Time

YFKI1983

download the weather underground app. - I think thats what upstate took a pic of.  It will show that first and last light and it also gives you the hourly wind direction which is key! 
Good idea. My weather app usually tells me the opposite of what the real weather is anyway. I cant tell you how many times it shows sunny while I'm getting rained on in a treestand

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YFKI1983 said:

Good idea. My weather app usually tells me the opposite of what the real weather is anyway. I cant tell you how many times it shows sunny while I'm getting rained on in a treestand

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

i use it all the time to plan on where i am going to hunt.  Huntstand is also great - it will show where your scent will be going based on the wind direction

Screenshot_20210927-070556.png

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

Rule of thumb is to be in stand at least one hour before legal sunrise. Esp now with the officially legal thirty min prior.

Not a huge fan of only being in stand 5-10 min before you can shoot. Leads to rushing, sweating, and mistakes IMO. Chasing daylight is bad.

Edited by phade
  • Like 6

I like to walk in as I can just start to see, as I walk in along farm fields and glass them as I go . Leads to far less blowing them out of the fields and allows me to stop , and set up short or change to a different stand altogether.

If I’m going with someone who,likes to be in while it’s dark ,I’ll go so I’m up maybe ten minutes in the dark .

Friday shooting light is 6:40 AM so I’ll be at the stand close to  6:40 . Maybe 6:30 as I think the ratchet  strap is still loose and the strap for my safety line isn’t in place yet either , not sure if there’s a haul line ….

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I like to walk in as I can just start to see, as I walk in along farm fields and glass them as I go . Leads to far less blowing them out of the fields and allows me to stop , and set up short or change to a different stand altogether.

If I’m going with someone who,likes to be in while it’s dark ,I’ll go so I’m up maybe ten minutes in the dark .

Friday shooting light is 6:40 AM so I’ll be at the stand close to  6:40 . Maybe 6:30 as I think the ratchet  strap is still loose and the strap for my safety line isn’t in place yet either , not sure if there’s a haul line ….

I started doing sort of the same thing the past couple years after reading a few guys on here do this. I'm still in and set up a wee bit before the sky starts to brighten and let everything calm down. Doing this last year I saw more deer then in a lot of years prior and that helped spark me to be out there more days then I have ever hunted before in my life. 

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

This is me. And after very many years of being in my stand way before light, I've found this to be a much better way. 

"Most" times, I'll just slip along VERY slow, just as it's getting light enough to see. Almost like still hunting, but slightly faster. I've found I bump far less deer, and have even gotten shot opportunities I would not have had, had I already been sitting in my stand.

Of course, there are certain days like the opening of firearm season, I want to be in, and settled long before first light. 

I noticed while hunting a couple mornings and most afternoons of the early antlerless season this year, that the full half hour early was useful, as far as seeing details thru a decent scope.

Only 20 minutes was useful after sunset (as posted for the area on the weather channels).   The last legal 10 minutes was too dark to see anything thru the scope.   Maybe, in an open field, with a full moon, that last 10 minutes will be safe.

• Like 1