making progress. Suppose to be universal . My rcbs universal hand primer wont hold anything bigger than .45. I have to prime on the press for the 480 also  which is ok.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

This is a good little setup for anyone thinking about a new case trimmer.

Al

2021-09-26_075621.png

That's pretty slick!

I've been using a Frankfort Armory Universal Precision Case Trimmer for the last couple of months and really like it so far.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/case-preparation/case-trimming/universal-precision-case-trimmer/1092514.html

• Like 1

I have long used the Lyman manual. Usually I find a good movie on tv and settle down with it on my lap (it is mounted on a piece of hardwood). That and priming I can do in front of the tv which helps reduce the tedious chores.

The weird part of trimming....45 acp cases actually get shorter! I dont know if this is the case for all ranges of loadings, but it is a weird exception.