Wyoming Muley Hunt

eaglemountainman

There's only one thing that I anticipate more than my Savage 99 Collecters Club Rendezvous in Pa. each year, and that is my annual trip to Wyoming. Just ten more days till my flight on 10/7. I'll be looking for another muley buck and a chance to let this old girl eat.
'59 99F 250Sav, minus the sling, pushing Hornady 100 Interlocks like a laser.

Good luck to all on your adventures this year.

qtlUQZA.jpg

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 10

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Nothing beats Mule Deer hunting IMO. I currently got 6 PP's for Wyoming. Where you headed?

The Great Basin....Actually NE of there.

I don't build points for muleys or antelope. The most I've had was 1. A really good deer or pronghorn is always possible no matter what unit. And a high point unit carries no guarantees. I'd rather hunt every year. Elk are a different story. 

20 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

The Great Basin....Actually NE of there.

I don't build points for muleys or antelope. The most I've had was 1. A really good deer or pronghorn is always possible no matter what unit. And a high point unit carries no guarantees. I'd rather hunt every year. Elk are a different story. 

Yup. I went in 2012 and 2014 with no PP'a for deer/lope. Have 7 elk PP's right now. I just add deer and lope each year too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trial153 said:

I will probably keep holding my points till G makes a bit of a come back. It was fantastic when hunted it however it’s been a rough 10 years. Wyoming for mule deer in general doesn’t excite right now compared to few other states.

I got a pretty nice buck last year, and saw a few others on the ranch that I hunt that I hope to see again this year.

3 hours ago, blaine35 said:

Good luck to you! Flying on 9/29 to visit friends in Montana then to Wyoming for Mule deer and Antelope. Hunt starts 10/6. First time, can't wait for the experience.

You'll have a blast! Have some patience with those antelope and look a few over before you punch your tag.  Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can’t see paying anything to hunt mule deer in the lower 48 when you can do it for free. Apply fora hand full of good limited entry tags every year and some point draw and go hunt. First cut your teeth on couple easy to draw tag so you make the most of a good tag when you get it.
The only mule deer hunts worth paying for are in Alberta

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the blur said:

I can't see spending $5k on a mule deer hunt.  They are sooooo similar to white tail.

Antelope, sure, I did that for $2k.     225 yards, 2 hours,   1 hour later at the butcher !

Mule Deer are nothing like whitetail. You are typically spot & stalk hunting, never sitting. If you hunt early October they are in bachelor groups. Regarding price, it can be $5K, $15K, or much cheaper. The second time I went I paid a young guy a trespass fee ($3K) to hunt his parents land. It was 70,000 acres (not a typo). I shot both a mule deer (170") and antelope (>70") and had a guest house to sleep in and home cooked meals by his girlfriend.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Just got in from Wyoming yesterday.

Well, for the second year my intention was to shoot a Wyoming muley with an iron sighted 99. This year, I brought the '59 99F in .250. But this year's drought had the sage and Greasewood stunted so badly that it offered no cover for a stalk and shot within 150. Plus the muleys had multiple problems this year, and were pretty much absent. I had to resort to plan B, and switch focus to whitetails. I was forced to go back to the Kimber again this year. It's a boringly accurate and reliable killer.....but it's not a 99. I was targeting a huge main frame 10 with stickers and junk everywhere. I saw him 3 days in a row through the spotter, but ran out of light before he was within my comfort zone. Shitty weather was forecast with heavy snow and 30-40mph winds starting on 10/12 and lasting till the end of my hunt. On 10/11, this guy showed up with about 5 minutes of light left at 230 yards. The 7-08 turned his lungs to jelly and split his heart in half. He fell in his tracks and never moved. In the few minutes it took us to walk out to him, it was full pitch dark when we reached him. Still sitting in camp today, looking out at the snow and wind. Wyoming is an incredible place to hunt, and I had a blast again this year. But, she'll have to wait another year to hear, " the spiteful crack of the 250 Sav". -Jim Bashline.
Good luck to all this season.

EDIT: It really was full dark when we took photos. These phone cameras are amazing in their ability to gather light where seemingly, there is NONE to be had.

123_1(2).jpeg

• Like 14

Just got in from Wyoming yesterday.   Well, for the second year my intention was to shoot a Wyoming muley with an iron sighted 99. This year, I brought the '59 99F in .250. But this year's drought had the sage and Greasewood stunted so badly that it offered no cover for a stalk and shot within 150. Plus the muleys had multiple problems this year, and were pretty much absent. I had to resort to plan B, and switch focus to whitetails. I was forced to go back to the Kimber again this year. It's a boringly accurate and reliable killer.....but it's not a 99. I was targeting a huge main frame 10 with stickers and junk everywhere. I saw him 3 days in a row through the spotter, but ran out of light before he was within my comfort zone. Shitty weather was forecast with heavy snow and 30-40mph winds starting on 10/12 and lasting till the end of my hunt. On 10/11, this guy showed up with about 5 minutes of light left at 230 yards. The 7-08 turned his lungs to jelly and split his heart in half. He fell in his tracks and never moved. In the few minutes it took us to walk out to him, it was full pitch dark when we reached him. Still sitting in camp today, looking out at the snow and wind. Wyoming is an incredible place to hunt, and I had a blast again this year. But, she'll have to wait another year to hear, " the spiteful crack of the 250 Sav". -Jim Bashline. Good luck to all this season.   EDIT: It really was full dark when we took photos. These phone cameras are amazing in their ability to gather light where seemingly, there is NONE to be had.     123_1(2).thumb.jpeg.0435811efaff4194f5d094db62b5a655.jpeg

Congrats! They say Wyoming is a sleeper state for big whitetails. I seeen a few when hunting Mule Deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Congrats! They say Wyoming is a sleeper state for big whitetails. I seeen a few when hunting Mule Deer

Colorado also has some big whitetail. In Colorado whitetails seem to be pushing the mule deer right out. Talking to a couple ranchers out there they say see a whitetail shoot it. They are cross breading with mule deer. One guy in our camp shot a doe that was half and half. Mule deer ears with a whitetail and the the prettiest coat of ever seen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cory said:

Colorado also has some big whitetail. In Colorado whitetails seem to be pushing the mule deer right out. Talking to a couple ranchers out there they say see a whitetail shoot it. They are cross breading with mule deer. One guy in our camp shot a doe that was half and half. Mule deer ears with a whitetail and the the prettiest coat of ever seen.

Lots of muley/whitetail crosses where I  hunt. Full on muley with a whitetail rack.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:30 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I've seen some very nice whitetails in my area the last three years. It's great to have that option to fall back on, when the big muleys fail to show.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:57 AM, eaglemountainman said:
There's only one thing that I anticipate more than my Savage 99 Collecters Club Rendezvous in Pa. each year, and that is my annual trip to Wyoming. Just ten more days till my flight on 10/7. I'll be looking for another muley buck and a chance to let this old girl eat.
'59 99F 250Sav, minus the sling, pushing Hornady 100 Interlocks like a laser.

Good luck to all on your adventures this year.

qtlUQZA.jpg

Savage 99 collectors get together you say? I’m interested in such an event 

11 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Savage 99 collectors get together you say? I’m interested in such an event 

Yep. On FB, join Savage 99 Club, run by Joe Brady. Every year he hosts a 3 day event at his hunting club in Noxon Pa. around the last weekend in August. We all display our 99s, shoot at the range and have a few cocktails at night and BS about firearms and hunting. It's a real good time with some great guys.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:30 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

North eastern /blackhills region has, some big whitails,